Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

  1. #1
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,753

    Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Looks like Justin Fields has made his decision: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...r-quarterback/

    Also saw this news that wasn't mentioned here at all but made me very happy: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...-harrison-nfl/

    Thoughts? And BTW, should we start a new OSU thread now that their season is over?
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 01-04-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  2. Likes:

    BillDoran (01-04-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    11,278

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Looks like Justin Fields has made his decision: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...r-quarterback/

    Also saw this news that wasn't mentioned here at all but made me very happy: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...-harrison-nfl/

    Thoughts? And BTW, should we start a new OSU thread now that their season is over?
    Ecstatic. Dude is one of the best QB recruits in decades. If Fields were in this years recruiting class he would be the number 1 recruit in the country.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ecstatic. Dude is one of the best QB recruits in decades. If Fields were in this years recruiting class he would be the number 1 recruit in the country.
    Eighth highest ranked recruit since 2000, according to 247. The film on him is crazy.

  6. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (01-04-2019)

  7. #4
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Looks like Justin Fields has made his decision: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...r-quarterback/

    Also saw this news that wasn't mentioned here at all but made me very happy: https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...-harrison-nfl/

    Thoughts? And BTW, should we start a new OSU thread now that their season is over?
    In two weeks Day would have gotten Zach Harrison and Fields? Thats one heck of a start to his tenure. I think there will need to be some locker room massaging but you can't pass up a guy as talented as Fields. (11W is reporting this as well.)

    I saw a comment that Fuller coming back is like getting a 5* recruit. The guy is the rock at the back end of the defense. I think its a smart move for him, I think he has 1st round talent but would be a mid round pick this year.

  8. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (01-04-2019),RedTeamGo! (01-04-2019)

  9. #5
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    11,278

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In two weeks Day would have gotten Zach Harrison and Fields? Thats one heck of a start to his tenure. I think there will need to be some locker room massaging but you can't pass up a guy as talented as Fields. (11W is reporting this as well.)

    I saw a comment that Fuller coming back is like getting a 5* recruit. The guy is the rock at the back end of the defense. I think its a smart move for him, I think he has 1st round talent but would be a mid round pick this year.
    Same with Malik Harrison. I don’t know if he will be a 1st round pick, but he may go from being a 5th or 6th round pick to 2nd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  10. #6
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2018 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Same with Malik Harrison. I don’t know if he will be a 1st round pick, but he may go from being a 5th or 6th round pick to 2nd.
    I think Harrison played better as the season went along. But I am in full agreement, he would have been a late round pick, with a better defense he will be a much higher pick.

  11. #7
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,788

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Will Martell leave?
    “When I use a word,” Trumpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Trumpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,674

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Will Martell leave?
    Hope not. Fields isn’t a lock to be cleared and they are both runners, and runners get hurt.

    Jordan is going pro, so there will be four new starters on the line next year.

  13. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,674

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Alex Grinch is going to OU. Didn’t want to keep being Schianos sous chef, which is understandable. I’m of course assuming Schiano is back.

  14. #10
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    More info about Alex Grinch leaving (and if you're not following Letterman Row for Buckeye news, you're really missing out IMO...their coverage is wonderful): https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...f-alex-grinch/

    Hey, looks like I started the new thread....while not even being on the board at the time. I should only use this power for good, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  15. #11
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Michael Jordan leaving (story link): https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-...res-nfl-draft/

    Can you tell I'm bored at work today, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

  16. #12
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Michael Jordan has a chance to be a quality guard in the NFL for a long time. Rumors were he was moving back to G next season, which woudl help his draft status. Would it have helped that much? I guess not. His departure will hurt the depth, but I expect the line to be better next year.

    Grinch was a guy who I think was the best coach they could get at the time. I wonder if they really wanted to keep him, what stopped them?

    Hopefully Al Washington is heading to OSU as well as Marcus Freeman!

  17. Likes:

    BillDoran (01-04-2019)

  18. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Michael Jordan has a chance to be a quality guard in the NFL for a long time. Rumors were he was moving back to G next season, which woudl help his draft status. Would it have helped that much? I guess not. His departure will hurt the depth, but I expect the line to be better next year.

    Grinch was a guy who I think was the best coach they could get at the time. I wonder if they really wanted to keep him, what stopped them?

    Hopefully Al Washington is heading to OSU as well as Marcus Freeman!
    Love to see Freeman brought in as co-DC. Let him call plays. Bring in Washington to replace Billy Davis. Keep Schiano as co-DC and give him more DB responsibilities again. Tell Taver Johnson he's got one year to prove himself (either as a recruiter or in player development).

    I do think it should be noted that Ohio State's defense has declined as the offense has really ratcheted things up. Without digging too far into the numbers, the offense has increasingly focused on the pass and ramped up tempo. This comes at a defensive cost. Kind of like the defensive counterparts to the Air Raid offenses -- no matter the coordinator or personnel -- always stink. It's the inverse of Tressel Ball. It's also partially why Meyer loved the QB run.

    It's fun to have a high flying offense, but it hamstrings your defense. I wonder with the full embrace of Day's offensive concepts (and the addition of Yurcich) whether we'll see continued struggles on the defensive side of the ball no matter who's in charge. The easy analog for Day is Lincoln Riley, and I don't think it's a stretch to see what the all-in offensive approach can do to a defense. Prior to Riley, they had a proud defensive tradition. With Riley, they might as well have been Washington State or Texas Tech.

  19. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-04-2019)

  20. #14
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Love to see Freeman brought in as co-DC. Let him call plays. Bring in Washington to replace Billy Davis. Keep Schiano as co-DC and give him more DB responsibilities again. Tell Taver Johnson he's got one year to prove himself (either as a recruiter or in player development).

    I do think it should be noted that Ohio State's defense has declined as the offense has really ratcheted things up. Without digging too far into the numbers, the offense has increasingly focused on the pass and ramped up tempo. This comes at a defensive cost. Kind of like the defensive counterparts to the Air Raid offenses -- no matter the coordinator or personnel -- always stink. It's the inverse of Tressel Ball. It's also partially why Meyer loved the QB run.

    It's fun to have a high flying offense, but it hamstrings your defense. I wonder with the full embrace of Day's offensive concepts (and the addition of Yurcich) whether we'll see continued struggles on the defensive side of the ball no matter who's in charge. The easy analog for Day is Lincoln Riley, and I don't think it's a stretch to see what the all-in offensive approach can do to a defense. Prior to Riley, they had a proud defensive tradition. With Riley, they might as well have been Washington State or Texas Tech.
    Good points, I think Freeman could be huge, a former OSU player, a good recruiter, and very good Ohio ties. I would have no issue bringing him in with Schiano in year one. I think Schiano is damaged goods right now and think he needs a rehabilitation year.

    I think defense is much more difficult in today's game. The offense is so potent that even the best defenses struggle. Just for example, OSU destroyed Michigan this season but they still scored 39 points. In one of the best OSU v Michigan games, 2006, Michigan scored the same number of points. One game was a nail bitter, the other was a blowout. Its the nature of tempo, spread, and all the passing in today's game. Even in the OSU v Alabama game, which was pretty much a great all around game, the final score was 42-35. I do think that Oklahoma (and the Big 12's) defensive worries are far more troublesome than OSU's.

    I "think" that a lot of what you are seeing now is why OSU went with Day. They may have been able to get a higher profile coach, but I think what Day kept in tact and had lined up is far more than any other coach would have brought to OSU. I think what Day is doing is stabilizing the recruiting so there are no "bad" classes that cost a team.

  21. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (01-04-2019)

  22. #15
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,795

    Re: Ohio State Football - 2019 Season

    Fields has to take on the NCAA first for hardship waiver...he has a good lawyer but with the NCAA you never know. Rumors have it he did not feel like he was a fit in Georgia's offense. Spring practices will be interesting as I don't see Martell just handing the job over and you also have a Day recruit in Baldwin who is highly thought of.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator