Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs Reds Prospect list

Re: Fangraphs Reds Prospect list

Man, that write-up on Greene is bad. They need to trade him sooner rather than later.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

How legit is this list? Like, is this how the rest of MLB likely views Greene? If that is the case it is devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How legit is this list? Like, is this how the rest of MLB likely views Greene? If that is the case it is devastating.
    Which part has you upset, exactly? The 50 FV?

I don’t see what they said here as being much different than what we knew in summer 2017. The kid is an elite athlete who can throw a fastball through a phonebook but needs to work on the breaking stuff. And as they said the slider showed real progress.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

fondfoat (12-30-2018),Griffey012 (12-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I don’t see what they said here as being much different than what we knew in summer 2017. The kid is an elite athlete who can throw a fastball through a phonebook but needs to work on the breaking stuff. And as they said the slider showed real progress.
    That FV and summary are in no way good.

I'm confused by RTG stance as well. I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

That FV and summary are in no way good.
    I just don't see the big change in the calculus, the case for Greene's stock falling to me mostly would just rest on him being passed by the guys who had big years. His year was mostly neutral overall.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I just don't see the big change in the calculus, the case for Greene's stock falling to me mostly rests on him being passed by the guys who had big years. His year was mostly neutral overall.
    The fact the Reds have been trash for, what, 4-5 years now and have two prospects over 50 FV is real bad. The Reds are supposed to have a big three right now and if this list is right they have two with Greene looking questionable. It’s bad.

The fact the Reds have been trash for, what, 4-5 years now and have two prospects over 50 FV is real bad. The Reds are supposed to have a big three right now and if this list is right they have two with Greene looking questionable. It’s bad.
    Two years ago Amir Garrett was 55 FV and Taylor Trammell and Luis Castillo were 45 FV. I put value in these things but I'm not gonna let them drastically change my outlook.

And, for the record, I'm fine with trading Greene. As I've said earlier in the offseason, I'd trade just about anyone, just preferably not Senzel.

Two years ago Amir Garrett was 55 FV and Taylor Trammell and Luis Castillo were 45 FV. I put value in these things but I'm not gonna let them drastically change my outlook.

And, for the record, I'm fine with trading Greene. As I've said earlier in the offseason, I'd trade just about anyone, just preferably not Senzel.
    I get that these things are fluid, but we should be nearing the end of the “rebuild” and I look at this list and think to myself “this it? Where the elite prospects at?”

Overall, I think this is an excellent work and I applaud the effort, though it has plenty of errors. Garcia is not a 60 runner. Siri is much higher than a 55 fielder, Friedl is not a 70 runner, and Senzel is better than a 55 runner, just to name a few.

Keep in mind, this is one opinion. As I have said many times, the real scouting world does not have nearly the consensus as it appears in these lists. For example, if I polled four scouts sitting behind home plate, one of the four would tell you with conviction that Garcia is a better prospect than Downs. Just like in 2015, you could find a few scouts who would tell you that Mahle was a better pitching prospect than Stephenson, which at the time would have seemed ridiculous.

I had conversations with two scouts last summer about Santillan. Both scouts were highly regarded guys with very successful histories in scouting. One said Santillan would be a #1 starter. The other said he would have to go to the bullpen. That is normal. The teams that win have the guys who are usually right, not necessarily the guys whose list most closely resemble the lists that are follow the leader. You hope you don’t target the Max Wotels of the world in big trades too often.

Edit...I should reword that last paragraph because scouts don’t have lists. They do give grades. I have never known a scout that ranked an organization’s prospects.
    Last edited by redsof72; 12-05-2018 at 01:53 PM.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-05-2018),757690 (12-07-2018),Edd Roush (12-06-2018),lollipopcurve (12-05-2018),Old school 1983 (12-06-2018),podgejeff_ (12-09-2018),RED VAN HOT (12-05-2018),RedlegJake (12-05-2018),RedsfaninMT (12-07-2018),RedTeamGo! (12-05-2018),Tom Servo (12-05-2018)

All fair points. IMO, what it indicates is the Reds have a lot of moving parts in their system and Fangraphs is hedging its bets a bit.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

Ive been at the front of the, “cool it with the hype” on Greene line. I get all types of insinuations on here, this validates my claims a bit. He throws hard and is athletic. Even off the charts arm talent with plus athleticism. But, his secondary offerings are elementary and he throws the most hittable 100 mph that you will ever see.
    Had two friends just out of big league ball tell me how hittable he looked when they saw him at the futures game.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been at the front of the, “cool it with the hype” on Greene line. I get all types of insinuations on here, this validates my claims a bit. He throws hard and is athletic. Even off the charts arm talent with plus athleticism. But, his secondary offerings are elementary and he throws the most hittable 100 mph that you will ever see.
    Had two friends just out of big league ball tell me how hittable he looked when they saw him at the futures game.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I should reword that last paragraph because scouts don’t have lists. They do give grades. I have never known a scout that ranked an organization’s prospects.
    Individual scouts wouldn't. The scouting director and GM are the ones who need to understand the relative strength/value/outlook of the prospects in their pool. Like you said, lots of opinions inside any organization. The folks in charge have to sort through them and make determinations. Perspective depends on the role you play inside the organization.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kile...-chat-12-5-18/

Just gonna drop this in here because it assuredly was asked over this and only this thread:

Koba: Some Reds fans are ready to end it all over the new Hunter Greene writeup. Any thoughts on why they should step back from that ledge, my friend?
    12:49

Kiley McDaniel: his future pitch grades are 80, 55 and 55 with 60 command

Or, basically, a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Focusing solely on pitching for the first time, Greene’s slider improved in 2018. His ceiling will be dictated by the continued development of his secondary stuff.
    Right now his pitches are a 70 fastball, 50 slider, 40 curveball, and 45 changeup. Elementary, as you state it, would be 40/40/40 on his off-speed. He made some strides this year.

He was also an 18 year old in A-Ball, in his first full professional season, striking out nearly 12 guys per 9, that is really, really good. His pitching line across the board was very similar to McKenzie Gore's who is a top 20 prospect in baseball and seen as being on a great developmental path.

Greene also got banged around early in the year. He finished the year looking like a stud. That seems to be lost in looking at his overall numbers.

In his last 11 starts:
    11.05K/9, 2.28BB/9, .193 AVG, 0.95 WHIP, 2.63 ERA, 3.09 FIP.

In his first 7 starts:
    13.76K/9, 5.29BB/9, .385 AVG, 2.35 WHIP, 10.06 ERA, 3.89 FIP.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

19. Likes:

lollipopcurve (12-07-2018)

Turn Off Ads?