Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

This could easily be a terrible hire, but Joe Goodberry made the point that with the constraints the Bengals operate under they need to hit big on either a QB or head coach, and this is buying a lottery ticket. I think that's right, best to take a big swing.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    See? All you naysayers had no faith that Mike Brown would do the right thing. I did. Every year, for the last 15 years, he has done something positive that he had never tried before in order to try to win a Super Bowl. It's just baby steps with him, but it's been nothing but forward for a decade and a half.

With all of this growth from Mike Brown, and the jettisoning of Marvin Lewis and his entire staff (less Simmons and Pollack, both of who should stay), the Bengals franchise have climbed out of Wonderland and are back in NFL reality and relevance. 2019 playoffs, here we come! This time with a victory.
    Mike Brown is locked in a room with Richard Simmons. Take the word of their handlers that all is well.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Kubiak is now free to interview elsewhere...I am betting he lands here with Mike Sherman as well. Throw in Pollack and Van Pelt along with Taylor's brother in Philly and you have an impressive staff.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-11-2019),WrongVerb (01-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This could easily be a terrible hire, but Joe Goodberry made the point that with the constraints the Bengals operate under they need to hit big on either a QB or head coach, and this is buying a lottery ticket. I think that's right, best to take a big swing.
    You never know how a Coach or Quarterback is going to work. Sometimes you know that they won't work out, but you never know if they will. Too many dynamics involved. You try to weigh things in your favor and then hope that you have a staff that has the ability to adjust. One thing we know for certain: Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis are not Men who have the ability to make adjustments. Their egos are simply way too big. It takes a little bit of humility to make adjustments in a timely manner. You have to be willing to admit you are wrong while you are being wrong.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Kubiak is now free to interview elsewhere...I am betting he lands here with Mike Sherman as well. Throw in Pollack and Van Pelt along with Taylor's brother in Philly and you have an impressive staff.
    I hope you’re right but I wouldn’t count on getting all three of Kubiak, Sherman and Press Taylor.
    Go BLUE!!!

2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I hope you’re right but I wouldn’t count on getting all three of Kubiak, Sherman and Press Taylor.
    Two of the three. Kubiak has no connection to here or to Taylor.

I look for Shane Waldron to be here in some capacity as well.

Edit: add Darrell Bevell to the list:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/1...s-news-vikings
    Last edited by WVRed; 01-12-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Two of the three. Kubiak has no connection to here or to Taylor.

I look for Shane Waldron to be here in some capacity as well.

Edit: add Darrell Bevell to the list:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/1...s-news-vikings
    Bevell would be a nice get...I always liked him in Seattle with the exception of one play.

Rapoport said Bevell and Ben McAdoo are the two names to keep an eye on for OC.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I want to know who these Bengals and Reds teams are, and what did they do with the major league professional teams that have been in Cincinnati for the past 25 years?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

See? All you naysayers had no faith that Mike Brown would do the right thing. I did. Every year, for the last 15 years, he has done something positive that he had never tried before in order to try to win a Super Bowl. It's just baby steps with him, but it's been nothing but forward for a decade and a half.

With all of this growth from Mike Brown, and the jettisoning of Marvin Lewis and his entire staff (less Simmons and Pollack, both of who should stay), the Bengals franchise have climbed out of Wonderland and are back in NFL reality and relevance. 2019 playoffs, here we come! This time with a victory.
    I can't say whether this hire will work out but I can say "I told you so" to everyone that said either Marvin or Hue would be the head coach next yr...and that includes you Dave Lapham!...Like you I knew MB knew better than to hire either of these two guys. This isn't your father's Mike Brown.

Having said all that, here's a question to fellow Bengal fans: Should we root for Dallas today so our new coach can get busy building his staff and team sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Rapoport said Bevell and Ben McAdoo are the two names to keep an eye on for OC.
    I have absolutely no interest in Bevell. My Seahawk connections hated the guy. He was horrible. His game plan was put the ball in Russell Wilson's hands and let him do his thing and hand the ball to Beast Mode.

I want a coach who knows how to design plays to get receivers open. I see wide open receivers for good teams. Last yr I saw it with Jacksonville, NE and Philly. The Jags WRs were so open even Bortles was effective making plays. In Philly it doesn't matter who the QB is. They win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I have absolutely no interest in Bevell. My Seahawk connections hated the guy. He was horrible. His game plan was put the ball in Russell Wilson's hands and let him do his thing and hand the ball to Beast Mode.

I want a coach who knows how to design plays to get receivers open. I see wide open receivers for good teams. Last yr I saw it with Jacksonville, NE and Philly. The Jags WRs were so open even Bortles was effective making plays. In Philly it doesn't matter who the QB is. They win.
    I have to think requesting to interview Kubiak a week ago means he is the first choice...Mike Sherman currently coaches in the CFL plus he works primarily with the O line so keeping Pollack might make him redundant.

No matter who it is it will primarily be Taylor's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I have to think requesting to interview Kubiak a week ago means he is the first choice...Mike Sherman currently coaches in the CFL plus he works primarily with the O line so keeping Pollack might make him redundant.

No matter who it is it will primarily be Taylor's offense.
    The Bengals aren't the only team asking to talk to him. I know the Jags are. Bengals generally don't fare well when there's competition

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

You saw it last year with Philly, yet DeFlippo couldn't get it done with Minnesota, despite having better Receivers than he had in Philly.

It's imperative that the HC and the O.C. be on the same page, or be the same person.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

You saw it last year with Philly, yet DeFlippo couldn't get it done with Minnesota, despite having better Receivers than he had in Philly.

It's imperative that the HC and the O.C. be on the same page, or be the same person.
    Then hire Press Taylor as the offensive coordinator. If two brothers can’t be on the same page, there’s a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?