• Jose Siri

14 21.88%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018/2019 Prospect Poll - Prospect #7

Re: 2018/2019 Prospect Poll - Prospect #7

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Voted Friedl. High floor, and I suspect his ceiling may be higher that many people think.
    He's not as good defensively as BHam, may not even be able to play CF at the big league level. And he has little power, and it doesn't appear that he ever will.

His floor would be that of a AA peak, his ceiling looks more like a 4th outfielder to me. I'm hoping he turns into Ichiro, but I just don't see it.

For those reasons, he's not a top 10 prospect for me. I think Reds fans are getting a little ahead of themselves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is a guy who rode the bench at baseball powerhouse Nevada - Reno, I don't think it's wrong to call him an overachiever to this point. Bunting helps pad out his hitting numbers, will that continue to work moving up the chain? I hope so, but I don't know so.

I think Siri already blew past the Aquino ceiling. Aquino never had Siri's speed and defense, and Siri has already shown better ability to square up AA pitching than Aquino ever has.
    He rode the bench at Nevada-Reno until he didn't. Then he posted a 1.057 OPS with a 32/26 BB/K. Then he made the US team.

Aquino's age 22 season was a lot better than Siri's. Siri's speed/defense are way better. Ultimately, none of that matters if you lack BA and OB skills. Siri went .239 and .294 last season. That's a problem, one that better pitchers can exploit.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-18-2018)

I expected to be the only Friedl vote here and was pleasantly surprised that I don't have to defend an extreme outlier position. There are a number of players with higher upside still on the board. A fourth OF'er profile is not very sexy. I see him as an adequate ML CF'er. He should be an average defender and will find a way to get on base. He seems like a guy who will get the most out of his tools with enough gap power to keep pitchers honest. His destiny is to be an underappreciated player. If the Reds fail to upgrade CF with a trade or FA signing, I think he could play there in 2019 as a backup plan even though he is yet to reach AAA.

I'm going with Jeter Downs here, his ceiling is high. He was not impressive in the 2nd half last year but I think it's because his first full pro season simply wore the 19 year old down, and based on what he's said, he was trying to do too much.

7. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I'm hoping he turns into Ichiro, but I just don't see it.
    All he's got to be is Phil Bradley, and it will take him 5 more HR per season to get there.

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (12-16-2018)

Downs. Assuming he can stay somewhere on the infield, his hit/power combo plus good speed should carry him into the bigs. 2019 will be a big test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Downs. Assuming he can stay somewhere on the infield, his hit/power combo plus good speed should carry him into the bigs. 2019 will be a big test.
    I like Downs. Though I agree the FSL is a big test.

We might be too down on Shed (aside from 757690), Fangraphs had him at #7 in their newest ranking.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-...ncinnati-reds/

(Siri #9, Friedl #15, )
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    We might be too down on Shed (aside from 757690), Fangraphs had him at #7 in their newest ranking.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-...ncinnati-reds/

(Siri #9, Friedl #15, )
    Not specific to any prospect, but if ever there was a case for system that contained lots of moving parts that the industry groupthink hasn't sorted out, it's the Reds circa now.

Just warning everyone they might have to come back to this.... this early in the proceedings, I'm likely to throw a runoff. Right now the leader has 25% which means 75% of the people didn't vote for him.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Just warning everyone they might have to come back to this.... this early in the proceedings, I'm likely to throw a runoff. Right now the leader has 25% which means 75% of the people didn't vote for him.
    Redszone needs to follow Maine into ranked choice voting.

16. Likes:

757690 (12-16-2018),WrongVerb (12-16-2018)

Lots of directions to go, but I just think Friedl's baseball skill will win out over tools. For me it was between Friedl and Downs. Siri would be after them, then Vlad and Shed. Gray is a rookie ball dude. Not enough there for top 10 IMO.

Probably my gut is wrong, but something about Siri screams Reggie Taylor to me and Shed seems like another Rob Refsnyder, doesn't do anything well enough to be a big leaguer to me and some things aren't even all that good for a minor leaguer. If Shed could gain some versatility he'd be higher on the list but a mediocre bat that can only play a below average 2B seems to be something a team can't make room for on it's bench. I do think Siri will be a big leaguer, but I fear his career will be more as a speed and defense guy with a .500 OPS and oodles of strike outs.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Lots of directions to go, but I just think Friedl's baseball skill will win out over tools. For me it was between Friedl and Downs. Siri would be after them, then Vlad and Shed. Gray is a rookie ball dude. Not enough there for top 10 IMO.

Probably my gut is wrong, but something about Siri screams Reggie Taylor to me and Shed seems like another Rob Refsnyder, doesn't do anything well enough to be a big leaguer to me and some things aren't even all that good for a minor leaguer. If Shed could gain some versatility he'd be higher on the list but a mediocre bat that can only play a below average 2B seems to be something a team can't make room for on it's bench. I do think Siri will be a big leaguer, but I fear his career will be more as a speed and defense guy with a .500 OPS and oodles of strike outs.
    Long has been a well above average bat until last year when he hit AA. At age 22, young for AA, he put up a 120 wRC+, still above average. His OBP stayed high, he just hit for less power. Lots of reason to be optimistic on Long.
    Were going to get the pitching. -Bob Castellini

19. Likes:

klw (12-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Redszone needs to follow Maine into ranked choice voting.
    I’d be glad to be in charge of a Redszone Top 10 after these polls end...let everyone rank their top 10 guys...10 pts for first, 9 for 2nd..etc. I feel like that would be a truer Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’d be glad to be in charge of a Redszone Top 10 after these polls end...let everyone rank their top 10 guys...10 pts for first, 9 for 2nd..etc. I feel like that would be a truer Top 10.
    These polls run till spring training. But knock yourself out in the meantime.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Turn Off Ads?