22 32.35%
  • Jose Siri

2 2.94%
  • Tyler Stephenson

4 5.88%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Prospect Poll - Who is Reds #4 Prospect?

Re: Prospect Poll - Who is Reds #4 Prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They aren't born with the ability to hit a curve ball.
    You do not know that.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Talent is natural ability,

Skill is learned ability.

It’s a rather simple and universally accepted point.
    I like defining it like this:

Talent is the innate ability to effectively apply skill in a given situation.

Skill is the constructive means to accomplish a goal.

The more talented an individual, the easier they will master the skills needed to compete and win in their chosen field.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

Spanky (12-11-2018)

Based on voting, it seems clear India is going to be 4th, Santillan 5th.

The battle for 6th is on. I'm staking my flag in the Josiah Gray camp.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'll start next poll later tonight (after trivia)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not talking about India. Draft position has nothing to do with who can be a “generational talent” or not.
    Mike Piazza is in the HoF
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Gutierrez probably should be listed soon. He’s made the top ten in published ranking lists. Same with Jeter Downs.
    Agreed. I was underwhelmed by the totality of Vlad's 2018, but he had a masterful mid year stretch.

If Gray is listed, Vlad and Jeter should be as well.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    That's just not right though. You're tossing aside everything that isn't speed, power, and flash as something anyone can just learn. What Votto has is absolutely natural born ability. That's why K/BB issues often spell the demise of otherwise talented prospects. It usually can't be coached away.

The Trout thing is just crazy though. Come on. You literally couldn't build a better baseball player if you tried.
    I remember reading an article about how the Red Sox gave a series of computer tests to all their prospects.
    One involved video of pitchers (looking at them from the plate) and you had to click a specific button once you identified the spin on the ball after it left the pitcher's hand.
    Mookie Betts scored far better on that test than any other prospect in the history of their system.
    That's not a learned skill. Neither, for that matter, is hand eye coordination.
    I would argue that both of those are as important or moreso than size, speed, bat speed, general athleticism, and other "unlearnable" talents.
    There are most certainly unquantifiable talents that scouts miss if they just watch a guy play.
    Attitude, intelligence, and desire are three more. You can't test those with a stop watch.
    Give me a guy with those 3 intangibles, great pitch recognition, great hand eye, and averageish "natural talent" almost every single time.
    -RichRed

Mookie Betts makes a strong argument for judging prospects on their average bowling score.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Mookie Betts makes a strong argument for judging prospects on their average bowling score.
    If that's the case, I should be top 5 in baseball.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I’ve just been reflecting on the poll so far. My biggest gripe is how close India and Santillian were here. I’m really excited to see India for a full season. I think he has to be #4 now but I foresee a big rise in his stock. Just going on record.

Turn Off Ads?