4 7.02%
  • Mike Siani

39 68.42%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Poll #11

Prospect Poll #11

Shedd Long won spot #10 in a runaway. On to #11. I've added Scott Moss, Stuart Fairchild and Ibandel Israel. We're getting into the area where all the guys kind of meld together, so I'm open to suggestions on who to add in the future.

Mariel Bautista (21) - CF from Dominican Republic. Signed as Intl Free Agent in 2014. Hit .330 with .917 OPS in Billings.
    Hendrick Clementina (21) C from Curacao. After huge start, settled in with .268 avg and .824 OPS in Dayton.
    Stuart Fairchild (22) - OF from Wake Forest University - Drafted in 2nd round of 2017 Draft. .836 OPS in Dayton but .656 in Daytona.
    Jose Garcia (20) - SS from Cuba. After bad start hit .277 in 2nd half for Dayton.
    Jimmy Herget (25) - RHP from Tampa, FL. Drafted in 6th round of 2015 draft. 3.47 ERA in AAA. Added to 40 man roster.
    Miguel Hernandez (19) - SS from Venezuela. Hit .310 with .338 OBP in Greeneville
    Ibandel Isabel - (23) 1b from Dominican Republic. Blasted 36 homers with .900 OPS in Daytona. Had 28 previous year. Acquired via Ariel Hernandez trade.
    Kuery Mella (25) RHP RHP from Dominican Republic. Acquired from Giants in 2015 Mike Leake deal. 3.00 ERA in minors, 8.68 in 13 innings in Majors.
    Scott Moss (24) - 3.68 ERA and 15-4 record in High A - Drafted 4th round of 2016 draft.
    Mike Siani (19) - CF from William Penn HS, Pennsylvania. Drafted 4th round of 2018 draft for $2 Million bonus. Hit .281 with .351 OBP in Greeneville.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Poll #11

All the guys have some warts and/or questions about them. I'm going for Bautista. At least he succeeded at his level.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

4. Likes:

mace (12-24-2018)

I realize this will likely be an unpopular pick and I'll be voting for him for awhile, but I chose Jose Garcia. The Reds must see something special in him because they challenged him like they rarely do with young guys, playing him in full-season ball for a full season. His first half sucked, but there were reasons for optimism in the second half. The last two months of the 2018 season, Garcia hit .285 with an OBP of 330. More importantly, he began driving the ball, with a SLG of 454.

He's apparently a good enough SS to stick there too.

There are a lot of warts here-- he hasn't shown the plate discipline he needs, he makes too many errors, he's not taking advantage of his speed-- but the tools are there for a really solid, everyday SS and perhaps a bit more. In a crowded field where few stick out, I'll go with tools and youth.

6. Likes:

M2 (12-24-2018),mace (12-24-2018)

You'll get no argument from me. I debated Ibandel. 36 homers in Daytona (League record) is nothing to sneeze at. I assume he'll be in AA next year.

Between Moss and Bautista for me, going with Moss but I am very optimistic on both.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

I think the next group for me are the "upside" guys: Siani, Garcia, Hernandez, and Bautista in whatever order.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Likes:

mace (12-24-2018),OGB (12-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I realize this will likely be an unpopular pick and I'll be voting for him for awhile, but I chose Jose Garcia. The Reds must see something special in him because they challenged him like they rarely do with young guys, playing him in full-season ball for a full season. His first half sucked, but there were reasons for optimism in the second half. The last two months of the 2018 season, Garcia hit .285 with an OBP of 330. More importantly, he began driving the ball, with a SLG of 454.

He's apparently a good enough SS to stick there too.

There are a lot of warts here-- he hasn't shown the plate discipline he needs, he makes too many errors, he's not taking advantage of his speed-- but the tools are there for a really solid, everyday SS and perhaps a bit more. In a crowded field where few stick out, I'll go with tools and youth.
    Talked me into it.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

After this, Stuart Fairchild.

Has power, good speed, can play CF. Hit over .800 OPS until mid-season move up to A+. Probably just an adjustment to a higher level, doesn’t concern me. Second round pick.

Looks like Siani will just squeak by for the win in this round.

I'm surprised Siani won that overwhelmingly. I was torn between him and Garcia.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Siani was young for his league-- more than two years young. That augers well. So do his defensive chops. He's likely to be at least a defensive caddy/ pinch hitter at the major league level if scouting reports are true.

Perhaps this is incorrect, as I haven't done much thinking on the subject, but would it be fair to characterize he Reds' front office as seeming to focus on players with both real upside and underlying specific tools that can help the parent club even if they don't hit that upside? (Do all clubs do this?)

If Siani hits, he's a great pick. If he doesn't, he'll still have value.

Jesse Winker was always going to hit; if his glove came around at all, he'd be a real difference-maker.

Taylor Trammell (speed), Jose Siri (speed, defense), Alfredo Rodriguez (defense), Tyler Stephenson (power), Friedl (speed, defense)-- all have at least one tool that will give them cups of coffee at the major league level. Ditto pitcher Santillan (FB), Greene (FB), Mella (FB), Herget (FB), et al.

Even if they fail, per se, the fallback is a solid value.

Have big project I'm working. Will close this and start next tonight.

17. Likes:

reds77 (12-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Have big project I'm working. Will close this and start next tonight.
    Thanks for doing all of these!

19. Likes:

HokieRed (12-31-2018),M2 (12-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I'm surprised Siani won that overwhelmingly. I was torn between him and Garcia.
    He's thick with the sheen of what we want him to be. We also have no idea of what he is, other that studly in those jeans.
    Wanted: Big Red Mechanic

Robert Stephenson should be cut. That's just unconscious knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's thick with the sheen of what we want him to be. We also have no idea of what he is, other that studly in those jeans.
    I suspect that Northern US HS guy with upside creates visions of Troutian exploits.

Or is that Troutovian?

22. Likes:

M2 (12-27-2018)

Turn Off Ads?