22 32.35%
  • Jose Siri

2 2.94%
  • Tyler Stephenson

4 5.88%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Poll - Who is Reds #4 Prospect?

Re: Prospect Poll - Who is Reds #4 Prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That’s an interesting take. So you’re saying some people are born being able to learn and apply skills better than other people?
    yes actually that is exactly what I'm saying
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Right, because nobody cares about talent in any draft outside of maybe the NBA - they care about players being good at baseball and having skillsets that could produce at the MLB level. This is a pedantic argument that has nothing to do with anything regarding player evaluation or capability in baseball.
    RedTeamGo suggested Mike Trout was a generational talent. I felt it was important to point out the distinction between talent and skill after that post. It may be pedantic, but it seemed necessary at the time.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

Yep, I suck at spelling.

Thank you, next

- - - Updated - - -

Teams dont always draft who they think is the most talented player available. Example: Mike Leake.
    And yet its not possible for the most talented player in the draft to fall to 25...or in Indias case 5??

Recall that is how this began. The original point was its not possible India is a generational talent (which I am not saying) because he fell to 5th.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And yet it’s not possible for the most talented player in the draft to fall to 25...or in India’s case 5??

Recall that is how this began. The original point was it’s not possible India is a generational talent (which I am not saying) because he fell to 5th.
    Yes, I 100% agree with you in this point. I can’t imagine 4 teams passing on a once in a generation talent.

Yes, I 100% agree with you in this point. I can’t imagine 4 teams passing on a once in a generation talent.
    The Twins just did it the year before when they passed on Hunter Greene
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

7. Likes:

OGB (12-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    yes actually that is exactly what I'm saying
    I’ve never heard this take before, and sincerely would be interested in hearing more about why you think this is the case. You could be into something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The Twins just did it the year before when they passed on Hunter Greene

Right. I can see one or maybe two teams doing it, due to needs or organizational philosophy, but it’s hard to see four teams doing it.

I’ve never heard this take before, and sincerely would be interested in hearing more about why you think this is the case. You could be into something.

- - - Updated - - -

Right. I can see one or maybe two teams doing it, due to needs or organizational philosophy, but it’s hard to see four teams doing it.
    let me put it this way, some people have no issues learning math and being able to apply their knowledge of the subject in certain situations, while others struggle to learn the simple concepts of division,multiplication etc. so why can't it be the same way when it comes to the concepts of hitting and fielding in baseball.

10. Likes:

757690 (12-10-2018)

- - - Updated - - -

Cameron Maybin famously fell to the Tigers and was widely considered the most talented player in that year’s draft.

Same thing happened with Rick Porcello.

It doesn’t happen as much anymore, but it does happen.

Matt Bush ahead of Justin Verlander.

I'm not so sure this is a pedantic point, at least as it relates to the topic at hand.

As it relates to Trout, here is a good article on the perception of him at the time: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-m...ft/c-222750644

I think generally the concensus was that he was a bit under scouted, and teams weren't that comfortable with the program he was coming from, and maybe was beating up on generally weak competition. It would appear the tools were very eye popping, but he just missed the hype train for reasons generally unrelated to his skillset.

Seeing him play now, he is a physical specimen in every way one could imagine from a baseball perspective. I think he very much is a generational talent, but he slid under the radar based on where he came from. If he went to college ball and tore it up in a bigger program, he would have caught the attention of basically everyone and been a consensus #1 pick when eligible.

Cameron Maybin famously fell to the Tigers and was widely considered the most talented player in that year’s draft.

Same thing happened with Rick Porcello.

It doesn’t happen as much anymore, but it does happen.

Matt Bush ahead of Justin Verlander.
    None of those guys were once in a generation talents.

None of those guys were once in a generation talents.
    If Justin Verlander isn’t a generational talent, I don’t know what is.

15. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (12-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I'm not so sure this is a pedantic point, at least as it relates to the topic at hand.

As it relates to Trout, here is a good article on the perception of him at the time: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-m...ft/c-222750644

I think generally the concensus was that he was a bit under scouted, and teams weren't that comfortable with the program he was coming from, and maybe was beating up on generally weak competition. It would appear the tools were very eye popping, but he just missed the hype train for reasons generally unrelated to his skillset.

Seeing him play now, he is a physical specimen in every way one could imagine from a baseball perspective. I think he very much is a generational talent, but he slid under the radar based on where he came from. If he went to college ball and tore it up in a bigger program, he would have caught the attention of basically everyone and been a consensus #1 pick when eligible.
    It’s basically because he wasn’t from Florida, Texas, Nevada, Georgia, NC, or California.

He was from the northeast, and because of that he slipped in the draft and shouldn’t be considered a generational talent.

In short: nonsense

Thread has gone off the rails. Im with India at #4. Im sticking to my opinion that playing in the fall, followed by a 68 game collegiate season that started in February, followed by playing for 3 different clubs in Montana, Tennessee, and Ohio makes it very difficult to put much weight into his short professional stint. I expect much more from him in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Justin Verlander isn’t a generational talent, I don’t know what is.
    Verlander was taken #2 overall. As I said, I can see a once in a generation talent slipping one or two spots, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Thread has gone off the rails. I’m with India at #4. I’m sticking to my opinion that playing in the fall, followed by a 68 game collegiate season that started in February, followed by playing for 3 different clubs in Montana, Tennessee, and Ohio makes it very difficult to put much weight into his short professional stint. I expect much more from him in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I feel the same. I expect Senzel to graduate from this list, and for India to be at the same level (AA) as Tramell. And for India to surpass Tramell and Greene on the list.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Turn Off Ads?