Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    The miss on Brady had more to do with intangibles than physical abilities. His desire, work ethic and confidence is what made Tom Brady a better NFL quarterback than he showed in college.

Combines aren't good at identifying any of those traits.
    I agree. We base our evaluations on externals for the most part. You're talking about something that originates internally, the "heart" of that person. You can't assign a "measurement" to intangibles, something you can use/grasp to measure/gauge a player projection on. So because it's somewhat of an "unknown" it's discounted and even ignored. But the fact that it's an "unknown" quality doesn't mean it's not important. You just don't know with any certainty.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-26-2019 at 05:51 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

...which is what the interview process and personal background checks (in person, not over the phone or on a computer) are for. This is where the Bengals would always fail as Mike Brown was too cheap to pay the expense of sending a scout to do a personal background check. Heck, he was too cheap to pay for a scout in the first place and had the idiocy to say in public his personal belief about it, that they can get all the information they need from information that's available to everyone. You have to give Duke Tobin a ton of credit being able to convince him slowly to change his thinking about scouting.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ...which is what the interview process and personal background checks (in person, not over the phone or on a computer) are for. This is where the Bengals would always fail as Mike Brown was too cheap to pay the expense of sending a scout to do a personal background check. Heck, he was too cheap to pay for a scout in the first place and had the idiocy to say in public his personal belief about it, that they can get all the information they need from information that's available to everyone. You have to give Duke Tobin a ton of credit being able to convince him slowly to change his thinking about scouting.
    It's apparently a Cincinnati tradition to not respect scouting. Marge Schott: "All scouts do is sit around and watch games."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-28-2019)

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

According to the Denver Post's Mark Kiszla, the "worst kept secret at the Senior Bowl" was that Broncos GM John Elway is "smitten" with Missouri QB Drew Lock.

The Broncos pick at No. 10 overall, behind the also-quarterback-needy Giants (No. 6) and Jaguars (No. 7). Per the Denver Post's Ryan O'Halloran, Elway "barely left the quarterback group" during his three-day stay in Mobile. Lock is highly thought of from an upside standpoint, but he completed under 57 percent of his college throws and struggled against top competition. Incumbent Broncos starter Case Keenum lost a supporter when the team let Gary Kubiak out the door.

Source: Denver Post
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

According to the Denver Post's Mark Kiszla, the "worst kept secret at the Senior Bowl" was that Broncos GM John Elway is "smitten" with Missouri QB Drew Lock.

The Broncos pick at No. 10 overall, behind the also-quarterback-needy Giants (No. 6) and Jaguars (No. 7). Per the Denver Post's Ryan O'Halloran, Elway "barely left the quarterback group" during his three-day stay in Mobile. Lock is highly thought of from an upside standpoint, but he completed under 57 percent of his college throws and struggled against top competition. Incumbent Broncos starter Case Keenum lost a supporter when the team let Gary Kubiak out the door.

Source: Denver Post
    I hope Denver makes a move up to grab him. I don't think (who really knows) he's in Jags plans....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Flacco traded to the Broncos:

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter

Breaking: Baltimore has agreement in principle to trade former Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco to the Broncos, league sources told ESPN.

Trade cannot be processed until new NFL league year begins Wednesday, March 13. Teams prohibited from commenting on deal or terms surrounding it.
    8:08am 13 Feb 2019
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

9. Likes:

Chip R (02-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Flacco traded to the Broncos:

So much for Elway's "love" of Lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    So much for Elway's "love" of Lock.
    I don't think it rules that out. It's a rare QB that can come into the NFL and start right away. Trade for Flacco and draft Lock to sit for a year makes some sense.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-13-2019),Revering4Blue (02-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't think it rules that out. It's a rare QB that can come into the NFL and start right away. Trade for Flacco and draft Lock to sit for a year makes some sense.
    Yes. Elway usually has three guys competing for the job of QB unless there's been an obvious one like Peyton. It's the correct way of doing it. It's what Seattle did when they drafted Wilson, traded a 2nd for Whitehurst and signed a FA from Green Bay.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-13-2019)

Strange move by Elway. Why not just wait till Ravens let him go? Save yourself a draft pick, and could have probably picked him up on a cheaper deal then the 3 year deal he is on. I guess you might have had to fight Washington, depending on what happens with Foles.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Strange move by Elway. Why not just wait till Ravens let him go? Save yourself a draft pick, and could have probably picked him up on a cheaper deal then the 3 year deal he is on. I guess you might have had to fight Washington, depending on what happens with Foles.
    Bird in hand.

Depends on the price tag. My guess is that it'll be minimal. Like a very late pick

Louisiana Tech pass rusher Jaylon Ferguson who is the all time NCAA sacks leader has been banned from the combine.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-rep...232351526.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Depends on the price tag. My guess is that it'll be minimal. Like a very late pick
    I've heard it's a 4th.

I've heard it's a 4th.
    ...and they had two of them. They are keeping the one they got for Demaryius Thomas.

Turn Off Ads?