Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which prospect are you the most excited about for 2019?

Re: Which prospect are you the most excited about for 2019?

Probably my top three would be Greene,Trammell, and Santillan. Anxious to see if any of those three can take a step forward.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gray, certainly. Jose Garcia. Am curious to see if Ibandel Isabel can build on his very big season. And am interested to follow some of last year's draft choices in their first full seasons--notably, Rylan Thomas, Mike Siani, and of course India.
    Last edited by mace; 11-29-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Andy Sugilio

He's got a speed/power skill set that only a handful of guys in the system have, if that many.

5. Likes:

mace (11-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Let's go with Stuart Fairchild and Hendrik Clementina. I find both of these guys intriguing, wondering whether they're fully legit.
    The question about Clementina will be if he has lost weight or not. Bodies of that size just don't survive long. Think of end of career Dmitri Young only at the age of 21
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Debby 'Snack Cakes' Santana. He exploded onto the scene in 2017 as a 16-year old, OPSing .804 in the DSL. He was brought over to the States as a 17-year-old, but got off to a slow start in the Arizona Rookie League. He finally got untracked in the final month of the season, posting a stat line of .329/.380/.589/.969. Fidel Castro, and his +.900 OPS across two levels, is also worth keeping an eye on.

8. Likes:

mace (11-30-2018),RiverRat13 (12-01-2018),TRF (11-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Debby 'Snack Cakes' Santana. He exploded onto the scene in 2017 as a 16-year old, OPSing .804 in the DSL. He was brought over to the States as a 17-year-old, but got off to a slow start in the Arizona Rookie League. He finally got untracked in the final month of the season, posting a stat line of .329/.380/.589/.969. Fidel Castro, and his +.900 OPS across two levels, is also worth keeping an eye on.
    Santana and Castro should be in Billings this year.

I'd love for one or both to force their way to Dayton by the end of the season.

Jeter Downs and Tyler Stephenson feel like the lost prospects on Redszone. Both put up quietly solid seasons in 2018, let's see if Ty Steve can tap into that power we know is there, and if Downs can keep hitting as he moves into the upper minors.

11. Likes:

HokieRed (11-30-2018),M2 (11-30-2018),mace (11-30-2018),mth123 (11-30-2018),SoTxRedsFan (11-30-2018)

bumping this for some ST discussion.

And because I now need to pick a different player.

I'm going with India. The subject of so many off season rumors, he has to have a little chip on his shoulder. Vlad the impaler has been pitching very well in ST so far.I think he's jumping up the depth chart.

And while he is no longer a prospect, I feel Aquino is going to have a very interesting year in Louisville. If he is really learning to take a free pass, he's got dangerous power.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

India for me. I'm kind of expecting him to be our top prospect come Oct.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

14. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (03-08-2019),Vander (03-08-2019)

Vlad is really interesting me. Could just be a mirage, but He seems close to being ready for the bigs.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

16. Likes:

JaxRed (03-07-2019),Kingspoint (03-20-2019),Senzling Hot (03-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    India for me. I'm kind of expecting him to be our top prospect come Oct.
    Pretty much this. Though, it will be hard for him to leapfrog Greene and Trammell, I do expect him to become an elite prospect.

Is it weird to say, after 15 years on this part of ORG, that the Reds have kinda taken the excitement and/or anticipation of prospects away from me at this point? They are just so slow to move them and debut them, even top prospects, that it is hard for me to really get all that jazzed about any of them. That's a "me" issue, I acknowledge. Now Atlanta, that's an org that knows how to move prospects and build excitement.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Vlad is really interesting me. Could just be a mirage, but He seems close to being ready for the bigs.
    Agreed on Vlad. His peripherals suggest he's more than his sum thus far. He's always shown good control and the ability to strike guys out. It doesn't take much imagination to see things clicking for him and taking a big step forward this year.

I'm really excited about Tyler Stephenson as well. He's hardly under the radar, but he's a guy who seems to have the components to be great. Best I can tell, he's a big league catcher. Defensively, it sounds like he can hold his own, and he's got a good enough idea at the plate to at least get an extended look as a MLB starter. He's got great patience at the plate and appears to have reasonably good contact skills, but he's never hit for much in the way of power. He's a big dude -- 6-feet, 4 inches and 225 pounds -- and I hope there's some untapped slugging in there. His ISO has been creeping up each season -- .093, .108, .136, .142 -- and if he can turn some of that size into more power and become a .200+ ISO guy, we're really onto something. A legit catcher with patience and pop could be a difference maker for the Reds.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-10-2019),Griffey012 (03-08-2019),Kingspoint (03-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Agreed on Vlad. His peripherals suggest he's more than his sum thus far. He's always shown good control and the ability to strike guys out. It doesn't take much imagination to see things clicking for him and taking a big step forward this year.

I'm really excited about Tyler Stephenson as well. He's hardly under the radar, but he's a guy who seems to have the components to be great. Best I can tell, he's a big league catcher. Defensively, it sounds like he can hold his own, and he's got a good enough idea at the plate to at least get an extended look as a MLB starter. He's got great patience at the plate and appears to have reasonably good contact skills, but he's never hit for much in the way of power. He's a big dude -- 6-feet, 4 inches and 225 pounds -- and I hope there's some untapped slugging in there. His ISO has been creeping up each season -- .093, .108, .136, .142 -- and if he can turn some of that size into more power and become a .200+ ISO guy, we're really onto something. A legit catcher with patience and pop could be a difference maker for the Reds.
    I am also excited to watch Vlad. I see him take a huge step forward and debuting this year. I'm also interested to see Herget. I think he can be a high quality bullpen arm in the majors this year.

You want to see Gutierrez and Santillan smoothly proceed to the big leagues. Show themselves to be better equipped than the last round of starting pitching prospects. They should both hit AAA this season, maybe Vlad begins at AAA. Want to see a smooth transition and maybe a big league callup by the end of the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-08-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Turn Off Ads?