• Tyler Stephenson

32 50.79%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018/2019 Prospect Poll - #6

Re: 2018/2019 Prospect Poll - #6

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I;m not quite sure when Long will work for me.... I'm getting kind of underwhelmed with his numbers.
    There’s not many .800 OPS guys left on the board at this point. I’m sure someone is but most of the guys in contention right now are in the .700s.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Went Friedl here. He's not as Toolsy, but seems to have a wide range of skills that actually work when playing baseball. Ty Stephenson and Jeter Downs were the others I considered. I'm not as high on Shed Long. He seems like a guy who won't be able to play in the big leagues. Not enough bat and certainly not enough glove. I'd like to see him moved to the OF to see if it would improve his defensive profile. From what I've seen, admittedly not a ton, he doesn't look like a guy who has any business in a big league infield.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Went Friedl here. He's not as Toolsy, but seems to have a wide range of skills that actually work when playing baseball. Ty Stephenson and Jeter Downs were the others I considered. I'm not as high on Shed Long. He seems like a guy who won't be able to play in the big leagues. Not enough bat and certainly not enough glove. I'd like to see him moved to the OF to see if it would improve his defensive profile. From what I've seen, admittedly not a ton, he doesn't look like a guy who has any business in a big league infield.
    I've seen Long a moderate (10?) number of times. I have no problem with his defense.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I have never voted in these polls, mostly because I do not like to evaluate players I have not actually seen play (or have not seen recently), but I do find it interesting to read the various comments. A few thoughts, not provided to try to influence anyone's opinion, but just some extra stuff.

1) Tyler Stephenson is clearly a different player now than the player he was when he was drafted, due to change in body type. I saw him at RedsFest, which was the first time I had seen him in about 17 months, and I was shocked. He has added probably 25 lbs. of good weight, going from a tall and somewhat slender kid to a guy that just looks like a giant. I assume that is going to translate into more power, though I do not think he ever becomes a 30 HR guy, simply because he does not have that kind of approach/swing as a hitter. He is surely a lot stronger now than he was even in 2017. Tyler is such a good kid, focused, priorities in the right place, really wants to achieve a high level of success and will pay the price...he is one of those guys that I think everyone on this message board would really be pulling for if you knew him.

2) I believe the Reds have six excellent prospects plus one wildcard (Siri) and then a drop off. That is not to say that one of the players not in the top seven will not become a solid major leaguer, but I think once you get past Siri, the rest of the guys have some ground to make up. Siri is always going to be an interesting case. He has the best tools of any Reds prospect in 20 years, at least. The Siri I saw in 2016 was terrible, totally overmatched. The Siri I saw in 2017 was a one-man wrecking crew, the best all-around player I have ever seen in 31 years of watching minor league baseball. He impacted games in every possible way. I personally am really pulling for him, as a Reds fan, because if it all could come together some how, you would have an absolute star, a generational player. I understand all the reasons to be reluctant...hey, I saw him at his very worst in 2016. He is certainly one of the most interesting prospects I can ever remember coming through the system.

3) That next group, which for me includes guys like Long, Downs, Gutierrez, etc., they all draw mixed opinions. Shed, a think, would rank higher if he had more versatility. I don't think he is a bad second baseman, but it is hard to make it as a major league player if you can only play second base, unless you can break in as a starter from day one. With a five man bench, it is hard to have a guy who can only play second base. I would need to be convinced that he can play another position. I would have a hard time seeing him as an outfielder. He is not a smooth player. He is a warrior on the field, but some scouts just do not see him as a guy they would even care to acquire. Depending on the team, if you offered him up in a trade, there are some teams that are not going to have any interest at all. Some would, but others would not. Downs has a long way to go. I am not convinced yet that he is able to give you enough defense to stay in the infield. Maybe he improves and becomes a good second baseman, but if not, will he hit enough to be a corner outfielder on a good team? Not sure. There are scouts that like him and scouts that say, I need to see a lot more. The other guys in that group have some positives but also some limitations. Maybe they can overcome those issues and become a contributor. I like Friedl. Little guy, plays hard, pretty decent outfielder with some versatility. Might become a decent major leaguer, but if you compare Friedl to Siri, there is no comparison in almost any area. But Friedl could become the better player in the end. Garcia has some big supporters, and others who don't see much. There are definitely credible people who think he is a future MLB starter. 2019 will be an interesting year for him.

6. Likes:

757690 (12-14-2018),BillDoran (12-14-2018),CincyRed44 (12-15-2018),dfs (12-14-2018),Edd Roush (12-15-2018),JaxRed (12-14-2018),lollipopcurve (12-14-2018),mace (12-14-2018),marcshoe (12-14-2018),Mitri (12-14-2018),mth123 (12-14-2018),ochoa30 (12-14-2018),Plus Plus (12-15-2018),podgejeff_ (12-14-2018),Puffy (12-14-2018),RedTeamGo! (12-17-2018),thorn (12-14-2018),Tom Servo (12-14-2018),Tuff Nut (12-14-2018),UKFlounder (12-14-2018)

Turn Off Ads?