Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade RHP Tanner Rainey, acquire RHP Tanner Roark

Re: Reds trade RHP Tanner Rainey, acquire RHP Tanner Roark

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I suppose in the end it all comes down to expectations. Perhaps mine are too high. Maybe they're even unrealistic. I can admit that. But, when they said they're going to get the pitching this offseason the names Wood and Roark weren't what I was thinking.

Honestly, it kind of blows my mind that many on here would be satisfied with that.
    Well, in that scenario they are also getting Puig, and Realmuto, and would theoretically still have cash available for a free agent starter by means of the savings from dumping Bailey and Billy.

I guess we are saying, lets see this through before making judgements. It actually appears more is coming for once.

If the final adds are Realmuto, Wood, Puig, Roark, and Keichel, and you still feel that isnt sufficient, then yes, your expectations were too high.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Well, in that scenario they are also getting Puig, and Realmuto, and would theoretically still have cash available for a free agent starter by means of the savings from dumping Bailey and Billy.

I guess we are saying, lets see this through before making judgements. It actually appears more is coming for once.

If the final adds are Realmuto, Wood, Puig, Roark, and Keichel, and you still feel that isnt sufficient, then yes, your expectations were too high.
    I would be happy with that scenario.

Keuchel
    Wood
    Castillo
    Roark
    Disco

Would be a decent enough rotation.

4. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (12-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I would be happy with that scenario.

Keuchel
    Wood
    Castillo
    Roark
    Disco

Would be a decent enough rotation.
    Replace Disco with Mahle and we're talking.

6. Likes:

mth123 (12-14-2018),Senzling Hot (12-14-2018)

NM
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Replace Disco with Mahle and we're talking.
    You misspelled "Reed."
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

9. Likes:

Mitri (12-14-2018),TRF (12-17-2018)

I do agree that the Reds need two better starters than Roark. I think they know this, though I am a bit fearful they may just settle for one. Still, I'm encouraged overall.

Disco, Mahle, and Reed can all battle for the #5 spot, none deserves to be handed a spot.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 12-14-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-14-2018),Revering4Blue (12-16-2018),TRF (12-17-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I do agree that the Reds need two better starts than Roark. I think they know this, though I am a bit fearful they may just settle for one. Still, I'm encouraged overall.

Disco, Mahle, and Reed can all battle for the #5 spot, none deserves to be handed a spot.
    If Disco, Mahle, and Reed are competing for the 5th spot (and I share your hope that they will be) then this is going to be a really solid pitching staff. Still think Castillo turns out to be the Ace this year, though.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

drowg14 (12-14-2018),Griffey012 (12-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If Disco, Mahle, and Reed are competing for the 5th spot (and I share your hope that they will be) then this is going to be a really solid pitching staff. Still think Castillo turns out to be the Ace this year, though.
    I just hope last year was a fluke and he's not a guy who can't pitch in the cold or who takes 6 weeks at the beginning of the year to get going.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

15. Likes:

The Operator (12-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I just hope last year was a fluke and he's not a guy who can't pitch in the cold or who takes 6 weeks at the beginning of the year to get going.
    I hope it was hang over from the increased load from the year before.

Castillo pitched better when his velocity was higher at the year around 97 vs 96 earlier in the year. He also faired better when he used his fastball less. But using it less and increase in velocity may have went hand in hand. (that is new analytics idea)
    Plus the added velocity got him above hitting speed. You want your fastball above or below hitting speed ideally that is why I think Hughes FB is very effective since it is below.

I think one of Bailey issues is that his FB was above hitting speed in 2013 but today it is right at hitting speed.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I hope it was hang over from the increased load from the year before.

Castillo pitched better when his velocity was higher at the year around 97 vs 96 earlier in the year. He also faired better when he used his fastball less. But using it less and increase in velocity may have went hand in hand. (that is new analytics idea)
    Plus the added velocity got him above hitting speed. You want your fastball above or below hitting speed ideally that is why I think Hughes FB is very effective since it is below.

I think one of Bailey issues is that his FB was above hitting speed in 2013 but today it is right at hitting speed.
    And hitting speed is?

Disco, Reed & Mahle are perfectly fine options for the #5-7 Starting pitcher options for the Reds. Castillo & Roark are capable. We need 2 more guys Roark or better to at least be competitive. I'd over pay a little for Keuchel on a 4 yr deal say 4/90 and see if he bites. Make a trade for a 2 yr controlled starter like Stroman and you're looking pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    And hitting speed is?
    Bailey MPH

20. Likes:

M2 (12-15-2018),Old school 1983 (12-15-2018)

I like the idea of buying up these expensive veterans on one-year deals like Roark since the talent cost is low. If they play out well (decent chance of happening) the Reds are either competitive-ish or they can be traded at the deadline for prospects and are thus only 67% retail price. I like Alex Wood as a target outright, ignoring the upside of unloading Homer's contract. Rick Porcello might be another. Mike Minor and Mike Leake are similar.

The frontline guys are so expensive and the free agents left are uninspiring.

It opens up the opportunity to go after Pollock and win with offense. The Reds could still add to the bullpen and maybe find out Romano and Reed are better there. Chase after the aces at the deadline if the team is ready.

What's a shame is that they haven't been doing this for a couple years...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I like the idea of buying up these expensive veterans on one-year deals like Roark since the talent cost is low. If they play out well (decent chance of happening) the Reds are either competitive-ish or they can be traded at the deadline for prospects and are thus only 67% retail price. I like Alex Wood as a target outright, ignoring the upside of unloading Homer's contract. Rick Porcello might be another. Mike Minor and Mike Leake are similar.

It opens up the opportunity to go after Pollock and win with offense. The Reds could still add to the bullpen and maybe find out Romano and Reed are better there. Chase after the aces at the deadline if the team is ready.

Be careful with Leake - he's signed thru 2020 around 18 million per.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

I don't know. That feels dangerously close to how they did things in the lost decade to me. Getting middling pitching that they hope works out and leaves them semi-competitive for most of the year. Hoping that a strong offense can carry most of the load.

The thing is I believe you either need to be truly going for it, or not. This dipping a toe into the water stuff is pointless to me. Either go get some actual good pitching or don't. But, don't try and be middling. I think it's the worst thing you can do.

What's funny is I think if they tried to do something like this in 2014 most here would have a different reaction. I think at that point most would've agreed that the middling approach doesn't work usually. I honestly think the last 4 years has made people so desperate for anything that middling actually sounds good.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 12-16-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Turn Off Ads?