Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds are still trying to deal for Sonny Gray

Reds are still trying to deal for Sonny Gray

https://si.com/mlb/2018/12/26/mlb-tr...rays-athletics

According to SI this afternoon

Donít really see the need for him at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ghosts, you gotta lay off the weaponized hallucinogens, my man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds are still trying to deal for Sonny Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Don’t really see the need for him at this point
    Not sure I agree as Gray has had a solid MLB career. Wood/Gray/Roark/Castillo seems like a nice rotation. Then let DeSclafani & Mahle battle for the 5th spot. I'm all for intense competition and pitching depth. Just don't give up Trammel or Senzel for Gray.

4. Likes:

EricTheGoat44 (12-27-2018)

Assuming the prospect price is quite low, I would roll the dice with that rotation.

Castillo
    Wood
    Gray
    Roark
    Disco

Mahle
    Sims
    Reed

Though all the one-year contracts aren't ideal, you still have a the trading chips and payflex to replace 1-2 them next year. Hopefully Mahle and/or Sims and the like can grab another spot or 2. In other words, you have options next off-season.

The linked report from Heyman is actually from before the Dodger trade was official, so it’s possible the Reds have backed off from pursuing Gray in the wake of that.

I wouldn’t hate getting Gray, but I really want a TOR guy under team control for 2-3 seasons. That’s not Sonny.
    ďI donít care,Ē Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. ďHeís in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.Ē

7. Likes:

marcshoe (12-26-2018),Randymack (12-27-2018)

While I’d strongly prefer pitching under more control at this point, if Gray could be had for Gutierrez and a non top 15 guy, I’d pull the trigger. I’d be much more interested if we could expand the deal to include Clint Frazier, but I still wouldn’t trade one of the Big 3 to the Yankees.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Randymack (12-27-2018),Tuff Nut (12-27-2018)

Donít really see the need for him at this point
    I'd keep trying to make it happen. If they can move the needle and not sacrifice the future (and I don't consider trading guys like Shed Long, Jeter Downs, Josiah Gray or Keury Mella sacrificing the future). Obviously the big 5, Siri's potential, and Stephenson's profile make them harder to deal for a 1 year guy, and I'd toss Gutierrez in there too. But they're close enough to being a legitimate post season threat that I think a healthy Sonny Gray would help put them in a good position to stack up with the rest of the central. I'm all for it, don't care about him being a rental. What's it matter? He's not costing top prospects and he doesn't have an inflated salary. Prospects are currency to help the team win, now or in the future. If you can cash in mid-level ones, do it and let's play some ball.

Of course, if your scouts think last year was the teal Sonny and his days off being a stud are over, you don't do it. But if that were the case, I doubt they'd still be talking with the Yanks.

I will say this, of all the guys below the top tier (Gio, Miley, Gray etc..), Gray would far and away be my preferred target. As I think if you get him away from NY, and with a pitching coach he's familiar with that he could put up a great year.

With that said, at this point he would be my fallback if you can't make a deal for a legit 1.

12. Likes:

Benihana (12-26-2018),EricTheGoat44 (12-27-2018),Old school 1983 (12-26-2018),Tom Servo (12-26-2018)

Could be a sign that a current rotation member could be needed in another move too. Given Gray's connection to the new PC and Puig's connection to the new HC I could see them both as extension candidates

If nothing else, the past 4 seasons have proven you never have enough pitching.
    Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-26-2018),RiverRat13 (12-26-2018),Ron Madden (12-26-2018),Spider Tre (12-27-2018),The Operator (12-27-2018)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Their source for this is a Dec. 20 Fancred article from Jon Heyman. This is hardly new information, and really irresponsible for them to put this into an article today. (My guess is their AI algorithm picked it up and inserted it, believing it to be new info.)
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Gray as a depth signing is phenomenal. He's exactly the type of arm to gamble on.

Gray as a number one guy is what the Reds have done, more often than not, over the past 25 years.

18. Likes:

BillyJoeJimBob (12-26-2018)

Maybe Kuery Mella. No on Santillan or Gutierrez. If they won't budge on those two I'd rather look elsewhere.

20. Likes:

Kc61 (12-26-2018)

Absolute no on Gray we do not need him.

2020 Reds aren't looking very great

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    2020 Reds aren't looking very great
    Sun will explode, all will be well.
    Go Gators!

24. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-30-2018),The Operator (12-27-2018),tripleaaaron (12-27-2018)

Turn Off Ads?