Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

Re: Aristides Aquino non-tendered

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Some of the most ridiculous stuff being said in this thread.

To me, pretty solid chance there was an agreement made ahead of time. Lets see how it plays out before concluding this was "dumb asset management by the Reds".

Lots of stuff happens behind closed doors that we aren't privy too.

We also dont know how the Reds plan to use the vacant 40 man roster spots. The end result could very easily justify the decision to remove Aquino from the roster.

To me, just a lot of wasted, uneducated words being thrown around in this thread, over what is mostly being seen as a "non-prospect" of sorts. If teams were salivating to use a 40 man roster spot on him, I can guarantee you the Reds would have found a suitor via trade. Proof of how he is seen around the league speaks volumes.

He needs more time to develop, and I would be happy to see the Reds be that team if he was willing to re-sign on a non guaranteed roster spot, and if thats the case, I would bet the Reds guaranteed him a salary near what he would have made as a 40 man roster guy. Would be surprised if this was a financially motivated decision.
    Missing the point completely.

This move was not necessary at this time. It’s baffling to me how many people are overlooking this.

Now, if what WrongVerb is true, that this is all part of some roster trickery and the Reds know they will not lose him, then it makes sense. But we have to see if that’s the case.

But let me repeat myself because clearly no one is paying attention to this:

The Reds has no meaningful incentive to non tender Aquino. They gained nothing from it, except, maybe a few thousand dollars. That is why this is a dumb move, unless it’s all part of a complicated plan to keep him.

In terms of “wait and see who replaces him on the roster,” that’s the while point. It will be quite awhile, maybe not until opening day, that the Reds will need this FOURTH open roster spot. So why not what until,that roster spot is needed to make a move? So much can happen between now and then, like injuries, trades, etc. that it’s possible, if not likely that they wouldn’t need to drop Aquino at all.
    Last edited by 757690; 12-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ha! Would anyone turn the car around and go ask to speak to the manager?
    I certainly looks like 757690 would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I certainly looks like 757690 would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn’t speak to a manager, but I certainly would be willing to admit that a mistake was made. Something no one else here is willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Actually, this is like ordering a Big Mac meal and then throwing the fries away as soon as you get it.

Not a big deal, but a stupid move regerdlesss. You threw away something you just paid good money for, something of value, when you didn’t need to.
    That’s consistent.

You assumed Aquino has more value than he does.

You assumed french fries have more value than they do.

(No offense to french fries eaters, good ones are delicious.)
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-03-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That’s consistent.

You assumed Aquino has more value than he does.

You assumed french fries have more value than they do.

(No offense to french fries eaters, good ones are delicious.)
    No such thing as overvaluing French Fries.

But it doesn’t matter. The Reds threw away something of value. It doesn’t matter how much value it has. It’s a dumb move.

No such thing as overvaluing French Fries.

But it doesn’t matter. The Reds threw away something of value. It doesn’t matter how much value it has. It’s a dumb move.
    I’m glad you finally said it. “It doesn’t matter how much value” a player has. This is a fundamental flaw in your argument.

Giving someone a forty man roster spot is based on a number of factors - including other potential uses of the spot. Just having “any value” isn’t enough. If so, you’d need an 80 man roster because lots of guys have some value.

I’m glad you finally said it. “It doesn’t matter how much value” a player has. This is a fundamental flaw in your argument.

Giving someone a forty man roster spot is based on a number of factors - including other potential uses of the spot. Just having “any value” isn’t enough. If so, you’d need an 80 man roster because lots of guys have some value.
    The Reds currently have 36 players on the 40 man roster. That spot is not currently needed. Losing a player of any value is dumb when you don’t have to. The Reds don’t have to lose Aquino. They could have kept him and nothing would be different.

The Reds currently have 36 players on the 40 man roster. That spot is not currently needed. Losing a player of any value is dumb when you don’t have to. The Reds don’t have to lose Aquino. They could have kept him and nothing would be different.
    Lots of guys with value aren’t protected. Reds ddn’t protect Alex Powers, Michael Beltre, Andy Suglio, Hendrik Clementina, Josh Van Meter. All have value. Just not enough to be protected. Reds prefer the roster room for acquisitions. Same with Aquino.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-04-2018 at 01:10 AM.

10. Likes:

OGB (12-07-2018)

Lots of guys with value aren’t protected. Reds ddn’t protect Alex Powers, Michael Beltre, Andy Suglio, Hendrik Clementina, Josh Van Meter. All have value. Just not enough to be protected. Reds prefer the roster room for acquisitions. Same with Aquino.
    But he was already protected. Why non tender him when you don’t have to?

Tell me, what was gained by non-tendering him now, instead of waiting until there was no more room on the 40 man roster?

But he was already protected. Why non tender him when you don’t have to?

Tell me, what was gained by non-tendering him now, instead of waiting until there was no more room on the 40 man roster?
    What difference that he was “already protected?”

He has to earn the spot just like Michael Beltre and Josh Van Meter.

This isn’t some perpetual designation. It’s not a long-term commitment. If you don’t earn it, you lose it. That’s what happened.

The specific timing? That’s all been discussed at length.

What difference that he was “already protected?”

He has to earn the spot just like Michael Beltre and Josh Van Meter.

This isn’t some perpetual designation. It’s not a long-term commitment. If you don’t earn it, you lose it. That’s what happened.

The specific timing? That’s all been discussed at length.
    Being on the 40 man roster is not a reward for playing well. It’s a way to protect your players from going to another team.

The point is that it took an active action to remove him. And nothing was gained from the Reds perspective by taking that action.

You still haven’t explained what the Reds gain from taking this action. (WrongVerb provided a possible explanation, and if that is true, then I understand the action. But we don’t know if it’s true at this point.)

Being on the 40 man roster is not a reward for playing well. It’s a way to protect your players from going to another team.

The point is that it took an active action to remove him. And nothing was gained from the Reds perspective by taking that action.

You still haven’t explained what the Reds gain from taking this action. (WrongVerb provided a possible explanation, and if that is true, then I understand the action. But we don’t know if it’s true at this point.)
    Did it save them 89k? If the Reds plan on bringing in 4 MLBers who aren’t of the 89k variety doesn’t this save then 89k?

I mean if everyone was in agreement and a paperwork transaction saved 89k I’m good with that.

Did it save them 89k? If the Reds plan on bringing in 4 MLBers who aren’t of the 89k variety doesn’t this save then 89k?

I mean if everyone was in agreement and a paperwork transaction saved 89k I’m good with that.
    I am not okay with that at all. A prospect is easily worth more than $89K to a baseball team. Or should be. The Reds are a billion dollar business. As I said, that’s about what the food spread costs for a weekend. If the Reds care about that $89K, then they are forever doomed.

And if everyone was in agreement, the Reds don’t save anything, as I doubt Aquino agrees to this if it means he’s not getting at least $89K. Non-tendering him means he’s a free agent. Most teams would gladly pay him $89K to get him in their organization.

I am not okay with that at all. A prospect is easily worth more than $89K to a baseball team. Or should be. The Reds are a billion dollar business. As I said, that’s about what the food spread costs for a weekend. If the Reds care about that $89K, then they are forever doomed.

And if everyone was in agreement, the Reds don’t save anything, as I doubt Aquino agrees to this if it means he’s not getting at least $89K. Non-tendering him means he’s a free agent. Most teams would gladly pay him $89K to get him in their organization.
    I’m not looking nor do I care but I bet if the Reds cared enough they could spend that 89k on someone better than Aquino.

This is just marginal stuff and I don’t care. It’s the big moves that matter this offseason.

I’m sure my logic is faulty but on this one, dumping Aquino, again I don’t care.

I’m not looking nor do I care but I bet if the Reds cared enough they could spend that 89k on someone better than Aquino.

This is just marginal stuff and I don’t care. It’s the big moves that matter this offseason.

I’m sure my logic is faulty but on this one, dumping Aquino, again I don’t care.
    The Reds aren’t so flush with talent that they can be careless and cheap with what talent they do have. Again, they didn’t need to lose Aquino. I care less about losing Aquino, and more about what it says about how this organization is run.

It’s funny, because many here were up in arms (not you for the record) over the Reds losing out on possible returns for Harvey and Hamilton. My guess is we are talking about similar talent or less than Aquino. The argument is that even if the players were of little value, they were better than nothing. And yet everyone is okay with losing similar talent for an even dumber reason. The Reds could have had something, and now they have nothing. For no good reason.

Turn Off Ads?