Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds need $130 Million plus payroll

Re: Reds need $130 Million plus payroll

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    All pitchers are a risk. Corbin had a month or two last season that totaled more production than Homer Bailey did in an entire career.

But if you want to give 70 starts to Disco, Reed and Mahle next season have at it.
    Id rather give starts to Alex Blandino then hand $140 million to Patrick Corbin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Id rather give starts to Alex Blandino then hand $140 million to Patrick Corbin.
    Yea he has a knasty knuckle ball.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

You've been brainwashed by the Reds franchise to accept mediocre baseball teams.

I'm over it.

I think the point that i am trying to convey is being missed.
    I am (was) a season ticket holder who is tired of the the rebuild. For me to purchase another season I expect a MLB product.
    You can say we cannot afford this guy or take a chance on that guy or trade for this guy but they need to put a competitive product on the field year in year out. If they do not they are going to lose fans like myself.

BTW. How many tickets have you purchased over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    You've been brainwashed by the Reds franchise to accept mediocre baseball teams.

I'm over it.
    When the Reds are actually mediocre again then i'll be pissed if they aren't making the proper moves. Right now they aren't even mediocre and they haven't been in years.

What the Reds are or are not doing doesn't change the fact that $140 million on Patrick Corbin is a terrible investment for any team, especially a small market one.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 01-18-2019 at 01:12 PM.

When the Reds are actually mediocre again then i'll be pissed if they aren't making the proper moves. Right now they aren't even mediocre and they haven't been in years.
    So adding Wood, Roark, Puig, and Kemp and getting rid of a guy the team went 1-19 in his starts still doesn't make us mediocre? Sorry but I'm not buying that. The only glaring holes in this team are CF and another good SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I am (was) a season ticket holder who is tired of the the rebuild. For me to purchase another season I expect a MLB product.
    You can say we cannot afford this guy or take a chance on that guy or trade for this guy but they need to put a competitive product on the field year in year out. If they do not they are going to lose fans like myself.

I live nowhere near Cincinnati and therefore I rarely get to attend games. I have no problems with the fan frustration and believe it is very much warranted. However I am strongly against spending money just to say you did. While they do have an obligation to their fans to put a watchable product on the field it has been their attempt to do both that and rebuild at the same time that has been the root of all the problems. They are on the cusp of having a sustainable successful product (the farm system is in tremendous shape) but are continuing to be very cautious with how they're spending the money. I have no problem with this right now but if the team improves and shows it can be a winner and they don't make the necessary acquisitions I will be upset.

Don't get me wrong, they could make big moves that I would be happy with, it's just the ideas getting tossed out there right now have more downside potential than they do upside and this idea that they need to spend a bunch money to prove it to the fan base is getting out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    So adding Wood, Roark, Puig, and Kemp and getting rid of a guy the team went 1-19 in his starts still doesn't make us mediocre? Sorry but I'm not buying that. The only glaring holes in this team are CF and another good SP.
    My definition of mediocre will come from actual baseball game results. Not offseason moves and predictions. While I do expect the team to improve I hope that they don't make any bad moves just to increase payroll and satisfy the fan base. I don't want to see the team end up in the cellar again in 3 years.

The Reds have over 50 million coming off the books after 2019. They can back load a deal this off season, and have plenty of $ to spend in 2020 and beyond. The team has quadrupled in value since the current ownership purchased it. People are tired of the losing, and tired of the excuses. It's put up or shut up time for the current ownership.

That dollar figure that you mentioned in your opening post made my stomach turn, but I was hoping we weren't going to end up at this point.

12. Likes:

westofyou (01-18-2019)

I live nowhere near Cincinnati and therefore I rarely get to attend games. I have no problems with the fan frustration and believe it is very much warranted. However I am strongly against spending money just to say you did. While they do have an obligation to their fans to put a watchable product on the field it has been their attempt to do both that and rebuild at the same time that has been the root of all the problems. They are on the cusp of having a sustainable successful product (the farm system is in tremendous shape) but are continuing to be very cautious with how they're spending the money. I have no problem with this right now but if the team improves and shows it can be a winner and they don't make the necessary acquisitions I will be upset.

Don't get me wrong, they could make big moves that I would be happy with, it's just the ideas getting tossed out there right now have more downside potential than they do upside and this idea that they need to spend a bunch money to prove it to the fan base is getting out of hand.
    Just want the Reds to invest a fair % on this team not their personal bank accounts. I think 130 million payroll is too low. It should at least be 150 mil or more. You cannot tell me going into this year with an AJ Pollack would be more exciting than without an AJ Pollack but knowing were building for 2021. I want to be competitive every year not wait 10-15 years to be good for 2-3 years. There are too many other entertainment options for my dollar. FC Cincinnati anyone?

Just want the Reds to invest a fair % on this team not their personal bank accounts. I think 130 million payroll is too low. It should at least be 150 mil or more. You cannot tell me going into this year with an AJ Pollack would be more exciting than without an AJ Pollack but knowing were building for 2021. I want to be competitive every year not wait 10-15 years to be good for 2-3 years. There are too many other entertainment options for my dollar. FC Cincinnati anyone?
    I’m a big Pollock fan and I would actually be a fan of that move as long as the contract is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: All of us and the Reds should consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    As much as we all want to believe Cincinnati is a great baseball town, it doesn't come close in comparison to St Louis. The Cardinals draw 3+mil fans ever year and have done so for 20yrs. The Reds have never come close to that number in a single season. Not during the BRM, not in 1990 during a wire to wire year.
    Can't be as bad as the Reds have been and expect people to spend money to watch them.

5 straight losing seasons (2014-2018)
    3 winning seasons in the last 10 years (2009-2018)
    5 winning seasons in the last 20 years (1999-2018)
    9 winning seasons in the last 30 years (1989-2018)

Cardinals on the other hand:
    11 straight winning seasons (2008-2018)
    10 winning seasons in the last 10 years (2009-2018)
    18 winning seasons in the last 20 years (1999-2018)
    24 winning seasons in the last 30 years (1989-2018)

The Cardinals have more winning seasons in the last 10 years than the Reds have in the last 30 years.

Turn Off Ads?