Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’m not even a bengals fan...

This is a nonsense post. If Haskins was on Michigan they would have actually probably beaten OSU last year and I would be saying “that dude is legit.”

I think your post is very lame. Can’t really argue against it because you will just say “BS! You’re just a homer!”

It’s weak.
    Rarely are one yr starters worthy of a top 1st rd draft pick. Maybe Haskins is one of them. We'll see

2. Likes:

WVRed (04-23-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’m not even a bengals fan...

This is a nonsense post. If Haskins was on Michigan they would have actually probably beaten OSU last year and I would be saying “that dude is legit.”

I think your post is very lame. Can’t really argue against it because you will just say “BS! You’re just a homer!”

It’s weak.
    I honestly get it. I was pissed a couple years ago when the Bengals took Cedric Ogbuehi over Bud Dupree and the only silver lining is that while Ced is a bust, Dupree hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in Pittsburgh.

I’d love for the Bengals to take Josh Allen this year but I know unless they move up into the top three it’s not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I can't think of any Ohio State QB who's had a better NFL career than Andy Dalton. Mike Tomczak's the best one I can think of and his career QB rating was less than 70.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This happens every year. Last year was the first time the Bengals took any player of value from Ohio State. In the past though, the Buckeye homers salivate over which prospects could potentially get drafted by the Bengals.

Chris Perry over Chris Gamble. Jeremy Hill over Carlos Hyde. I’m sure there’s more.

But yeah, put Haskins on Bama or Michigan and see what happens.
    Well in those cases OSU fans would have been correct. But yes, we obviously generally overrate prospects we know and like.

7. Likes:

Todd Gack (04-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't think of any Ohio State QB who's had a better NFL career than Andy Dalton. Mike Tomczak's the best one I can think of and his career QB rating was less than 70.
    What does Mike Tomczak have to do with Dwyane Haskins? Other than the fact they went to OSU, they have nothing in common. This kind of in depth draft analysis is useless.

I remember when there were times where Tedford QB's were terrible, until Aaron Rodgers. Michigan QB's have been pretty bad over the past few decades, well except for one guy. Remember when small QB's couldn't be successful in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    My point was, why would they? They weren't close enough to consideration to really even discuss it. Andy Dalton is a good pocket passer too. Why would the Bengals burn a 1st round pick on basically the same guy? Please don't bring up the B1G records. They don't mean as much to me as they do to you.
    Dalton is an OK pocket passer who does many things well, but he's a very poor deep passer. I think he's good enough that the Bengals could theoretically win a Super Bowl with him, but I'm doubtful that they'll have the pieces around him to make that happen while he's still in his prime. But Haskins and Dalton are not the same type of passer. Haskins has elite arm strength and can push the ball downfield. He's certainly got flaws, specifically his footwork, but I think he made a lot of progress in those areas the last 4 games of the year, so whoever drafts him is going to hope that continues. If he can settle his feet in the pocket, he's going to be a top level QB because he's got a strong arm and has proven the ability to quickly go through his reads and process what the defense is giving him. If he doesn't get that figured out though, he's really going to struggle.

As an OSU fan who's watched every meaningful play of Haskins career, I'm still confused about why he was so immobile to start the year. He was never expected to be a burner, but he ripped off a 20 yard run to the goal line against Michigan when he came in for Barrett his freshman year and outran defenders to the corner. Then last year he looked completely uncoordinated every time he tried to run. He seemed to get his legs from the Maryland game on though.

With Green and Ross, the Bengals have the potential to really threaten defenses downfield, but Dalton puts a ceiling on that part of the game. If they think they can improve Haskins' footwork and that he has top-10 QB potential, they should take him. The Bengals play the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL this year. While they may not be better than last year, it wouldn't be surprising if they won more games. If they get healthy, they could even end up with a pretty good record, which would take them out of the running for any good QBs next year. Dalton is good enough that they definitely don't need to reach for a QB, but if one is available, they should make a move.

This past year is the first time in my memory as an OSU fan that the passing game has been the focal point of the offense though. OSU has not had pro-level QBs, so they've historically been a running team, whether in I-formation like Tressel or spread with Meyer. There's a reason that the focus of the offense changed last year, and that's because they finally had a guy who could really throw it. Not saying Haskins is going to be a star, but it's not fair to compare him to the OSU QBs of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Well in those cases OSU fans would have been correct. But yes, we obviously generally overrate prospects we know and like.
    I saw something where an OSU guy did a revisionist history draft with the Browns taking OSU players. Yea the Browns would be pretty good had they done that. I know a lot of non-Buckeye fans thing its us being homers, but OSU has been a NFL pipeline over the past few years, a pipeline that has produced impact players at every position, every position with the exception of QB. And to be honest, Haskins is the first QB OSU has produced in over a decade who has a skill set to succeed in the NFL.

Reading about QB prospects, any of Jones, Lock, or Haskins would be fine with me. One thing that might make the difference: Jones had the 3rd highest Wunderlich score of any QB who took it, while Lock and Haskins were middle of the pack. Murray was dead last.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...x1vm1hq0zrwf1j

My draft philosophy, such as it is, is that in the 1st round, take the best OL or DL you can get, UNLESS you can draft a franchise QB. So as I said before, if the Bengals think any of these guys is a franchise QB, they should take him at #11.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What does Mike Tomczak have to do with Dwyane Haskins? Other than the fact they went to OSU, they have nothing in common. This kind of in depth draft analysis is useless.

I remember when there were times where Tedford QB's were terrible, until Aaron Rodgers. Michigan QB's have been pretty bad over the past few decades, well except for one guy. Remember when small QB's couldn't be successful in the NFL?
    Hey, I'm just merely saying it as an aside. Sure, Haskins may be the next Aaron Rodgers and if he is he'll be the greatest NFL QB ever from Ohio State. Maybe he is that good. We'll soon see. But OSU QBs have never been very good in the NFL. Just sayin'

If Haskins is as good as the OSU fans say he is there's no way he'll last till the Bengals pick. The Giants will grab him or another team will trade up

If Haskins is as good as the OSU fans say he is there's no way he'll last till the Bengals pick. The Giants will grab him or another team will trade up
    The knock on Haskins is one year of college experience. The Bengals drafted a QB already that had the same sample size and it set the team back for a decade.

Statistically Haskins is better than Akili but given the Akili experience I’m sure anyone can understand not wanting to go down that road again.

At this point I just want to see the Bengals take Daltons replacement sometime in the next three years. That said, I think the dead cat bounce will happen and put the Bengals out of range for one of the top QBs next year and possibly the year after (Trevor Lawrence).

I’m trusting Taylor. If it’s Haskins, so be it. Same with Drew Lock or Daniel Jones. If it’s Tua, Fromm, or Herbert next year, same.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

16. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Dalton is good enough that they definitely don't need to reach for a QB, but if one is available, they should make a move.
    Dalton's also good enough that I seriously doubt they're going to be in a position to draft a top QB next year. It could happen, but I wouldn't gamble on it. The odds are good that they're always going to be at least in the 10-15 draft slot range with him starting.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The knock on Haskins is one year of college experience.
    It has to be different when you're talking about a Sophomore coming out with one year of experience vs. a senior coming out with one year of experience. It's silly to act like those are the same scenarios.

It also discounts that Haskins did play his freshman year and looked just as good.

A 70% completion percentage is exactly what I want to see out of someone.
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

I don't watch Ohio State every week like you guys do, but it looked like if he didn't have by far and away the best team on the field he was average. That's just what my untrained eye told me. He looked slow, but a good passer. I just don't see it, but no one is paying for my draft coverage anytime soon either.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Turn Off Ads?