Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It’s not even about Big Ben. You could say the same thing about Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre for two years.

It’s the situation. Haskins is a QB that would have to have everything break right for him to be successful. Ending up on a team like the Bengals or even a team like the Dolphins, Broncos, or Redskins (if they even take a QB) might not be the best case scenario.
    Your all over the place with your analysis. You compared Murray to Wilson like that is a bad thing. Who cares if he was taken in the third round, he has been quite successful. I don't get why everything would have to break right for Haskins to be successful, he has all the tools, and is quite impressive reading defenses. As for pittsburgh being a good place to go, no I have to disagree. There is a reason pitt always has a veteran backup, and his name is big ben. I venture to say pitt would be the worst place for a qb to go. Who have they developed at qb while ben has been their? Lastly pitt is totally dysfunctional right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Speaking of Wilson, he's about to become the highest paid QB in the NFL.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Haskins might be a good QB, but the Murray fella from OU is on a completely different level.
    Athletically he is definitely on a different level. Unfortunately that isn't the main determining factor in becoming a successful NFL QB. An NFL quarterback needs to read defenses, go through progressions and make good, quick decisions. Defensive schemes and talent is on a different level in the NFL, so an quarterback that struggles with any of that will not be successful. But if you ask me the intangibles such as desire, work ethic, leadership are at least as important. I don't know how Murray and/or Haskins stacks up, and frankly I don't think anyone on here is qualified to make definitive statements either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Haskins might be a good QB, but the Murray fella from OU is on a completely different level.
    You are correct and that level is quite a bit lower than Haskins.

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Your all over the place with your analysis. You compared Murray to Wilson like that is a bad thing. Who cares if he was taken in the third round, he has been quite successful. I don't get why everything would have to break right for Haskins to be successful, he has all the tools, and is quite impressive reading defenses. As for pittsburgh being a good place to go, no I have to disagree. There is a reason pitt always has a veteran backup, and his name is big ben. I venture to say pitt would be the worst place for a qb to go. Who have they developed at qb while ben has been their? Lastly pitt is totally dysfunctional right now.
    Let me ask you this:

Do you think Haskins, one year of full starting experience at Ohio State (hence the Akili Smith comparison), could come in and be an impact QB in spite of the coaching staff that has been assembled?

Iím not even using the Steelers as a full example. I could have said the Patriots. Yes, Brady is still there and ran off Jimmy G, but Iím saying there are certain teams that can develop players and Cincinnati is not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Let me ask you this:

Do you think Haskins, one year of full starting experience at Ohio State (hence the Akili Smith comparison), could come in and be an impact QB in spite of the coaching staff that has been assembled?

I’m not even using the Steelers as a full example. I could have said the Patriots. Yes, Brady is still there and ran off Jimmy G, but I’m saying there are certain teams that can develop players and Cincinnati is not one of them.
    I have a hard time saying any first year qb can go to any team and be successful the first year. It rarely happens regardless of what team they go to. Obviously, their are better landing spots because of surrounding talent, coaching staffs, and development for qbs. Haskins has the tools, talent, and head to be successful at any team he goes to just not this year. There are definitely better spots for him to land to properly develop, but where he goes wont define his career. He sees the field well, is a hardworker, and can throw the ball. IMO he will be the most successful qb in this draft regardless of who takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzling Hot View Post
    I have a hard time saying any first year qb can go to any team and be successful the first year. It rarely happens regardless of what team they go to. Obviously, their are better landing spots because of surrounding talent, coaching staffs, and development for qbs. Haskins has the tools, talent, and head to be successful at any team he goes to just not this year. There are definitely better spots for him to land to properly develop, but where he goes wont define his career. He sees the field well, is a hardworker, and can throw the ball. IMO he will be the most successful qb in this draft regardless of who takes him.
    So if he fails, what will be the reason in the eyes of the Buckeye faithful?

The obvious answer: whichever team drafted him didnít develop him right. He fell into a bad situation.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Hard pass on Haskins. Besides we have bigger fish to fry. Lets fix OL and our secondary fiest and foremost. Murray is the only QB who looks remotely like a franchise QB this year. Andy can take us to the playoffs. With the positional issues we have, its much more important we bolster those now and build for the future so we have a squad ready to go when the QB of the future presents himself for the Bengals.

11. Likes:

Playadlc (03-25-2019),Reds Fanatic (03-21-2019),WrongVerb (03-20-2019),WVRed (03-20-2019)

Point is moot where we are picking Haskins and Murray will not be available...I would imagine someone really good will drop to us as teams are jockeying to get QB's.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Point is moot where we are picking Haskins and Murray will not be available...I would imagine someone really good will drop to us as teams are jockeying to get QB's.
    There's a better than even chance Haskins falls to 11.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    There's a better than even chance Haskins falls to 11.
    I really doubt it. History has shown that teams will jump up and over draft QBs. He'll be long gone by 11

So if he fails, what will be the reason in the eyes of the Buckeye faithful?

The obvious answer: whichever team drafted him didn’t develop him right. He fell into a bad situation.
    My biggest concern with Haskins would be a couple of things.
    1. He is forced into a starting role early. He needs time to develop.
    2. He is drafted into a situation where the team doesn't do a good enough job building a line around him. He won't be successful with a GB or Seattle type of line. He isn't mobile enough.
    3. I think with anything, I think Haskins will fail if he is unable to move within the pocket and he relies on arm strength too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I really doubt it. History has shown that teams will jump up and over draft QBs. He'll be long gone by 11
    Itís possible but with last years run on QBs and no canít miss prospects available, Haskins could very well be there when the Bengals pick:

Cardinals: Going with Murray or likely blowing smoke to get the Raiders to move up.

Raiders: Want Murray but would probably stick with Carr if not available.

Giants: Sticking with Eli for whatever reason.

Broncos: Elway likes Drew Lock. If they take a QB thatís their likely play.

Redskins: Traded for Case Keenum and they like Colt McCoy. Could be a player next year.

Dolphins: See the Redskins except with Fitzpatrick at QB.

Jaguars: Nick Foles isnít a long term option but Coughlin prefers veterans.

It’s possible but with last years run on QBs and no can’t miss prospects available, Haskins could very well be there when the Bengals pick:

Cardinals: Going with Murray or likely blowing smoke to get the Raiders to move up.

Raiders: Want Murray but would probably stick with Carr if not available.

Giants: Sticking with Eli for whatever reason.

Broncos: Elway likes Drew Lock. If they take a QB that’s their likely play.

Redskins: Traded for Case Keenum and they like Colt McCoy. Could be a player next year.

Dolphins: See the Redskins except with Fitzpatrick at QB.

Jaguars: Nick Foles isn’t a long term option but Coughlin prefers veterans.
    You can't get too caught up with analyzing each team in front of the Bengals. If they don't want him some team who does will trade up

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You can't get too caught up with analyzing each team in front of the Bengals. If they don't want him some team who does will trade up
    The Jaguars, Redskins, and Dolphins all pick behind Cincinnati.

You also canít discount New England or Pittsburgh, although they took the guy from Oklahoma State last year.

Turn Off Ads?