22 32.35%
  • Jose Siri

2 2.94%
  • Tyler Stephenson

4 5.88%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Poll - Who is Reds #4 Prospect?

Re: Prospect Poll - Who is Reds #4 Prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Jonathan India aside, say whaaaaaaat?

Mike Trout was drafted like 25th. Might be the best player in the history of baseball when it’s all said and done.
    Yep and based on the info when he was drafted I wouldn't have put him in my top 50 until he did something as a pro. Doesn't mean I'd cut him or am freaking out. I admit to not being up on college baseball, but India was who I wanted the Reds to take. That was because he seemed the best college bat, but it was college and that doesn't jump in line ahead of similar guys who've had success as a professional. India's success was in college, against much more uneven competition than full-season minor league ball and it was with an aluminum bat which is a significant difference. SO far he hasn't had success against full-season professionals, so he waits on the promising but still not top 50 list.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

2. Turn Off Ads?

Went with Santillan because of the huge step up in walk rate and success in AA. India would be next for me. Just want to see some dominance from him in the minors which I think we will see next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yep and based on the info when he was drafted I wouldn't have put him in my top 50 until he did something as a pro. Doesn't mean I'd cut him or am freaking out. I admit to not being up on college baseball, but India was who I wanted the Reds to take. That was because he seemed the best college bat, but it was college and that doesn't jump in line ahead of similar guys who've had success as a professional. India's success was in college, against much more uneven competition than full-season minor league ball and it was with an aluminum bat which is a significant difference. SO far he hasn't had success against full-season professionals, so he waits on the promising but still not top 50 list.
    Not talking about India. Draft position has nothing to do with who can be a “generational talent” or not.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Not talking about India. Draft position has nothing to do with who can be a “generational talent” or not.

As for India, people in the top 50 are not just there because of their stats, especially not very small sample size stats.
    Agreed, but until he shows that, it's not the basis for rating him anything. We don't know who is generational at this point, but if somebody thought he was, he'd have been drafted first or second unless his money demands were outrageous. India isn't a generational talent based on what we know now and he hasn't had success as a professional (short season leagues don't count for much for me) so there really isn't a basis for making him a top 50 prospect IMO. I know I'm in the minority, but there are tons of guys with tools who never make it. I want to see some success first.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Gutierrez probably should be listed soon. He’s made the top ten in published ranking lists. Same with Jeter Downs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'm probably underrating India, but I was torn between Gray and Santillan. I've been brainwashed, apparently, and can't think about anything other than pitching. I'll be better soon.
    Me too. I went with Santillan thought my gut really likes Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Me too. I went with Santillan thought my gut really likes Gray.
    He is probiotic.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

9. Likes:

klw (12-10-2018)

I'm going to be a Josiah Gray fanboy. His first season:

Year Team League Age W L ERA G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO WP BK HB WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 K-BB
    2018 Greeneville Reds App 20 2 2 2.58 12 12 52.0 29 17 15 1 17 59 5 0 0 0.88 4.99 0.17 2.92 10.15 3.47

Now I know it is rookie ball, But I believe he's slated for Dayton in 2019. Those are impressive numbers, and I'm more eager to follow him than any other Reds pitcher in the minor leagues in 2019.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

11. Likes:

marcshoe (12-10-2018)

Once you start comparing Tony Santillan's stats to pitchers in the back half of the top 100 he would fit right in, all the way up to around where Dane Dunning is at 59 who had a very similar year outside of a lower ERA (which can mean a lot of things as we all know), but Santillan's over a year younger.

Santillan gets my vote over India. He's a big, young innings eater with a plus plus fastball, two above average secondary offerings and he seems to have greatly improved his control. There's a lot to like with him.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (12-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Once you start comparing Tony Santillan's stats to pitchers in the back half of the top 100 he would fit right in, all the way up to around where Dane Dunning is at 59 who had a very similar year outside of a lower ERA (which can mean a lot of things as we all know), but Santillan's over a year younger.

Santillan gets my vote over India. He's a big, young innings eater with a plus plus fastball, two above average secondary offerings and he seems to have greatly improved his control. There's a lot to like with him.
    Dunning K’d more and gave up less HR. Tony walked less guys. Looking at their 2018 I take Dunning everytime and there is some breathing distance between the two. You may differ I suppose but those two prospects don’t align for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Dunning K’d more and gave up less HR. Tony walked less guys. Looking at their 2018 I take Dunning everytime and there is some breathing distance between the two. You may differ I suppose but those two prospects don’t align for me.
    He had 8 more strikeouts along with 7 more walks for a K/BB ratio of 3. Santillan's was 3.8125. Outside of the home runs and a few more hits given up, I don't know how you'd say there's that much breathing difference between the two. They pitched the same number of innings, have virtually the same WHIP, have the same number of games started in the same league and Santillan's over a year younger. I'd say MLBpipeline's scouting report is actually more complimentary of Santillan when you take into account that Dunning's big advantage over Santillan is supposedly control and Santillan showed better control last year. Even if you say Dunning is the better prospect, I don't see how Santillan's that far behind.

16. Likes:

OGB (12-12-2018)

Tony: 8.1 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9, 1.24 WHIP

Dane: 10.4 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 0.2 HR/9, 1.19 WHIP

Based on that I say they didn’t have similar years. You disagree but that’s how I show my work on that opinion.

Jonathan India aside, say whaaaaaaat?

Mike Trout was drafted like 25th. Might be the best player in the history of baseball when its all said and done.
    Mike Trout is not a generational talent. He is a generational player with generational skills. Big difference. if he was a generational talent, he would not have been drafted 25th.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

19. Likes:

drowg14 (12-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Mike Trout is not a generational talent. He is a generational player with generational skills. Big difference. if he was a generational talent, he would not have been drafted 25th.
    Sure, why not. This makes no sense, but sure.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-11-2018),OGB (12-12-2018),Rojo Rijo (12-10-2018)

Sure, why not. This makes no sense, but sure.
    Brian Buxton has more talent than Joey Votto, but Joey Votto is a better player with better skills.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?