Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 371

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

  1. #346
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    39,875

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Miami Dolphins defensive lineman Kendrick Norton has had his left arm amputated after a car crash late Wednesday night. He is expected to live.

    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...6ii-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #347
    Member North's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Reading is fundamental.
    Posts
    97

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    How awful...
    Fiat justitia ruat caleum. Nolo timere. Laus Deo.

  4. #348
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    12,886

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    1;15 in the morning, wreck also involved a Maserati.... I suspect impromptu racing.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  5. #349
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    The NFL finally comes up with a good idea that actually helps player safety, adds more roster spots giving Veterans a chance to hang around, and makes mega-bucks for the Owners.

    According to Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal, NFL owners have proposed an 18-game regular season with a caveat that no player would be allowed to compete in more than 16 games.

    The NFLPA has been reluctant to stretch the regular season beyond its current 16-game schedule due to injury concerns, but putting a cap on how many games a player can suit up for would be a fair compromise. Per Beaton, extending the regular season by two games could increase league revenue by $2.5 billion while potentially adding $15 million to each team's salary cap. Choosing when to sit players would also add an interesting layer to coaching decisions. It's unclear how much (if any) traction this idea has, but it's not the worst idea the NFL has ever come up with.

    SOURCE: Wall Street Journal

    What's great about this is that it guarantees all players one more week of not playing in a game, but they should be given a minimum 4 days off away from the team to do anything they want...no rehab, no football study...no football period.

    The NFLPA has all the power here. Certainly, the Owners will look to get rid of the bye-week, will look to retain the stupid pre-season games, where two should be eliminated, but the Owners won't go for that, while it will be mandatory to increase the rosters by at least 4 players. You can't carry 2 long-snappers, 2 Kickers, 2 Punters, while it will be mandatory to carry 3 QB's. Veteran QB's will have pretty good job security. One more O-Lineman will be necessary, while one more D-Lineman will be necessary. One more Receiver and one more Secondary player seems necessary, too. Linebackers do all the tackling, so, one more LB would be prudent. Touches add up, so one more RB/FB/TE would be good to have, too.

    Kickoffs need to be eliminated. I's get rid of the extra-Point. Two-Point conversion opportunities only, while Kickers only can attempt Field Goals. This also eliminates tbe Kickoff Returner.

    This is a great opportunity for the NFLPA to add roster spots and Owners to make more revenue by bringing the game into the 21st Century.

    NFLPA needs to hold out for that mandatory 4-day mid-season vacation, not to be used as one of their two games missed.

    NFLPA needs to hold out on any team playing a game less than 6 full 24-hour periods since their last game. That guarantees the abuse of the Thursday Game doesn't take place.

    I really, really like where this is going. Owner's want 18 games. They can't get it without NFLPA approval. Compromises have to take place here. Keep the talks open and take care of many issues before giving in to the Owners on this. The NFLPA hasn't had this much of an opportunity in a long time. Never, actually.

    The NFLPA should target 6 new Roster Spots
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  6. #350
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,332

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    I still like the idea of 18 weeks, 2 byes with one linked to the week before they play on Thursday night. I think it's stupid that you're going to go with a schedule that makes it like the NBA where stars don't even dress some weeks. People pay full price to see Drew Brees not Taysom Hill or Teddy Bridgewater.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

    William Arthur Ward


  7. #351
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I still like the idea of 18 weeks, 2 byes with one linked to the week before they play on Thursday night. I think it's stupid that you're going to go with a schedule that makes it like the NBA where stars don't even dress some weeks. People pay full price to see Drew Brees not Taysom Hill or Teddy Bridgewater.
    The problem I see with this is someone like Tom Brady. You have players who are so competitive they probably would play an entire 18 game schedule.

    And even then, using Brady as an example, as a Bengals fan, if you had tickets to the Bengals-Patriots game in December and the Bengals are in last place, thereís a good possibility that the Patriots could rest Brady that week. If you paid full price for tickets, sorry about your luck.

    Yeah I could see problems with this. Itís part of the reason the NBA is unwatchable until the playoffs start. I hope football doesnít go down the same road.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  8. #352
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,007

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The NFL finally comes up with a good idea that actually helps player safety, adds more roster spots giving Veterans a chance to hang around, and makes mega-bucks for the Owners.

    According to Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal, NFL owners have proposed an 18-game regular season with a caveat that no player would be allowed to compete in more than 16 games.

    The NFLPA has been reluctant to stretch the regular season beyond its current 16-game schedule due to injury concerns, but putting a cap on how many games a player can suit up for would be a fair compromise. Per Beaton, extending the regular season by two games could increase league revenue by $2.5 billion while potentially adding $15 million to each team's salary cap. Choosing when to sit players would also add an interesting layer to coaching decisions. It's unclear how much (if any) traction this idea has, but it's not the worst idea the NFL has ever come up with.

    SOURCE: Wall Street Journal

    What's great about this is that it guarantees all players one more week of not playing in a game, but they should be given a minimum 4 days off away from the team to do anything they want...no rehab, no football study...no football period.

    The NFLPA has all the power here. Certainly, the Owners will look to get rid of the bye-week, will look to retain the stupid pre-season games, where two should be eliminated, but the Owners won't go for that, while it will be mandatory to increase the rosters by at least 4 players. You can't carry 2 long-snappers, 2 Kickers, 2 Punters, while it will be mandatory to carry 3 QB's. Veteran QB's will have pretty good job security. One more O-Lineman will be necessary, while one more D-Lineman will be necessary. One more Receiver and one more Secondary player seems necessary, too. Linebackers do all the tackling, so, one more LB would be prudent. Touches add up, so one more RB/FB/TE would be good to have, too.

    Kickoffs need to be eliminated. I's get rid of the extra-Point. Two-Point conversion opportunities only, while Kickers only can attempt Field Goals. This also eliminates tbe Kickoff Returner.

    This is a great opportunity for the NFLPA to add roster spots and Owners to make more revenue by bringing the game into the 21st Century.

    NFLPA needs to hold out for that mandatory 4-day mid-season vacation, not to be used as one of their two games missed.

    NFLPA needs to hold out on any team playing a game less than 6 full 24-hour periods since their last game. That guarantees the abuse of the Thursday Game doesn't take place.

    I really, really like where this is going. Owner's want 18 games. They can't get it without NFLPA approval. Compromises have to take place here. Keep the talks open and take care of many issues before giving in to the Owners on this. The NFLPA hasn't had this much of an opportunity in a long time. Never, actually.

    The NFLPA should target 6 new Roster Spots
    That idea will never fly. You're not going to sit star players twice in a season. Not happenin'

  9. Likes:

    Chip R (07-17-2019)

  10. #353
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    39,875

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    An 18 game schedule with players only allowed to play 16 games is going to wreak havoc in the gambling community and for fantasy football. I heard some guys talking about this on a show the other day. They gave the example of a left tackle having to sit out a game. If that happens, the team is probably not going to play their regular QB that game either. Maybe you rested some of your best players one game already and you're into the last week of the season and you're trying to get into the playoffs/win the division/get home field advantage and now you have to sit them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  11. #354
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    An 18 game schedule with players only allowed to play 16 games is going to wreak havoc in the gambling community and for fantasy football. I heard some guys talking about this on a show the other day. They gave the example of a left tackle having to sit out a game. If that happens, the team is probably not going to play their regular QB that game either. Maybe you rested some of your best players one game already and you're into the last week of the season and you're trying to get into the playoffs/win the division/get home field advantage and now you have to sit them.
    The announced time off should include days away from the facilities and the players can be announced on a Monday. That gives the player the time off to actually recuperate mentally away from the team and solves the problem with gambling and FFB.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  12. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (07-24-2019)

  13. #355
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    39,875

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Tyreek Hill will not face any discipline from the allegations of child abuse against him.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rn-chiefs-camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  14. #356
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,332

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    The NFLHQ is run by the dogs from UP!

    NFL: Now Tyreek we really have to do something.. SQUIRREL... What was I saying?

    Tyreek: I don't know...

    NFL: Okay you're free to go!

    It makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

    William Arthur Ward


  15. #357
    Member Senzling Hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    280

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Tyreek Hill will not face any discipline from the allegations of child abuse against him.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rn-chiefs-camp
    What an absolute joke. There are some real monsters in this world who act with no consequences because they have money. This world is really becoming a **** hole when you have people of his character who can do whatever they want. Ridiculous

  16. #358
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

    Saints signed WR Michael Thomas to a five-year, $100 million extension through 2024.

    The deal contains $61 million guaranteed and makes Thomas the league's highest-paid wideout at $20 million per year in new money. He's actually the highest-paid non-quarterback offensive player in NFL history right now, a number that will surely soon be surpassed by whoever is next in line, whether it's Julio Jones or whomever. Through three seasons, Thomas has averaged 107 catches for 1,262 yards and eight touchdowns as the former No. 47 overall pick of the 2016 draft. He turned 26 in March.

    SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  17. #359
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    Pretty good pickup after jettisoning D'ontae Foreman for laziness.

    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

    Texans acquired Duke Johnson from the Browns in exchange for a conditional 2020 fourth-round pick.

    NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the pick can become a third-rounder. The Browns had been adamant they would keep Johnson on the roster at least during Kareem Hunt's suspension, but the running back finally got the trade he has been after for months. In Houston, Johnson will slot in as the No. 2 back behind Lamar Miller. Given Miller's mediocrity to this point in his Texans career, there is a path for Johnson to be even more than that if he shows well. This trade is a boost to Johnson's fantasy value.

    SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  18. #360
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: 2019 NFL Season

    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

    A source told NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay that Trent Williams is "not coming back. Period."

    According to Finlay, Williams is willing to stretch his holdout into the regular season. Williams is reportedly upset about his contract and has lost faith in the front office and medical staff. With Williams seemingly serious about seeing this holdout to the end, Washington could be forced to trade him over the next couple weeks.

    SOURCE: NBC Sports Washington
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator