Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with Grier. Older QB's in a pass happy conference scare the heck out of me.
    Like Mayfield? Grier as a 2nd rounder would seem to make a lot of sense if an OL or LB doesn't fall to them there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Like Mayfield? Grier as a 2nd rounder would seem to make a lot of sense if an OL or LB doesn't fall to them there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like Weeden?

Mayfield was a different kind of prospect. I think there were, or should have been, some concerns about his age prior to being drafted.

Honestly I think its a wasted pick of Grier in round two, especially with holes all over the place. I would rather have them draft their #1 guy in the 1st than take a flier in round 2.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Lol, Grier just turned 24. Most QBs going from college to pro are 22-23 during their rookie seasons. Weeden was 28.

That being said, hard pass. Maybe during the 4th onward, because I don't know what Grier does so much better than the other guys being projected around there. Jordan Ta'amu from Ole Miss is someone to keep an eye on.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

As someone who follows WVU, hard pass.

Two big knocks on Grier:

1. He doesn’t know when to get rid of the ball and live to fight for another down. Two games WVU lost last season (Iowa State and Oklahoma State) were for this very reason. Instead of taking the sack or throwing it away, he tries to get rid of the ball and it’s usually a turnover.

2. Skipping the bowl game. There isn’t a whole lot of separation between any of the first round QBs outside of Kyler Murray. He could have worked to improve his draft stock and likely have been a first round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Like Weeden?

Mayfield was a different kind of prospect. I think there were, or should have been, some concerns about his age prior to being drafted.

Honestly I think its a wasted pick of Grier in round two, especially with holes all over the place. I would rather have them draft their #1 guy in the 1st than take a flier in round 2.
    Grier is a week older than Mayfield and graduated a year behind him. He's not young, but he's not old. I don't really think there should be concerns about his age.

Grier is definitely a polarizing prospect. I've seen him projected as high as the Bengals at 11 and all the way back to the 3rd round. I agree they shouldn't reach for him. But if Taylor really likes him, then I'm fine with the Bengals getting him. Grier may end up to be only as good as Dalton, but Dalton on a 2nd round contract is very valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As someone who follows WVU, hard pass.

Two big knocks on Grier:

1. He doesn’t know when to get rid of the ball and live to fight for another down. Two games WVU lost last season (Iowa State and Oklahoma State) were for this very reason. Instead of taking the sack or throwing it away, he tries to get rid of the ball and it’s usually a turnover.

2. Skipping the bowl game. There isn’t a whole lot of separation between any of the first round QBs outside of Kyler Murray. He could have worked to improve his draft stock and likely have been a first round pick.
    He threw 8 interceptions this season on 400 attempts. That's not especially turnover prone.

Skipping the bowl game is something that fans care about, but nobody NFL even thinks about. He wasn't going to move up draft boards by playing well against Syracuse.

Outside of the playoffs, they should all skip the bowl games
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Outside of the playoffs, they should all skip the bowl games
    If I was a top pick, I think I would still play in some of the bigger bowls, like Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc., but I can't fault guys that skip them. If a guy is going to be a top pick, I can't understand why they would want to play in the Camping Bowl.

He threw 8 interceptions this season on 400 attempts. That's not especially turnover prone.

Skipping the bowl game is something that fans care about, but nobody NFL even thinks about. He wasn't going to move up draft boards by playing well against Syracuse.
    It’s the Big 12. Not exactly a conference known for defense. Plus playing for Dana Holgorsen will inflate any QB. Look at Geno Smith.

I don’t disagree with players skipping bowl games but I think Grier could have with a monster performance moved ahead of Lock and Jones. Haskins maybe not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If the team is going to get "only" such a bowl, why play any of the last couple regular season games either, if you're a top prospect? They're just as risky as bowls and may have no more meaning, depending on the team record.

If I was a top pick, I think I would still play in some of the bigger bowls, like Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc., but I can't fault guys that skip them. If a guy is going to be a top pick, I can't understand why they would want to play in the Camping Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It’s the Big 12. Not exactly a conference known for defense. Plus playing for Dana Holgorsen will inflate any QB. Look at Geno Smith.

I don’t disagree with players skipping bowl games but I think Grier could have with a monster performance moved ahead of Lock and Jones. Haskins maybe not so much.
    His turnover rate was basically the same as Kyler Murray's. Playing with Lincoln Riley inflates QBs too, but Mayfield looks fine. I'm not saying that Grier is going to be awesome, but he's not just a Holgorsen creation. He was good as a freshman at Florida too before he got popped for PEDs.

Nothing Grier did in the bowl game would have raised his stock. Maybe if he was in the Fiesta Bowl, but the Camping Bowl is not going to change evaluations. The Senior Bowl was much more important, where his performance was mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If the team is going to get "only" such a bowl, why play any of the last couple regular season games either, if you're a top prospect? They're just as risky as bowls and may have no more meaning, depending on the team record.
    Yep
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Because there is around a month gap between the last game and the bowl game. That time could be used for draft prep.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Grier is a week older than Mayfield and graduated a year behind him. He's not young, but he's not old. I don't really think there should be concerns about his age.

Grier is definitely a polarizing prospect. I've seen him projected as high as the Bengals at 11 and all the way back to the 3rd round. I agree they shouldn't reach for him. But if Taylor really likes him, then I'm fine with the Bengals getting him. Grier may end up to be only as good as Dalton, but Dalton on a 2nd round contract is very valuable.
    Its kinda nit picking, but I think that is what you get into at this point in the draft prep. QB's are weird, because for the most part they are over-drafted. You draft a 1st rounder to be your franchise QB, then after that its pretty much a crap shoot. If Grier isn't a 1st rounder, or isn't a guy you are set on being a franchise QB, I don't know why you take him in round 2 or 3. I think his age may ding him a little bit because he was an older guy playing in college football. Does he have as much upside as a guy like Haskins (just using for an example)? Is Grier Andy Dalton 2.0? A guy who can be good enough, but not exactly a guy you want to count on to be a top tier QB?

I don't have any interest in a QB unless they think he can be a top 5-10 guy. Dalton is perfectly fine as is if you're settling for a mid-tier guy. He's not really a cap killer either, so the savings part is overblown I think.

Turn Off Ads?