• Rylan Thomas

2 4.08%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Reds #14 Prospect

Who is Reds #14 Prospect

Mariel Bautista was selected as our #13 Prospsect

Hendrick Clementina (21) C from Curacao. After huge start, settled in with .268 avg and .824 OPS in Dayton.
    Stuart Fairchild (22) - OF from Wake Forest University - Drafted in 2nd round of 2017 Draft. .836 OPS in Dayton but .656 in Daytona.
    Jimmy Herget (25) - RHP from Tampa, FL. Drafted in 6th round of 2015 draft. 3.47 ERA in AAA. Added to 40 man roster.
    Miguel Hernandez (19) - SS from Venezuela. Hit .310 with .338 OBP in Greeneville
    Ibandel Isabel - (23) 1b from Dominican Republic. Blasted 36 homers with .900 OPS in Daytona. Had 28 previous year. Acquired via Ariel Hernandez trade.
    Kuery Mella (25) RHP RHP from Dominican Republic. Acquired from Giants in 2015 Mike Leake deal. 3.00 ERA in minors, 8.68 in 13 innings in Majors.
    Scott Moss (24) - 3.68 ERA and 15-4 record in High A - Drafted 4th round of 2016 draft.
    Rylan Thomas (21) .892 OPS at Greeneville. 26th Round Draft Choice out of UCF in 2018

I am VERY open about adding a name !!
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-09-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Who is Reds #14 Prospect

Hernandez is the last of my "high ceiling but long way to go" group. Voted him.

After that, it's a grouping of "low ceiling but likely to reach the majors" folks: Mella*, Moss, Fairchild, Herget.

Right now I'd put guys like Clementina, Isabel, and Thomas in a "lottery ticket" group. James Marinan, Jacob Heatherly, and Packy Naughton could be added here.

We also should start looking at org guys like Tromp, Okey, AlfRod, Aquino, Longhi, LaValley, etc.
    "Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. " -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Right now I'd put guys like Clementina, Isabel, and Thomas in a "lottery ticket" group. James Marinan, Jacob Heatherly, and Packy Naughton could be added here.
    Lyon Richardson too.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-09-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Hernandez is the last of my "high ceiling but long way to go" group. Voted him.

After that, it's a grouping of "low ceiling but likely to reach the majors" folks: Mella*, Moss, Fairchild, Herget.

We also should start looking at org guys like Tromp, Okey, AlfRod, Aquino, Longhi, LaValley, etc.
    I do not agree that Mella is a low-ceiling guy. His ceiling is a MOR starter on a good team. He may only have a 10% chance to become that MOR starter, but it is not impossible. He has the requisite velocity and some guys get the feel for change-ups later in their career. I am voting Mella until he wins.

7. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Lyon Richardson too.
    Joel Kuhnel? (Recently had a very good scouting report from Doug.)

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-09-2019)

This looks like a good spot for Fairchild. I'm hoping by the end of the year he's solidly established himself in the top ten.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-09-2019)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I do not agree that Mella is a low-ceiling guy. His ceiling is a MOR starter on a good team. He may only have a 10% chance to become that MOR starter, but it is not impossible. He has the requisite velocity and some guys get the feel for change-ups later in their career. I am voting Mella until he wins.
    Fair. But until I see him do it, I'll consider him more likely a swingman/long relief hammer type. A rich man's Sam LeCure, basically.
    "Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. " -- Carl Sagan

Hernandez seems like the easy pick here, but tbh here is where the system begins to take a nosedive (especially with Downs/Gray in LA).

Definitely add Richardson, he'll be in the mix for my next vote.

Let me point out Isabel hit 36 homers in a league where it's tough to hit homers. Florida State League all time record....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

15. Likes:

mace (01-10-2019),RedlegJake (01-11-2019)

I need some arguments on who to pick. Are any of these guys prospects?
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

17. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I need some arguments on who to pick. Are any of these guys prospects?
    Fairchild can probably stick in center, hit well in A, stunk for a month in A+, then raked for a month in A+. Stole 23 bags too. Won't confuse him for Trammell but I think he's a prospect.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

I voted Kuery Mell as the Reds #1 prospect.

Pell Mell!

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-10-2019)

Rylan Thomas, if he learns to hit left handers a little better watch out. He had 22 extra base hits in 179 abs. He walks about as much as he strikes out. Playing first may hurt overall value but this is Votto's replacement. His name may not be getting much love , but I think this changes this year.

I like Hernandez. He's projected to stick at SS (Fangraphs grades him with 55 speed, 55 fielding, and 60 arm), which makes him the the only guy left on the list, other than Fairchild, who offers defensive value. Playing as a 19 year-old in 2018, he was three years younger than Fairchild. He flashed enough of a hit tool to bat .301 in Greeneville. Hernandez received enough of a bonus that I don't think pedigree gives Fairchild the edge, either. I'm excited to see what he does in Dayton this season...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

23. Likes:

Mitri (01-10-2019)

I like Hendrick Clementina a lot more than just about anyone, apparently. He's a catcher who can hit. Those guys are rarer than hen's teeth. That said, he might not be a catcher for long if his defense doesn't pick up. Had he continued to lay waste to Dayton as he did in the first half, he's an easy pick here. However, his second half was mediocre at best. (A 100-point drop in BA was especially troubling.) At this point, he's done enough to be of some interest. Is that enough here? Perhaps in other years, where there's less depth. Not this season, though. He really needs to lose some weight.

Stuart Fairchild did well, then he didn't. That OBP looks really good. But his A+ sucked eggs. Worse, his power completely disappeared. He was positively Hamiltontonian in the (lack of) power he displayed in Daytona. That's seriously troubling-- especially for a prospect whose main question was a lack of pop in his bat. Still, a very good glove and outstanding OBP means he's a likely major leaguer. If everything falls apart, he's still a fifth outfielder for at least a cup of coffee. And there's real upside here. Intriguing.

Miguel Hernandez had the best counting numbers of anyone on the list (Isabel included) and is young for his level. He can play a legitimate SS too. Lots to love. But when you look closer at his numbers, he's actually four percent below league average. That's a major red flag this high on the list. Pass.

Jimmy Herget has a solid floor (middle relief arm that won't kill you) and enough upside in his unorthodox delivery and plus fastball to be a nice option. But he's a relief arm and, for all his stuff, hasn't been as lock-down as he should be. Too many BB's and too hittable. Not yet, but close.

Mella, at first glance, looks a lot like Herget-- a major league middle reliever with some upside due to stuff. Specifically, a fastball that cooks. That said, Mella gives me hope with his AA this season. More K's and less BB's is a great sign that he seems to be "getting it." He's old for his level, though. Mella should be dominating in AA. Like the sneaky good upside there and the floor.

Moss is a production guy with a limited scouting report. I'm waiting until AA; then, maybe.

Thomas and Isabel have one tool and lots of swing-and-miss. Both will have to dominate in AA or show more of a hit tool before I begin to think there's more there. I remember Samone Peters.

For me, Mella over Fairchild, Herget, Clementina, and Hernandez, with both Isabel and Thomas well behind.

I will eventually like to discuss pitchers James Marinan, Jacob Heatherly, Lyon Richardson, Jared Solomon, Jeremy Kivel, and Nick Hanson.

Turn Off Ads?