Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

Could be a signature win here?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-10-2019),North (11-10-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Could be a signature win here?
    Lol no. Did you watch the game? The offensive play calling was still completely awful.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

phatknuckle (11-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol no. Did you watch the game? The offensive play calling was still completely awful.
    Win or not, this game left me feeling uneasy as ever. Their offense is awful, whether that is on Mayfield, the offensive line or the play calling they are not winning anything unless it somehow gels. I keep waiting, but they just aren't getting better. They had something like 7 snaps in one series goal to go of less than 3 yards and couldn't score a touchdown. Kitchen's decisions are awful as ever.

They beat a 6-2 team, have to be happy with that and hope for more growth, both players and coaches.

Finish 6-1 and they've got a shot, but the Steelers, not surprisingly, haven't died, so the Wild Card is going to be tough.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-11-2019),North (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    No, I didn't. Aren't most Buffalo games ugly, though? That's the game they play. Beating them in that style has been tough to do for most teams this season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Alright! For the first time this season I did not get to watch my Browns.. and they won. So that's the winning formula - I'm not allowed to watch any more Brown games this year (LOL).

We did have some personal family matters to attend to, that needed done, and the wife gave me an ultimatum .... We can get it down Saturday and you can watch your Browns, or do it Sunday and you can watch college football. So it came down to one game vs 8-10 really good college games (match-ups). I guess I chose wisely. I saw some of it at Texas Roadhouse, and got home to see the last 5-6 minutes of the game (which turned out to be the best part).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No, I didn't. Aren't most Buffalo games ugly, though? That's the game they play. Beating them in that style has been tough to do for most teams this season.
    I knew this was going to be an ugly game with these two young (struggling) QBs facing stout pass defenses. Again, the Bills are #3, and the Browns #6 in that area. But again, I didn't get to watch most of the game, so as far as play calling, I can't say. But look at the numbers ...

385 yards total. Mayfield was 26/38 for 238 yds, 2 TDs, and finished with his highest QB Rating of the season (102.7) vs a Bill's Pass D that only allows 184 yds/G. I'd say Baker did fine. Chubb ran for 116 yds (5.8 yds/carry), and I thought they used Hunt wisely in his first game back as a dual threat, but was most valuable as a receiver (74 total yds, 44 receiving).

Another game with no turnovers and they continue to clean it up on the penalties. Only had 4, none in the 4Q; but two of them were for 15 yards (PI and roughing passer). Landry had a solid day 9/97. I saw the highlight of his TD reception. Helluva catch and Mayfield put it right there.

Kitchen's plan was to stop the Bill's run game, who have relied on it heavily this year, and make Allen beat them. The Brown's Run D is one of the worst (141 yds/game). The Bills had 84 yards rushing.

But when the Bills scored and went up 16-12 I thought this team showed some character by coming back with their own drive and winning the game.

Should have put some money down on the under 40 (LOL)
    Last edited by GAC; 11-11-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by phatknuckle View Post
    Win or not, this game left me feeling uneasy as ever. Their offense is awful, whether that is on Mayfield, the offensive line or the play calling they are not winning anything unless it somehow gels. I keep waiting, but they just aren't getting better. They had something like 7 snaps in one series goal to go of less than 3 yards and couldn't score a touchdown. Kitchen's decisions are awful as ever.
    I’ve been critical of Kitchens, but that goal line sequence isn’t on him. He mixed up the play calling, tried to get the ball to his best players and didn’t call anything stupid. At some point the line has to push someone back and execute. That one is on the players.

13. Likes:

GAC (11-12-2019),Kingspoint (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Iíve been critical of Kitchens, but that goal line sequence isnít on him. He mixed up the play calling, tried to get the ball to his best players and didnít call anything stupid. At some point the line has to push someone back and execute. That one is on the players.
    When you are that bad in the red zone despite being able to move the ball pretty easily between the twenties, play calling is absolutely part of the issue.

My biggest issue with the goal line sequence is he didn't (to my memory) utilize the two back set with both Chubb and Hunt in the backfield. I have to believe that is a short-yardage nightmare for a defense. Both are strong runners and strong receivers. Pretty hard to guess where the ball is going. If you can't get push you need some sort of misdirection. That and going for it on forth down when you've not been able to move the ball an inch on the six previous attempts. He was going to go for it the next time the got into that situation as well until a false start bailed out the Browns. Otherwise this very well might have been another loss.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    "I truly do not look at stats" is an exact quote. All I did the second time was give the entire paragraph from the linked article. That information was conveniently linked for anyone who wished to discuss it further but that is an exact quote
    He's supposed to use the eye test...at least that's what's being said over in the NBA thread...stats don't count, the eye test is what matters. Maybe that is what Kitchens is using!
    I'm out...like a fat kid in dodgeball

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    He's supposed to use the eye test...at least that's what's being said over in the NBA thread...stats don't count, the eye test is what matters. Maybe that is what Kitchens is using!
    I don't follow the NBA nor do I read that thread but I'll take your word for it...

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Alright! For the first time this season I did not get to watch my Browns.. and they won. So that's the winning formula - I'm not allowed to watch any more Brown games this year (LOL).

We did have some personal family matters to attend to, that needed done, and the wife gave me an ultimatum .... We can get it down Saturday and you can watch your Browns, or do it Sunday and you can watch college football. So it came down to one game vs 8-10 really good college games (match-ups). I guess I chose wisely. I saw some of it at Texas Roadhouse, and got home to see the last 5-6 minutes of the game (which turned out to be the best part).

I knew this was going to be an ugly game with these two young (struggling) QBs facing stout pass defenses. Again, the Bills are #3, and the Browns #6 in that area. But again, I didn't get to watch most of the game, so as far as play calling, I can't say. But look at the numbers ...

385 yards total. Mayfield was 26/38 for 238 yds, 2 TDs, and finished with his highest QB Rating of the season (102.7) vs a Bill's Pass D that only allows 184 yds/G. I'd say Baker did fine. Chubb ran for 116 yds (5.8 yds/carry), and I thought they used Hunt wisely in his first game back as a dual threat, but was most valuable as a receiver (74 total yds, 44 receiving).

Another game with no turnovers and they continue to clean it up on the penalties. Only had 4, none in the 4Q; but two of them were for 15 yards (PI and roughing passer). Landry had a solid day 9/97. I saw the highlight of his TD reception. Helluva catch and Mayfield put it right there.

Kitchen's plan was to stop the Bill's run game, who have relied on it heavily this year, and make Allen beat them. The Brown's Run D is one of the worst (141 yds/game). The Bills had 84 yards rushing.

But when the Bills scored and went up 16-12 I thought this team showed some character by coming back with their own drive and winning the game.

Should have put some money down on the under 40 (LOL)
    There are a lot of positives there, especially the zero turnovers and four penalties against a very tough Defense. That shows discipline, and discipline as we enter the playoff chase run when games get tougher from late November to the end of December. A lot of teams start quitting right now while the cream rises to the top.

18. Likes:

GAC (11-12-2019)

I’ve been critical of Kitchens, but that goal line sequence isn’t on him. He mixed up the play calling, tried to get the ball to his best players and didn’t call anything stupid. At some point the line has to push someone back and execute. That one is on the players.
    Buffalo's Defense is as good as any team in the league in that situation.

20. Likes:

GAC (11-12-2019)

Yeah. I've been critical all season of Kitchens not using Chubb, pounding the ball in when down near the goal-line (inside the 5). Can't fault him for that Sunday. He was doing it. I guess credit the Bills for stuffing it each and every time.

Again, I didn't get to see the game; but as I go back and review the game, and listen to what others are saying, pointing out specific situations during the game, I can agree there were some bad decisions made by Kitchens ... going empty backfield on the Mayfield safety (no protection at all) was bone-head.... He needs to ditch the shovel-pitch play. Have yet to see it work. And don't be trying it with a guy who has been out all year, his first game back.

But here, IMO, is the area that is going to make/break Kitchens, and this entire offensive coaching staff because it's been a HUGE issue all season and not seeing much progress.... red-zone offense.

They were 1 for 5 the week prior in Denver. But Sunday's game was the epitome. Two drives they had the ball on the Bill's one yard line - and couldn't punch it in. The first NFL team since the '93 Jets to run six plays from an opponent's 2-yard line or closer on a possession without scoring. And they had two more attempts because of false starts (LOL).

That's bad folks! And with this team it's not about simply getting into the rz, but they're usually inside the 10 or 5 yard line first and goal. Kitchens says it's the O-line missing assignments. There's truth there. Especially when your RB is nailed in the backfield as soon as he's handed the ball. And the Browns have had O-line woes, shuffling guys around. Kitchens said this after the game... https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news...-red-zone-woes

“I need to call better plays when we get down there. But I am telling you right now, we are running the ball when we get down there."
    Better plays? Uh,Yeah. Because one of the first observations made after the game, when the Browns were getting stuffed at the goal-line, were the slow-developing hand-offs/pitches that are so obvious to defenses in those situations and easy to defend. Yet they kept running the same thing (LOL).

I liked this SI article's observation, and defintely agree they need to use all their weapons and spread it out down there ..... https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns...e-limitations/

The Browns probably should've spread their offense out earlier in the game. As much as everyone would prefer to be able to put everyone in the box and power their way into the end zone, the Browns proved without a doubt they couldn't do it, so it was logical to just go ahead and force the defense to spread out, emptying out the box and giving the offense more options....

The Browns desperately miss David Njoku, who has been on injured reserve since week two. Whether he lined up out wide for goal line fades or in the middle of the formation, defenses had to account for him, sometimes with multiple defenders. That helped create uncertainty on defense which resulted in running lanes to get in the end zone. The difference in red zone efficiency from last year to this year is difficult to ignore and Njoku is the missing piece.
    Last year the Browns had a 68% success rate (TD only) when in the red-zone. This year it's 47%, and only 30% in the last three games.

You better fix it quick before Thursday night's game (LOL).
    Last edited by GAC; 11-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Browns 14, Squeelers 0 at the half.

What will the 2nd half bring?

Name:  Steeler_Ref.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  128.6 KB
    Last edited by North; 11-14-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told.

Jeeze..PGH loses 4 starters in the first half, now another interception. So sad.
    I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told.

Turn Off Ads?