Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Re: 2019 Bengals Season - The Post Marvin era begins

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I don't watch Ohio State every week like you guys do, but it looked like if he didn't have by far and away the best team on the field he was average. That's just what my untrained eye told me. He looked slow, but a good passer. I just don't see it, but no one is paying for my draft coverage anytime soon either.
    There wasn’t a game all season where he looked average. He had a bad first half against Penn State. That was about it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There wasn’t a game all season where he looked average. He had a bad first half against Penn State. That was about it.
    You're also forgetting that pretty much all of Urban's QB's have been great. . . . . in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    You're also forgetting that pretty much all of Urban's QB's have been great. . . . . in college.
    Dwayne Haskins was only an Urban guy because he was the HC. In reality Haskins is the first Ryan Day QB. He was hand picked by Day and developed by Day.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I don't watch Ohio State every week like you guys do, but it looked like if he didn't have by far and away the best team on the field he was average. That's just what my untrained eye told me. He looked slow, but a good passer. I just don't see it, but no one is paying for my draft coverage anytime soon either.
    He had 400 passing yards and 6 TDs against a top 5 defense in the country (Michigan). But sure.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I really don't think you guys would like Haskins as much, if he weren't from Ohio State.
    This is the sole reason I would NOT draft him.

To me it seems really simple. What is the answer to the question "Are you going to resign Andy?"

If yes, then no need to draft a QB.
    If no, then you need to draft a QB in 2019 or 2020. If 2019, and then you can trade Andy (either during season, or off season) and get what you get for him. If 2020, you see how things work with the new coaches and Andy in 2019, if its bad, trade Andy before deadline and live with Driskel for the rest of the season, get a higher pick and draft a new QB.

If unsure, then use the 2020 plan.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    To me it seems really simple. What is the answer to the question "Are you going to resign Andy?"

If yes, then no need to draft a QB.
    If no, then you need to draft a QB in 2019 or 2020. If 2019, and then you can trade Andy (either during season, or off season) and get what you get for him. If 2020, you see how things work with the new coaches and Andy in 2019, if its bad, trade Andy before deadline and live with Driskel for the rest of the season, get a higher pick and draft a new QB.

If unsure, then use the 2020 plan.
    I don't think they'll make that decision until after Opening Day in Sept this yr. I think the new staff will see how he does in their system and then see what he wants in a new contract

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't think of any Ohio State QB who's had a better NFL career than Andy Dalton. Mike Tomczak's the best one I can think of and his career QB rating was less than 70.
    Joe Namath has a career QB rating of 65.5. Not saying this as a defense of how great Mike Tomczak was, just that pass rating is one of those stats that doesn't compare well at all across eras because of how much the game has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Joe Namath has a career QB rating of 65.5. Not saying this as a defense of how great Mike Tomczak was, just that pass rating is one of those stats that doesn't compare well at all across eras because of how much the game has changed.
    So noted. No one's here bragging about Tomzcak the NFL QB so there's nothing worth debating further on that point

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think they are gambling on Dalton this year...if he has a good year sign him to an extension, if he stinks up the joint and you end up 3-13 your most likely getting a top 3 pick for a QB.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

13. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think they are gambling on Dalton this year...if he has a good year sign him to an extension, if he stinks up the joint and you end up 3-13 your most likely getting a top 3 pick for a QB.
    As has been stated, the Bengals are not going to go 3-13 with Dalton as a starter unless he gets hurt.

The problem is Dalton is essentially Alex Smith. If you want someone mediocre and have the talent around him, you can make it work (KC). As long as Dalton is the Bengals starting QB, get used to 6-10 or 7-9.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He had 400 passing yards and 6 TDs against a top 5 defense in the country (Michigan). But sure.
    I don't think many people out of the B1G fans think Michigan was a top 5 defense. I went back and looked at the games I watched and thought he looked not that great to me. I'll list them off, Penn, Purdue, Nebraska, and Maryland. He did look good during the Michigan game, but so did the whole team.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

I don't think many people out of the B1G fans think Michigan was a top 5 defense. I went back and looked at the games I watched and thought he looked not that great to me. I'll list them off, Penn, Purdue, Nebraska, and Maryland. He did look good during the Michigan game, but so did the whole team.
    Michigan has 2 defensive players that will likely go top 15 and could have 4 defensive guys go in the first 2 rounds. Winovich and Long will be 3rd rounders at worst. They probably weren't a top 5 defense, but they were very good. Haskins also destroyed Washington in the bowl game, which was a top 5-10 defense on the season.

Haskins definitely had a dip in the middle of the season. Going into the Maryland game I was thinking he was going to need to come back for another year. From Maryland on he was a different player, mostly because he looked much more comfortable in chaos in the pocket. While he wasn't fast, he at least looked athletic in the pocket and on the move from that point on and was dominant to close the season. That's part of what makes Haskins a difficult guy to scout. I think the guy the last 4 games of the season was neck and neck with Murray as the top QB. But teams have to be comfortable thinking that he can be that guy consistently going forward. Obviously they would prefer to see him put together a full year like that. If he is that guy, he's worth a top pick. But there's definitely a leap of faith required.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As has been stated, the Bengals are not going to go 3-13 with Dalton as a starter unless he gets hurt.

The problem is Dalton is essentially Alex Smith. If you want someone mediocre and have the talent around him, you can make it work (KC). As long as Dalton is the Bengals starting QB, get used to 6-10 or 7-9.
    Why do we have to settle for 6 or 7 wins with Dalton? He took us to the playoffs 5 straight yrs. I agree his weakness is against top competition as you'll generally see in the post season but he can consistently get you to the playoffs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Michigan has 2 defensive players that will likely go top 15 and could have 4 defensive guys go in the first 2 rounds. Winovich and Long will be 3rd rounders at worst. They probably weren't a top 5 defense, but they were very good. Haskins also destroyed Washington in the bowl game, which was a top 5-10 defense on the season.

Haskins definitely had a dip in the middle of the season. Going into the Maryland game I was thinking he was going to need to come back for another year. From Maryland on he was a different player, mostly because he looked much more comfortable in chaos in the pocket. While he wasn't fast, he at least looked athletic in the pocket and on the move from that point on and was dominant to close the season. That's part of what makes Haskins a difficult guy to scout. I think the guy the last 4 games of the season was neck and neck with Murray as the top QB. But teams have to be comfortable thinking that he can be that guy consistently going forward. Obviously they would prefer to see him put together a full year like that. If he is that guy, he's worth a top pick. But there's definitely a leap of faith required.
    I'd feel better about Haskins if he'd stayed another yr. This just makes him more of a crapshoot

Turn Off Ads?