Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If Haskins is there and the bengals pass on him it will just be awful.
    If they think Haskins can be a top 10 QB, they'll take him. If not they should pass. I don't think they're delusional about Dalton, as evidenced by the fact that they've said they're not ready to fully commit to him. Between OL and LB, there is likely to be at least one really good player there, so they should be able to get a great, impactful player whether it's Haskins or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea the Chiefs were complete idiots in taking Mahomes and keeping Alex Smith for a year.
    I'm not arguing that. Even though we currently have a crappy roster, a healthy Dalton does ensure we get a few more wins under our belt. The Chiefs clearly had a much better roster than we do right now. Another draft pick between 10 and 20 isn't going to help this franchise do anything. We are currently in the 2015-2017 Reds mode where we have 1 leg into a rebuild and another one in the "let's suck but not too much" mode. We're going to end up in NFL purgatory forever. The moves we've made this offseason already have us down this terrible path.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Enjoy what? Not being a super bowl threat? Linebackers are needed, obviously, but without a quality NFL Qb it doesn’t matter.
    Dalton is a quality QB

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm not arguing that. Even though we currently have a crappy roster, a healthy Dalton does ensure we get a few more wins under our belt. The Chiefs clearly had a much better roster than we do right now. Another draft pick between 10 and 20 isn't going to help this franchise do anything. We are currently in the 2015-2017 Reds mode where we have 1 leg into a rebuild and another one in the "let's suck but not too much" mode. We're going to end up in NFL purgatory forever. The moves we've made this offseason already have us down this terrible path.
    I don't think the Bengals roster is as bad as people think it is. Last season they went 6-10 with Jeff Driskel starting five of those games. The Bengals were actually a correctly called offensive pass interference away from starting the season 6-2 heading into the bye week. Things unraveled down the stretch because of Driskel and a defense that was a siv.

There are some things that need to happen before they get back to being a playoff contending team. But I also don't think this team will be bad enough to pick in the top 5 next season, and will probably be out of the sweepstakes for the kid from Oregon or Tua. If you believe that Haskins is the top QB on your board, and he falls to him, by all means take him. Especially if both Devin's are gone. If Devin Bush is gone at #11, I think you have to take a looooooong hard look at Haskins (believing he will still be there.)

If Dalton stays healthy this upcoming season, the Bengals will win six or so games. That gets you back into the 10-15 mix where you are hoping a QB falls to you.

It's actually difficult for me to understand how anyone would view this team as worse than last year's. They filled a couple of holes mildly in free agency, will presumably get something out of the draft, and 5 games won't be started by a very bad QB.

I don't think they will be good, because they weren't good last year, but I don't see a huge step back either, unless the argument is just that the new coach is going to be a few wins worse than Marvin Lewis, which yeah, maybe.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's actually difficult for me to understand how anyone would view this team as worse than last year's. They filled a couple of holes mildly in free agency, will presumably get something out of the draft, and 5 games won't be started by a very bad QB.

I don't think they will be good, because they weren't good last year, but I don't see a huge step back either, unless the argument is just that the new coach is going to be a few wins worse than Marvin Lewis, which yeah, maybe.
    I think the new coaching staff is much worse than the 2018 staff and they'll be learning on the job. I think it adds up to disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dalton is a quality QB
    Who is 0-4 in playoff games. With how the roster is currently constructed and the other teams in the division improving, I really don’t know if I want to wait 3-4 years to find out if the problem is Dalton or Marvin.

I don’t think they are worse, but I don’t think they are better. The rest of the division has improved (Steelers addition by subtraction).

It’s the 90s Bengals basically. Not good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to get a top 5 pick to start a full rebuild.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think the new coaching staff is much worse than the 2018 staff and they'll be learning on the job. I think it adds up to disaster
    I can see this argument, but it sounded like others were saying it because of the roster.

I'll say again, I think they'll be bad, because they were bad last year, but they look about the same to me, and Dalton over 16 games is probably worth another win or two vs. the backup playing 5 games.

If the new coach is average I could see them being in the 6-10 win range, if he's bad then 2-5. My way too early prediction.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I agree that the record will not be good...starting at Seattle is killer. However I like this new staff mostly because it isn't the old staff, I am excited to see what 3 offensive guys in Taylor, Callahan, and Van Pelt can come up with.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Dalton is a quality QB
    He does not have the talent to win a super bowl.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Dehner did his podcast and spent several mins talking about how much the Bengals love Dalton and think he can thrive in Taylor's offense...I don't see it being Haskins, but I also don't think Haskins gets to 11 so the point for me is moot.

I am more interested in seeing what transpires and who falls and if the Bengals get offered a pick to trade back, if they trade back I think the go OL.

I do a mock for NFL.com Predict the Pick and I have no clue how I am going to go, draft is wide open.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Dalton is a quality QB
    Dalton can't see over his linemen. I know what his height is listed at, but I walked right past him at the Apple Store the other day. If he's taller than 6 foot zero, then I guess I am too. (I'm not).

Plenty of guys like Brees are short for QBs and still get it done. But they must have something that Dalton doesn't because it's always the same thing. Take away the short and intermediate middle of the field, and it all goes downhill from there. Maybe it's gameplan, I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Dalton can't see over his linemen. I know what his height is listed at, but I walked right past him at the Apple Store the other day. If he's taller than 6 foot zero, then I guess I am too. (I'm not).

Plenty of guys like Brees are short for QBs and still get it done. But they must have something that Dalton doesn't because it's always the same thing. Take away the short and intermediate middle of the field, and it all goes downhill from there. Maybe it's gameplan, I dunno...
    Don’t they measure height at the combine in front of the media? Doesn’t seem like something you can BS at nfl level. Sure you didn’t just walk by a red headed dude?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-25-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Dalton has the occasional great game and sometimes has good stretches, but overall requires pretty much everything around him to be too perfect for him to actually be reliable. You can get a QB who can do more with the teams that Dalton is given, and the Bengals should do exactly that. Dalton is basically the Marvin Lewis of QBs at this point. It’s time to move on.

I can see this argument, but it sounded like others were saying it because of the roster.

I'll say again, I think they'll be bad, because they were bad last year, but they look about the same to me, and Dalton over 16 games is probably worth another win or two vs. the backup playing 5 games.

If the new coach is average I could see them being in the 6-10 win range, if he's bad then 2-5. My way too early prediction.
    To be fair they looked very good early in the season. It was only after a plethora of injuries that they looked bad

Turn Off Ads?