5 7.94%
  • Tyler Stephenson

32 50.79%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018/2019 Prospect Poll - #6

2018/2019 Prospect Poll - #6

Tony Santillan became Prospect #5 in a landslide....

Here are some candidates for #6

Jeter Downs (20) - SS/2b from Pace HS, Miami Gardens FL. Drafted in CB Round of 2017 Draft (#32 overall) .257/.351/.402 in Low-A with 23 doubles, 13 homers, 37 steals, 52 walks,
    T.J. Freidl (23) OF from Univ of Nevada - Signed as Undrafted Free Agent in 2016. Split 2018 between High and AA. AA was .276 .359 OBP, .719 OPS. 30 steal overall.
    Josiah Gray - (20) 2nd round pick in 2018 out of LeMoyne College. 2.58 ERA in 12 starts. Whip of .088 in Greeneville
    Vladimir Gutierrez (23), RHP, Cuban, signed in 2016, posted 4.35 ERA with 145/38 K/BB in 147 innings in Double-A
    Shed Long (23) - 2b from Jacksonville (AL.) HS. Drafted 12th round of 2013 draft. .765 OPS in AA with 19 steals.
    Jose Siri (23) - OF from Dominican Republic. Signed in 2012 as International Free Agent in 2012. Bonus Unknown to me. .743 OPS over 2 levels in 2018. 23 steals
    Tyler Stephenson (22) - C from Kennesaw Mountain, Kennesaw, GA. Drafted 1st round of 2015 Draft (#11 overall)

Again, if I missed someone you like, vote for them and I'll add them.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-13-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2018/2019 Prospect Poll - #6

This is a tough one for me as not one players jumps out as the best. I'm considering a few names before casting my ever so important vote.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I went with Gray. Yes he was old for his level, but he totally dominated. That's what you expect if someone if playing inferior competition.

I could just as easily voted for TySteve here.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

TRF (12-13-2018)

TySteve.

I also just realized his middle name is Robert.

Shed.

I thought I was going with Tyler here but the numbers at Daytona just didn’t wow me. Shed had a decent year at AA so I give him the edge. Tyler has the higher ceiling but Shed is on the cusp of the bigs.

I like TySteve. I think he's got a lot of untapped potential. Yet he and Friedl played on the same teams the past two seasons and you can see how they did. Both of them are waiting for the power fairy to sprinkle some dust on them.

I also like Shed and Downs. The Reds have some interesting kids. It's really a matter of who you think is going take a leap and what kind of player that makes them when they do.
    Last edited by M2; 12-13-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like TySteve. I think he's got a lot of untapped potential. Yet he and Friedl played on the same teams the past two seasons and you can see how they did. Both of them are waiting for the power fairy to sprinkle some dust on them.

I also like Shed and Downs. The Reds have some interesting kids. It's really a matter of who you think is going take a leap and what kind of player that makes them when they do.
    You know I was thinking about power yesterday. Is it me or does it just seem to show up for most players at some point? Maybe watching Peraza grow into some power has jaded me here but I just don’t stress it - the power (enough of it) usually comes.

11. Likes:

M2 (12-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You know I was thinking about power yesterday. Is it me or does it just seem to show up for most players at some point? Maybe watching Peraza grow into some power has jaded me here but I just don’t stress it - the power (enough of it) usually comes.
    That's where I am too. There are some guys who won't get power, mostly the extreme slap hitter type. Ty and T.J. aren't flea hitters. They should have some power headed their way. No idea how much, but I'm trying math out what 10-15 HR per season might mean for them. It's a modest leap in both cases. Both seem like they'd be pretty groovy if that happens.

So, if you operate on the theory that power comes last, what else is there while you're waiting on it? It's what makes Trammell and Senzel so compelling. You take everything they do now and you boost the power, and whoa.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I am kind of torn between Stephenson, Downs and Friedl. Went with Downs. Dude hit 38 ebh's, stole 37 bases, good plate discipline as a 19yr old middle infielder in the Midwest League.

I would like to see him continue getting reps at SS, but that bat plays pretty much anywhere. Might be on the Geno Suarez path. Stephenson has the better ceiling, Friedl the higher floor, Long is getting a bit of prospect fatigue here, but Jeter sort of feels like a guy ready for a real breakout. It'll sting a little if he gets traded.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yes, it does. It's a combination of maturing physically (e.g. Trammell's body today is more mature than it was when he was drafted in 2016) and learning to use that body to generate game power. Players that put it all together are the ones who see their power really spike.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Stephenson because he's a first round talent and HS catchers take awhile to develop.

Looking past that, I think a number of them are close.

I'll probably vote Shed Long next but others are close, Gutierrez, Downs, Friedl. I see Siri a bit lower.

Gray.

I think he'll be the ace in Dayton in the first half, and jumps to pitching friendly FSL Daytona after the ASB.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like that Tyler Stephenson has exhibited a good bating eye and hit for some power last year. Catchers with offensive value are pretty rare today. Only six catchers qualified for the batting title last year and only two of those (Realmuto and Grandal) had a positive offensive value in fangraphs' WAR calculation. Guys like Cervelli, Omar Navarez, Wilson Ramos and Kurt Suzuki provided offensive value in less PAs last year, but catchers who are valuable to lineups are more rare than some people appreciate.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (12-13-2018)

I;m not quite sure when Long will work for me.... I'm getting kind of underwhelmed with his numbers.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

20. Likes:

mth123 (12-13-2018)

I’ll go with Jose Siri here. He still has a ways to go in terms of pitch recognition and wasn’t as impressive as last season, but he has Trammel-level tools and his statlines are far from embarrassing for a guy who jumped two levels. And to be honest, none of the other guys have impressed me enough to be worthy of a #6 slot.

Turn Off Ads?