Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Off Season news and discussion II

Re: 2018-2019 Off Season news and discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Seems like bad business to have to go to arb hearing with a guy you just traded for, on a walk year, that you may want to extend either during the year or at end of the year. Maybe overpay him a million this one year to entice him to extend with a more suitable contract? I don't know...

My initial thought after starting to see the list of guys that are going to hearing was...lets go take advantage of possible bad blood like with Trevor Bauer and do a deal with Indians to get him....but here we are in our own quagmire with a just recently acquired starting pitcher ourselves...
    One arbitration case does not a quagmire make. Look around baseball -- plenty of good players going to arbitration.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's also not unreasonable to think that a multi- year extension is being negotiated. I'm sure the Reds don't want to acquire three pitchers in their walk years, so having Wood under a LTC would make it easier to trade for Gray, or bring in Buchholz or someone like that.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

4. Likes:

CougarQuest (01-12-2019),Revering4Blue (01-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Seems like bad business to have to go to arb hearing with a guy you just traded for, on a walk year, that you may want to extend either during the year or at end of the year. Maybe overpay him a million this one year to entice him to extend with a more suitable contract? I don't know...
    I'm sure there are players who get miffed by going to arbitration. But arbitration is generally the players' best friend. Wood is going to be in the $9 million dollar range win or lose, up from $6 million last year, he can't have too serious an objection to arbitrating the precise amount.

From the team's perspective, these decisions are precedents. It's not just giving Wood several hundred thousand more. It's that the higher level then becomes the basis for the next guy; and then that player's increase becomes the basis for the next guy, etc. So teams have an interest in drawing a line.

Wood has recourse, he goes to arb, and maybe he wins. Can't imagine he rejects a favorable LTC offer because he's headed to an arb hearing but, if so, that's a risk team must take to enforce its overall policy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But arbitration is the players' best friend.
    It was better than the bad old days but it's ultimately become pretty archaic. Something like restricted free agency would be a players best friend, not arbitration. Arbitration used to be the stick you just had to deal with before you got the carrot (big FA contract). Now teams have taken away the carrot, and with all the games about service time and keeping guys underpaid, all most of them are getting is the stick.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It was better than the bad old days but it's ultimately become pretty archaic. Something like restricted free agency would be a players best friend, not arbitration. Arbitration used to be the stick you just had to deal with before you got the carrot (big FA contract). Now teams have taken away the carrot, and with all the games about service time and keeping guys underpaid, all most of them are getting is the stick.
    Arbitration still gives the player an automatic boost in his first arb year.

Take your friend Adam Duvall who just got nearly a $3 million deal because he's arb 1. After a poor season. It's a graphic demonstration of the impact the arb process still has.

Restricted free agency would be tough for small markets. So if you get a gem -- let's say a Suarez -- in his fourth year the Yankees could bid a massive contract for him. Very hard for Reds to match. It cuts the already limited window small markets have to retain good young players.

I agree that in the next CBA they will address the service time cut offs which aren't all working that well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-13-2019)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ituations.html

One potential third base target could be free agent Mike Moustakas, first baseman Eric Hosmer‘s longtime Royals teammate, though Acee casts doubt on the Padres signing him. Meanwhile, they have “explored” trades for the Yankees’ Miguel Andujar (previously reported), the Reds’ Nick Senzel and the Cubs’ David Bote, according to Acee. Speculatively, both Andujar and Senzel may be unrealistic targets for the Padres (or just about anyone else), given their importance to their current teams.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

It is very tempting to wonder how much we could get from their very rich farm if we offered up someone like Suarez with that contract. Not that I necessarily want to, Suarez's contract is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    LeMahieu is still out there, not the year to be a free agent 2B as there are a lot of options.
    Second base is similar to 1B for glove challenged players with a little more mobility these days. The market is always flooded,. It's why I've always thought the notion of making Senzel a 2B to increase his value was off. Making a guy a 2B reduces his value as there are always acceptable market options out there. OTOH, when did the Reds truly have a star caliber OFer? Choo for a year? Jay Bruce for a couple? Adam Dunn? Pre-Injury Griffey for a year and then not so much? Reggie Sanders may be the last guy they've had with a 5+ year run of star caliber production.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-13-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

With the report of Padres interest in Senzel and the reports of the Padres and Reds interest in Kluber, does anyone think a 3 team trade could be in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    With the report of Padres interest in Senzel and the reports of the Padres and Reds interest in Kluber, does anyone think a 3 team trade could be in the works?
    The reports are the Padres didn't want to send any of their top 5 prospects to Cleveland in a Kluber deal. Maybe getting six years of Senzel would get them to give up the prospects the Indians want. SD also has a few CF options the Reds could look to bring back in a blockbuster deal.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-13-2019)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ong-as-hitting

Rookie Orioles manager Brandon Hyde’s staff is starting to come together. Hyde will hire Don Long to work as the Orioles’ hitting coach, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports. Additionally, the Orioles will tab Arnie Beyeler to coach first base, while Jose Flores – whom the O’s hired in December – is “expected” to serve as their third base coach and infield instructor, per Kubatko.

The 56-year-old Long will succeed Scott Coolbaugh, who was Baltimore’s hitting coach from 2015-18 and is now with the Dodgers organization. A former minor league infielder with the Giants, Long spent the past half-decade as the Reds’ hitting coach, but they replaced him with Turner Ward in November. For what it’s worth, the Reds’ Long-led offense ranked eighth in the majors in walk rate, 17th in wRC+ and 18th in runs in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The reports are the Padres didn't want to send any of their top 5 prospects to Cleveland in a Kluber deal. Maybe getting six years of Senzel would get them to give up the prospects the Indians want. SD also has a few CF options the Reds could look to bring back in a blockbuster deal.
    The Padres have nothing!

No links on me but multiple reports of Bryce Harper to the Phillies likely getting announced today or tomorrow. Most notably from Bob Nightingale of USA Today.

Probably means the dominoes really begin to fall after. You all think that removes one less suitor (PHI) for Keuchel and increases our chances?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Second base is similar to 1B for glove challenged players with a little more mobility these days. The market is always flooded,. It's why I've always thought the notion of making Senzel a 2B to increase his value was off. Making a guy a 2B reduces his value as there are always acceptable market options out there. OTOH, when did the Reds truly have a star caliber OFer? Choo for a year? Jay Bruce for a couple? Adam Dunn? Pre-Injury Griffey for a year and then not so much? Reggie Sanders may be the last guy they've had with a 5+ year run of star caliber production.
    Nah I’m not buying that, especially since Senzel could actually play the position well. There are a bunch of good bat lead glove guys at 2B, a guy that can hit like a top tier corner infielder and field well at 2B is still an MVP candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by cnwizz View Post
    No links on me but multiple reports of Bryce Harper to the Phillies likely getting announced today or tomorrow. Most notably from Bob Nightingale of USA Today.
    It does seem like there's some smoke around Harper to Philly but as a general rule you can expect the opposite of whatever Nightengale says will happen lol.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Turn Off Ads?