Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 136

Thread: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

  1. #1
    Member RedsfaninMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    1,182

    Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Doug has an article up about at www.redsminorleagues.com, but Aquino is gone. I'm shocked at this move.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,760

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    This move makes no sense to me, and Doug did a great job of explains how baffling it is.

    The Reds save no money, and open up a forth 40 man roster spot, that likely won’t be needed for quite awhile, if at all.

    Unless the Reds are close to signing 4 free agents in the next few days, I don’t see why they felt the need to make this move.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    25,744

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    The Enquirer article on this says (via Krall) that Reds plan to sign Aquino and the two others non-tendered (Patterson, Graterol) to minor league deals.

    It could be that Reds already have advance deals to sign them to minor league contracts. Or it could be that Reds just rolled the dice they could re-sign them.

    Either way, Reds obviously believed they had better things to do with those roster spots and would be active shortly filling those spots.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2018 at 01:21 PM.

  5. #4
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,728

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Enquirer article on this says (via Krall) that Reds plan to sign Aquino and the two others non-tendered (Patterson, Graterol) to minor league deals.

    It could be that Reds already have advance deals to sign them to minor league contracts. Or it could be that Reds just rolled the dice they could re-sign them.

    Either way, Reds obviously believed they had better things to do with those roster spots and would be active shortly filling those spots.
    It makes sense to non-tender them-- if they're signing some free agents. Otherwise, the timing is questionable.

  6. #5
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,760

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It makes sense to non-tender them-- if they're signing some free agents. Otherwise, the timing is questionable.
    Right, as Doug pointed out, ther weren’t signed to MLB deals, so this doesn’t save the Reds any money, even if they resign them.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    25,744

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right, as Doug pointed out, ther weren’t signed to MLB deals, so this doesn’t save the Reds any money, even if they resign them.
    But Aquino just spent two years at AA and his better season was .754 OPS. Maybe the Reds just wanted the roster space and don’t see Aquino having that much potential. Maybe they’re happy to keep him, but only on a minor league deal.

  8. #7
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,760

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But Aquino just spent two years at AA and his better season was .754 OPS. Maybe the Reds just wanted the roster space and don’t see Aquino having that much potential. Maybe they’re happy to keep him, but only on a minor league deal.
    They have 3 empty roster spaces with him on the 40 man roster. They don’t need a 4th.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

  9. #8
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,952

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right, as Doug pointed out, ther weren’t signed to MLB deals, so this doesn’t save the Reds any money, even if they resign them.
    It definitely saves them money, had they stayed on the 40 man through today they would have been guaranteed 89.5K$ next year. Now they can be signed for peanuts.

  10. Likes:

    Kc61 (12-01-2018),lollipopcurve (12-02-2018),mth123 (12-01-2018),Old school 1983 (12-01-2018)

  11. #9
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,760

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    It definitely saves them money, had they stayed on the 40 man through today they would have been guaranteed 89.5K$ next year. Now they can be signed for peanuts.
    But someone else who is now getting peanuts will get that $89K, unless thwy plan to play the season with only 39 players on their 40 man roster. And players don’t get paid in the off season, so they aren’t saving anything now.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

  12. #10
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,492

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Several teams made similar moves to clear minor leaguers from the 40 man roster yesterday. I don't really understand why now as opposed to a week ago when they were setting the 40 man roster, but there must be something buried deep in the roster rules that makes it advantageous. Either way, I don't think Aquino or Graterol needed to be on the 40 man roster. Patterson strikes me as a guy who might have a chance to help the big league team.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  13. #11
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,952

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But someone else who is now getting peanuts will get that $89K, unless thwy plan to play the season with only 39 players on their 40 man roster. And players don’t get paid in the off season, so they aren’t saving anything now.
    And that theoretical player is better than Aquino in the Reds eyes, why does that upset you?

  14. #12
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,760

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    And that theoretical player is better than Aquino in the Reds eyes, why does that upset you?
    Because the Reds now risk losing Aquino when there is no clear reason why they needed to take that risk.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

  15. #13
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,492

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because the Reds now risk losing Aquino when there is no clear reason why they needed to take that risk.
    There is no clear reason to keep him either and no real clear reason to worry about it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  16. Likes:

    Griffey012 (12-01-2018),OGB (12-07-2018),RiverRat13 (12-01-2018),Rojo Rijo (12-03-2018)

  17. #14
    Member Kinsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,952

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Because the Reds now risk losing Aquino when there is no clear reason why they needed to take that risk.
    They didn't see a big league future, and I don't blame them.

  18. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (12-03-2018),OGB (12-07-2018),Old school 1983 (12-01-2018),RiverRat13 (12-01-2018),Rojo Rijo (12-03-2018)

  19. #15
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    22,760

    Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There is no clear reason to keep him either and no real clear reason to worry about it.
    The clear reason is that he is a positive asset at this point. He has value as prospect, and could be included in trades.

    It’s basicslly like throwing a five dollar bill out your car window. It’s not that big deal, but why do it?
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator