Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Odrisamer Despainge , Rob Wooten signed

Odrisamer Despainge , Rob Wooten signed

Pack your world series bags now boys....we signed the big names now

2. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-09-2019),DocRed (01-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odrisamer Despainge , Rob Wooten

He could be an interesting fit with Derek Johnson. Despainge throws 4 pitches quite often, might benefit from a reduction and focusing on his better offerings. Either way, probably not a lot to see here, likely just minor league depth.

He has greatly under-performed his FIP throughout his career with a really low LOB rate.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

So allow me to predict what will happen. Despainge will show up in Spring Training and will absolutely be lights out. He will look great - the best pitcher in camp. We'll hear all about how he made a tiny adjustment in his wind-up that completely changed his pitching style. He will strike out huge numbers of batters and walk no one all spring. The Cy Young of Spring Training. And by the time ST closes, he will make the big league team out of ST, and be in the rotation.

Of course, by the time he makes his third start in the regular season, fans will be screaming for his release.

Hey, it happens every year ... you simply change the name in the narrative. This year it is Despainge.
    “I walk into the clubhouse today and it’s like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and by the 7th inning he’d already drunk it.” —Tommy Lasorda

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (01-09-2019),membengal (01-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He could be an interesting fit with Derek Johnson. Despainge throws 4 pitches quite often, might benefit from a reduction and focusing on his better offerings. Either way, probably not a lot to see here, likely just minor league depth.

He has greatly under-performed his FIP throughout his career with a really low LOB rate.
    I agree. Every year, clubs sign players like this on minor league deals, the Reds included. Why it's necessary to sarcastically suggest these are anything other than, I don't know. There are occasional gems to be found in these minor league signings, which we've found at times.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

8. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-09-2019),Hobbes (01-09-2019),OGB (01-09-2019),RedlegJake (01-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    So allow me to predict what will happen. Despainge will show up in Spring Training and will absolutely be lights out. He will look great - the best pitcher in camp. We'll hear all about how he made a tiny adjustment in his wind-up that completely changed his pitching style. He will strike out huge numbers of batters and walk no one all spring. The Cy Young of Spring Training. And by the time ST closes, he will make the big league team out of ST, and be in the rotation.

Of course, by the time he makes his third start in the regular season, fans will be screaming for his release.

Hey, it happens every year ... you simply change the name in the narrative. This year it is Despainge.
    Kevin Gregg!!

This all checks out.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (01-09-2019)

Gallardo and Fogg such fond memories

An early entrant into the annual DeWayne Wise award for Spring Training Excellence!
    Goodbye Homer!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    An early entrant into the annual DeWayne Wise award for Spring Training Excellence!
    does that go along with the Victor Santo award (aka spring training cy young award) for pitching

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Gallardo and Fogg such fond memories
    They weren't even good in the spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

The ol' Bryan Price Special
    So in the post game, Price said he pinch hit with Barnhart to bunt so that in case it got to two strikes, Barnhart could hit.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    The ol' Bryan Price Special
    "These guys are pros. We've just gotta get them going."
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-09-2019),membengal (01-09-2019)

Re: Odrisamer Despainge , Rob Wooten signed

My personal favorite "Spring Training Special" was Josias Manzanillo back in 2003. Dude was absolutely nails in ST. Season started and it was like someone turned the light switch off. He actually lasted 9 appearances out of the bullpen before someone finally got the idea it wasn't going to get any better.

The ones that really floor me are the minor league deals with invites to major league camp, where the guy has a poor spring ... and still makes the team out of spring training. Those deals cause me to wonder if some under-the-table "wink-wink" deal hasn't been made. They are just waiting on the comedy writers to come up with a half-way plausible sounding excuse for why the guy made the team.
    “I walk into the clubhouse today and it’s like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and by the 7th inning he’d already drunk it.” —Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?