Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 166

Thread: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

  1. #151
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,825

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Score was a surprise.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Isn't the preseason and training camp about meshing...Browns got absolutely mauled today, no other way to put it.
    Most starters don't play that many preseason snaps. They were down to their 3rd string tackle (a guy they just acquired this week) before halftime and before the game got out of hand. Way too many penalties put them behind and they couldn't dig out of the hole. Baker looked out of sync most of the game. Too early to say whether it is a regression or rust. Not panicking yet.

  4. #153
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Score was a surprise.
    Despite all the penalties it was close until Baker started forcing things. It got out of hand quickly.

  5. #154
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    120

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    There was too much hype, anyway. They're a team on the way up but this season is about having a winning season, being a playoff contender, and improving so they can (hopefully) be a Super Bowl contender next year.
    The league scheduled a lot of prime-time appearances for them this year. They did that in 2008 following their 10 and 6 record in 2007. The Browns ended up 4 and 12.

    We shall see.

  6. #155
    Goober GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    28,001

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    There was too much hype, anyway. They're a team on the way up but this season is about having a winning season, being a playoff contender, and improving so they can (hopefully) be a Super Bowl contender next year.
    Yep. Definitely reason for optimism and enthusiasm by Brown fans moving forward. Especially with further off-season improvements. And while an improved team last year, I don't see them jumping from 7-8-1 to the Super Bowl this year. While not out of the realm of impossibility, I have not bought into the hype.

    I was at the Red's game yesterday, so I didn't get to watch the Browns. But I was trying to follow on my phone. Penalties, and a QB trying to do too much, put it all on his shoulders in forcing the issue when it wasn't there ( 3 INTs), was the reason they got walloped IMO. But he was also playing behind a make-shift O-line that was down it's two top left tackles.

    When's the last time the Browns won an opener? LOL

    Maybe this loss will bring Brown fans off cloud 9 and a little bit back to earth.

    Pittsburgh got crushed by the Pats 33-3, so yesterday wasn't a total loss (LOL)
    Last edited by GAC; 09-09-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  7. #156
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    The question is did it bring the players off cloud 9? Post game interviews with Mayfield and Landry show players that are still awfully cocky

  8. #157
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The question is did it bring the players off cloud 9? Post game interviews with Mayfield and Landry show players that are still awfully cocky
    Personally I'm glad their still confident/cocky. Not sure that's a bad thing. Kitchens is a non-nonsense head coach, so I'm sure he's read the riot act to the team. Their offensive line is a mess, and I don't really see that going away, but next week will tell a lot about this team.

  9. #158
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by phatknuckle View Post
    Personally I'm glad their still confident/cocky. Not sure that's a bad thing. Kitchens is a non-nonsense head coach, so I'm sure he's read the riot act to the team. Their offensive line is a mess, and I don't really see that going away, but next week will tell a lot about this team.
    I'll put it this way...the comments from those two guys didn't resemble anything that we'd hear from the Patriots after a loss and Jarvis Landry was downright rude

  10. #159
    Goober GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    28,001

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by phatknuckle View Post
    Their offensive line is a mess
    They were playing without two starters, and Robinson getting ejected in the second quarter didn't help things.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  11. #160
    Goober GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    28,001

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'll put it this way...the comments from those two guys didn't resemble anything that we'd hear from the Patriots after a loss and Jarvis Landry was downright rude
    I've never put too much weight on any players post-game comments.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  12. #161
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    120

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    No Sam Darnold for the MNF game...

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...k-will-be-out/

    Jets stunk last week against BUF. After 4 Bills turnovers, all they could muster was 16 points, and BUF scored 17 straight points for the win.

  13. Likes:

    Kingspoint (09-15-2019)

  14. #162
    Goober GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    28,001

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Watching that game last night, even though we won, showed me this is a young team showing direction, but still coming together as a unit. Work to be done. I think Mayfield is a helluva a talent. He threw some rocket passes last night that were right there. Impressive. Unfortunately, IMO, he was sailing far more passes (you needed a Beckham to catch some), and was making some poor choices, forcing the ball into areas downfield. And at times it wasn't necessary because he had wide-open options in front of him. On that INT in the 2nd half Chubbs was standing wide open under coverage for a sizable gain. I came out of the chair on that one (LOL). Mayfield needs more experience (maturity).

    What can one say about Beckham? He is what he is. Just got a little tired last night with the broadcast's emphasis all about Beckham (and Mayfield). IMO, this Brown's team has a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I think the score last night - especially vs a Jet's team that is not very good (and decimated with injury) - would have been higher with better play calling by the Browns (Kitchen). First off, RB Chubbs needs to get more then 18 carries. He also had 4 rec/32 yds. He's a helluva talent IMO, and a workhorse. Because of the Jets secondary's "fear" of Beckham, there was a lot of open territory under coverage. IMO, they didn't take advantage (flaunt) that as much as they could have with players like Chubb and Johnson. And one pass to a TE (Harris). What happened to Njoku?

    It's only the second game, but I hope the offensive scheme for this team this year is not simply the "Mayfield-Beckham Show". Not with the talent we have on offense on this team. I think the Brown's will have a solid receiving core, and tandem in Beckham/Landry. But that threat can also open up other avenues offensively - like your running game. It can't always be about Mayfield scrambling out of the pocket and launching balls down-field in Beckham's direction, and in coverage, hoping he makes a one-handed catch.

    I like Mayfield's competitiveness and cockiness. But he can't allow that to put everything on his shoulders, that it's all about him. Because it ain't IMO.

    This team is just rough around the edges right now. But their next 5 games are vs teams that are currently 2-0 .... Rams (home), Ravens and 49ers (away), Seahawks (home), and then to Foxboro to face the Patriots. Tough early schedule.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-17-2019 at 05:04 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

  15. Likes:

    dubc47834 (09-17-2019)

  16. #163
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Watching that game last night, even though we won, showed me this is a young team showing direction, but still coming together as a unit. Work to be done. I think Mayfield is a helluva a talent. He threw some rocket passes last night that were right there. Impressive. Unfortunately, IMO, he was sailing far more passes (you needed a Beckham to catch some), and was making some poor choices, forcing the ball into areas downfield. And at times it wasn't necessary because he had wide-open options in front of him. On that INT in the 2nd half Chubbs was standing wide open under coverage for a sizable gain. I came out of the chair on that one (LOL). Mayfield needs more experience (maturity).

    What can one say about Beckham? He is what he is. Just got a little tired last night with the broadcast's emphasis all about Beckham (and Mayfield). IMO, this Brown's team has a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I think the score last night - especially vs a Jet's team that is not very good (and decimated with injury) - would have been higher with better play calling by the Browns (Kitchen). First off, RB Chubbs needs to get more then 18 carries. He also had 4 rec/32 yds. He's a helluva talent IMO, and a workhorse. Because of the Jets secondary's "fear" of Beckham, there was a lot of open territory under coverage. IMO, they didn't take advantage (flaunt) that as much as they could have with players like Chubb and Johnson. And one pass to a TE (Harris). What happened to Njoku?

    It's only the second game, but I hope the offensive scheme for this team this year is not simply the "Mayfield-Beckham Show". Not with the talent we have on offense on this team. I think the Brown's will have a solid receiving core, and tandem in Beckham/Landry. But that threat can also open up other avenues offensively - like your running game. It can't always be about Mayfield scrambling out of the pocket and launching balls down-field in Beckham's direction, and in coverage, hoping he makes a one-handed catch.

    I like Mayfield's competitiveness and cockiness. But he can't allow that to put everything on his shoulders, that it's all about him. Because it ain't IMO.

    This team is just rough around the edges right now. But their next 5 games are vs teams that are currently 2-0 .... Rams (home), Ravens and 49ers (away), Seahawks (home), and then to Foxboro to face the Patriots. Tough early schedule.
    Baker is definitely struggling to regain form from last year. Not terribly worried yet, partly because of lack of preseason work with the entire first team offense and partly because if anyone knows how to keep Baker off balance it would be Gregg Williams. I also agree the play calling has been off so far this season. Offensive line is still my main concern.

    Defensively they looked really good, but it's hard to judge because of how bad the Jets are.

    Rams will be a great test. Baker (and Kitchens) will need to take a big leap forward this week or Baker take a lot of punishment. Should also find out how good this defensive really is.

  17. #164
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    120

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    Injuries piling up for the Browns fo the upcoming Sunday night game against the Rams...

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/201...ort-video.html

  18. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,522

    Re: 2019 Cleveland Browns...We're back !!

    So, what?...11 wins, 12 wins for the Browns?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator