Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They likely won’t neee to fill those spots until late in spring training. Why not wait until then, as it’s likely the depth chart will change by then. There was no need to make this decision now.
    There were 87,500 reasons to make the decision now. Yesterday was the non-tender deadline. They didn’t want to tender him that contract.

$87,500 isn’t much for a player you want. It is wasted money for a player you intend to drop off roster. Reds simply didn’t want to spend that much money on this particular player.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2018 at 10:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There wer 87,500 reasons to make the decision now. Yesterday was the non-tender deadline. They didn’t want to tender him that contract.

$87,500 isn’t a lot for a player you want. It is wasted money if paid to a player you intend to drop off roster, which seems to be the case here.
    If the Reds need to risk losing a prospect like Aquino in order to save what basically is what their food spread costs for a weekend, then they are forever doomed.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

4. Likes:

Alabama (12-02-2018)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

It's like driving thru at McDonald's and buying a can of tomato soup and a lotto ticket for $5.01 and then throwing them out the window at baseball executives who are too afraid of screwing up to make aggressive moves. Or something.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Likes:

757690 (12-01-2018),Alabama (12-02-2018),Hoosier Red (12-06-2018)

If the Reds need to risk losing a prospect like Aquino in order to save what basically is what their food spread costs for a weekend, then they are forever doomed.
    You are trying to turn this into some blunder by the Reds - in the timing of the move.

But the Reds obviously don’t see the value in Aquino that you do. They acted accordingly.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2018 at 10:31 PM.

8. Likes:

OGB (12-07-2018),Sea Ray (12-03-2018)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

I can think of at least one non-monetary reasons for cutting these guys now:

They don't have to pass them through waivers, where all a team needs to do to obtain them is claim them. Before the 40 man was set, they'd have had to be waived.

It could be that the players struck deals to pay them the $89,500, or whatever it is, immediately following their non-tender. Doing this now gives them maximum roster flexibility at minimum risk.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

They don't have to pass them through waivers, where all a team needs to do to obtain them is claim them. Before the 40 man was set, they'd have had to be waived.

It could be that the players struck deals to pay them the $89,500, or whatever it is, immediately following their non-tender. Doing this now gives them maximum roster flexibility at minimum risk.
    Okay, thank you. That may be the case and that would make sense. We’ll see if that is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

I could understand pre-arranged understandings to sign these players to minor league deals. Not knowing the rules, that seems plausible.

But if you’re suggesting there are (secret) agreements to reinstate these players to 40-man roster spots that’s inconceivable.

MLB would never allow it. How can a team present itself as having four open roster spots when it actually has agreements to fill three of them?
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-01-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Aquino is going to be 25 next year. If we are going to throw a fit because they released him from the 40 man, we should first complain that they did the same to Jordan Patterson.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

13. Likes:

OGB (12-07-2018)

I really dont understand this mindset.

Why throw anything away? Using this logic, the Reds might as well non tender Shed Long, Tanner Rainey, Jose Lopez, Jose Reyes, and Blake Trehan. All these guys are long shots for being meaningful MLB contributors.

Again, outside of saving at most $89K, the Reds gain nothing from this. Its throwing away an asset with value.
    It's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. Aquino wasn't going to help the Reds in 2019; he got 1 PA in the show in 2018 after putting up a pedestrian line in his second year at AA. His spot will likely go to a player who at worst will provide similar value to the franchise that Aquino would and at best who will be a difference maker at the MLB level, either due to trade or free agency. Long et. al. are more valuable to the franchise for reasons listed below, as well as perceived trade value; Aquino carries significantly less value than fringe top-100 Long and interesting pitcher Reyes, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-04-2018)

Looks like I'm having McDonalds for lunch.

*Driving away "Dangit they forgot my Aquino.....oh well, i'll live."

17. Likes:

OGB (12-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post

Ha! Would anyone turn the car around and go ask to speak to the manager?

Hahaha, this is great.

I saw this and was like “dude is never going to make the majors. Who cares?”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Some of the most ridiculous stuff being said in this thread.

To me, pretty solid chance there was an agreement made ahead of time. Lets see how it plays out before concluding this was "dumb asset management by the Reds".

Lots of stuff happens behind closed doors that we aren't privy too.

We also dont know how the Reds plan to use the vacant 40 man roster spots. The end result could very easily justify the decision to remove Aquino from the roster.

To me, just a lot of wasted, uneducated words being thrown around in this thread, over what is mostly being seen as a "non-prospect" of sorts. If teams were salivating to use a 40 man roster spot on him, I can guarantee you the Reds would have found a suitor via trade. Proof of how he is seen around the league speaks volumes.

He needs more time to develop, and I would be happy to see the Reds be that team if he was willing to re-sign on a non guaranteed roster spot, and if thats the case, I would bet the Reds guaranteed him a salary near what he would have made as a 40 man roster guy. Would be surprised if this was a financially motivated decision.

Actually, this is like ordering a Big Mac meal and then throwing the fries away as soon as you get it.

Not a big deal, but a stupid move regerdlesss. You threw away something you just paid good money for, something of value, when you didn’t need to.

I really doubt there was any agreement ahead of time. If you're a 25 yr old still muddling along in AA you'll not turn down an offer from a team that'll give you a better spot than the Reds are. It's clear that the Reds don't think he's worth a spot on the 40 man. I don't think that's out of line myself. My guess is his ceiling as a major leaguer is Wily Mo Pena.

Turn Off Ads?