Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

It's like dropping a penny at the McDonald's window, he had no trade value.

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-01-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    They didn't see a big league future, and I don't blame them.
    MLB history is full of guys who were less talented than Aquino who turned into productive major leaguers.

Even if they don’t see a big league future, they gain nothing by non-tenderong him.

- - - Updated - - -

There your opinion.

He has one down year in AA, with a much better second half. Players much less talented than him have been included in trades this off season already.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But someone else who is now getting peanuts will get that $89K, unless thwy plan to play the season with only 39 players on their 40 man roster. And players don’t get paid in the off season, so they aren’t saving anything now.
    FYI, I don't think you and Doug are understanding the money in this move. It does save them 89K. Had they carried him through today that's what he would have been owed, had he then been DFA'd or released later (which is alll but a certainty since it's clear the Reds wanted that roster spot and he only had 1 option remaining) the person taking his spot would have cost at least another 89K.

FYI, I don't think you and Doug are understanding the money in this move. It does save them 89K. Had they carried him through today that's what he would have been owed, had he then been DFA'd or released later (which is alll but a certainty since it's clear the Reds wanted that roster spot and he only had 1 option remaining) the person taking his spot would have cost at least another 89K.
    Thanks for the info:

But that makes the Reds loom even worse.

I’d rather they just be crazy than that cheap. If the Reds need that money, they are doomed.

Seems about right to me. Sure, less talented guys have panned out, but, really, what are the odds of Aquino becoming more than an I 71 shuffle guy? He hit the AA wall pretty hard, and, frankly, I think MLB pitching would chew him up and spit him out at this point. Sure, take him back if he signs a minors deal...guy has some potential. There is no need to eat up a 40 man spot for him, especially if the Reds are gearing up to add more talent.

8. Likes:

OGB (12-07-2018)

The clear reason is that he is a positive asset at this point. He has value as prospect, and could be included in trades.

Its basicslly like throwing a five dollar bill out your car window. Its not that big deal, but why do it?
    I think it's more like throwing a powerball ticket out of the window without checking it. Probably doesn't matter, especially after Aquino didn't impress much in 2017 or 2018. Bummer after his impressive 2016 campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I think it's more like throwing a powerball ticket out of the window without checking it. Probably doesn't matter, especially after Aquino didn't impress much in 2017 or 2018. Bummer after his impressive 2016 campaign.
    I really don’t understand this mindset.

Why throw anything away? Using this logic, the Reds might as well non tender Shed Long, Tanner Rainey, Jose Lopez, Jose Reyes, and Blake Trehan. All these guys are long shots for being meaningful MLB contributors.

Again, outside of saving at most $89K, the Reds gain nothing from this. It’s throwing away an asset with value.

I really don’t understand this mindset.

Why throw anything away? Using this logic, the Reds might as well non tender Shed Long, Tanner Rainey, Jose Lopez, Jose Reyes, and Blake Trehan. All these guys are long shots for being meaningful MLB contributors.

Again, outside of saving at most $89K, the Reds gain nothing from this. It’s throwing away an asset with value.
    Except those guys bring something to the table Aquino doesn't. Trahan is the only plus fielding SS on the roster. Long is a fairly potent LH bat at 2B. Reyes intrigues me as a BP option. I agree on Rainey and Lopez. Pitchers are more scarce and take longer I suppose.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except those guys bring something to the table Aquino doesn't. Trahan is the only plus fielding SS on the roster. Long is a fairly potent LH bat at 2B. Reyes intrigues me as a BP option. I agree on Rainey and Lopez. Pitchers are more scarce and take longer I suppose.
    Aquino brings a great arm, power when he connects and athleticism. He was a top prospect, borderline top 100 MLB prospect just a few years ago, and last year he wasn’t great, but he wasn’t bad either at AA. It’s not like we’re talking about Nick Howard or Gavin Lavalley. Aquino still has some juice.

This is like when someone wasted bandwidth last year complaining about the Reds dumping Chad Wallach and Zach Vincej.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-03-2018),RiverRat13 (12-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is like when someone wasted bandwidth last year complaining about the Reds dumping Chad Wallach and Zach Vincej.
    That was dumb by the Reds too. They lost assets for no reason. This year was worse, because Wallch and Vince we’re past prospect status. Aquino still has that.

Two years in a row, they clear roster space for no reason, and risk losing guys they could have held onto.

Not a big deal, but dumb nonetheless.

If I intentionally throw out a can of soup that I may or may not need, for no reason, it’s a dumb move. Not a big deal, but still dumb.

Some much anger over the Reds not getting something for Harvey or Hamilton, and it’s likely what was offered was less valuable than Aquino, and yet nothing over this.
    Last edited by 757690; 12-01-2018 at 08:56 PM.

But someone else who is now getting peanuts will get that $89K, unless thwy plan to play the season with only 39 players on their 40 man roster. And players don’t get paid in the off season, so they aren’t saving anything now.
    I don’t see your argument here.

Aquino had two years to master AA ball, and didn’t do it. Why pay him $89,500 and give him a roster spot? Reds simply don’t feel he’s developed sufficiently as a prospect.

If Player X now gets that roster spot and money, it’s because the Reds see Player X as more useful or having more potential than Aquino. The money may be spent, but on a player Reds prefer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t see your argument here.

Aquino had two years to master AA ball, and didn’t do it. Why pay him $89,500 and give him a roster spot? He simply hasn’t developed sufficiently as a prospect.

If Player X now gets that roster spot and money, it’s because the Reds see Player X as more useful or having more potential than Aquino. The money may be spent, but on a player Reds prefer.
    He improved in his second year at AA.

More importantly, who is this mystery hypothetical prospect that is more advanced and a better prospect in the Reds system than Aquino? Again, this is the 4th roster spot that opened, so you need to find 4 better prospects.

He improved in his second year at AA.

More importantly, who is this mystery hypothetical prospect that is more advanced and a better prospect in the Reds system than Aquino? Again, this is the 4th roster spot that opened, so you need to find 4 better prospects.
    He improved over two seasons to be a .754 OPS AA corner outfielder.

And why do you limit the four roster spots to “prospects”? The spots will likely be used for newly acquired veterans. And maybe Nick Senzel out of spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He improved over two seasons to be a .754 OPS AA corner outfielder.

And why do you limit the four roster spots to “prospects”? The spots will likely be used for newly acquired veterans. And maybe Nick Senzel out of spring training.
    They likely won’t neee to fill those spots until late in spring training. Why not wait until then, as it’s likely the depth chart will change by then. There was no need to make this decision now.

Turn Off Ads?