Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which prospect are you the most excited about for 2019?

Which prospect are you the most excited about for 2019?

Has to be in the Reds organization today, so, no anticipating upcoming draft choices? What player stands out to you and why?

For me it's Josiah Gray. I love me some high K low baserunner pitchers, but what astonished me was he racked up 52 IP. All as a SP. He'll be pushed to add some inning totals to his starts, but the astonishing thing is in those 52 innings he allowed 1 HR.

1. HR.

Now I don't know how the Appy League rates as far as HR's go. But 1 seems pretty good. I'm guessing he's slated for Dayton next year, instead of Billings to get him into full season ball. He's 20 years old right now.

Forget the rankings by the "experts". Many of you are the experts having seen these guys play in person, online and have tracked them since their amateur days. For me, this is a numbers pick. His stand out to me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

klw (11-29-2018),mace (11-29-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Which prospect are you the most excited about for 2019?

Mike Siani. I suspect he'll move straight to Dayton as well. He'll be 20 by mid-season, so kind of a late start for a high schooler. He's got to prove his hit tool (again). I'm really curious to see how he does.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

mace (11-29-2018),marcshoe (11-29-2018),RiverRat13 (12-01-2018)

Jake Taylor Jr.

Taylor Trammell, because I think he's the most dynamic prospect they've got and we're going to see his power take a step forward.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-29-2018),RiverRat13 (12-01-2018)

Gotta admit I'm curious about Hunter Greene.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Big year for Greene, seeing if he can both stay healthy and continue to develop. Siani's a guy I'm watching as well. I'd also like to include Josiah Gray, but I'm just naming guys who've already been mentioned. So. . . .

Let's go with Stuart Fairchild and Hendrik Clementina. I find both of these guys intriguing, wondering whether they're fully legit.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Trammell. Siani is interesting, but he'll be in A ball. Trammell's progression to AA-AAA is far more interesting to me.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

12. Likes:

nmculbreth (11-29-2018),Old school 1983 (11-29-2018)

India, Beltre, and Moss are my top 3.

I continue to be very much invested in Jose Siri. The glove is there, the speed is there, the power is there. I'm excited to see if he can fully unlock his inner Carlos Gomez.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Mitri (11-30-2018),redsmetz (11-30-2018),Spanky (11-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I continue to be very much invested in Jose Siri. The glove is there, the speed is there, the power is there. I'm excited to see if he can fully unlock his inner Carlos Gomez.
    Ditto
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Nick Senzel. Obvious answer but where he ends up position wise is what intrigues me most. Where he ends up will dictate which of the Reds trade chips are included in a deal for an arm. If he plays 2B, then Gennett is likely the guy dealt and they aren't solving any long term pitching problems that way. If he's at 3B, Suarez may go and I'd expect a major haul. If he's in CF, Billy is probably gone and while it does little for the staff, it probably makes Senzel even more impressive. If it's a corner, it may free up Winker for a deal and I think he could be a central figure to acquire an arm. Same if Senzel himself is the guy traded.

To me, how the Reds parlay the one depth player ready to move into the line-up into a starting pitcher is the most important decision this team has to make.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

drowg14 (11-29-2018),Griffey012 (11-29-2018),UKFlounder (11-29-2018)

OF Mariel Bautista. He has hit everywhere and last year seemed to have a bit of a power surge to boot. He finally will get to play a full season so it will interesting to see if it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I love Siri's skills, and always have, but I've got some misgivings about his makeup, which causes me to consider him the prospect I'd be most inclined to trade. He and maybe Greene, about whom my inner jury is still out.

21. Likes:

redsmetz (11-30-2018)

Senzel's likely a major leaguer after the first couple of weeks, so I'll go with Hunter Greene.

Kid's fun to follow. He does things remarkably few prospects can do, and that upside is gigantic. Reminds me of Aroldis Chapman, but with more maturity and presence about his marketability.

Beyond Greene are Josiah Gray and Tony Santillan.

So if Senzel is too close to the big leagues to count, I'll go with Jimmy Herget for the same reasons. Could Herget be a major contributor in the pen with Iglesias dealt as a centerpiece for rotation help and somebody like David Hernandez moving into the closer role?

Sorry. I think the intent of this thread may have been different than how I've answered, but pretty much any development that doesn't end with the Reds filling a hole in the rotation on a multiple season basis doesn't move the needle for me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?