• Lyon Richardson

3 8.33%
  • Rylan Thomas

3 8.33%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Who is the Reds #17 Prospect?

Who is the Reds #17 Prospect?

Keury Mella nailed down the #16 slot. I've added Micheal Byrne and Michael Beltre

Michael Beltre (23) - OF from Dominican Republic. Split time between Dayton and Daytona. .853 OPS in Dayton, .752 in Daytona.
    Michael Byre (21) - Closer from Univ Florida - 14th Round 2018 pick. Started in Daytona and 1.25 ERA in 20 innings.
    Hendrik Clementina (21) C from Curacao. After huge start, settled in with .268 avg and .824 OPS in Dayton.
    Jacob Heatherly (20) - LHP from Cullman, AL. 3rd Round draft in 2017. 5.82 ERA in Greeneville.
    Jimmy Herget (25) - RHP from Tampa, FL. Drafted in 6th round of 2015 draft. 3.47 ERA in AAA. Added to 40 man roster.
    Joel Kuhnel (23) - RHP from UT Arlington. 11th round pick in 2016. 3.04 ERA in Daytona out of bullpen.
    Ibandel Isabel - (23) 1b from Dominican Republic. Blasted 36 homers with .900 OPS in Daytona. Had 28 previous year. Acquired via Ariel Hernandez trade.
    James Marinan - (20) - RHP from Lake Worth FL. 3.98 ERA in Billings. 4th Rnd pick by Dodgers in 2017, acquired in Dylan Floro trade.
    Scott Moss (24) - 3.68 ERA and 15-4 record in High A - Drafted 4th round of 2016 draft.
    Packy Naughton (22) - LHP from Va Tech. 9th Round pick in 2017. 4.03 ERA in Dayton.
    Lyon Richardson (19) - RHP from Jensen Beach, FL. Drafted 2nd round of 2018 draft. 7.14 ERA in Greeneville.
    Rylan Thomas (21) .892 OPS at Greeneville. 26th Round Draft Choice out of UCF in 2018
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is the Reds #17 Prospect?

klw you caught me editing. If you're vote was not for Naughton let me know.

Marinan for me. They are all suspects from here. Big drop off after Mella left the list IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Agreed. The fields is wide open at this point.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If Beltre could go all launch angle-heavy, he'd be a really nice prospect.

Clementina needs to drop some weight. (That, IMO, is why he struggled in the second half of the season). Still, he's a catcher who hits.

Clementina for me.

Herget again. I see him as a young Steve Cishek, which ain’t great, but ain’t bad either.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I understand the skepticism regarding Isabel. He whiffs too much and would likely be overmatched by skilled major-league pitchers. Fair enough. But the man did just break the Florida State League home run record. And it's prospect number 17.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I understand the skepticism regarding Isabel. He whiffs too much and would likely be overmatched by skilled major-league pitchers. Fair enough. But the man did just break the Florida State League home run record. And it's prospect number 17.
    I have hope for Isabel and almost voted for him. I like him better than some guys already elected. The guy that comes to mind for me is Bye Bye Balboni. Played in the big leagues 11 seasons and accumulated less than 3 WAR. Chris Carter is a more recent example. That's probably the best case though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The player that comes to mind for me when considering Isabel is Joey Gallo. Gallo was in High-A at the age of 20. His line: .323/.463/.735/1.198. BB% - 20.7%. K% - 26.0%. After 1,000 ABs in the majors? .203/.317/.498/.815. BB% -13.4%. K% - 38.0%.

Ibandel Isabel was in High-A at the age of 23. His line: .257/.332/.562/.894. BB% - 8.6%. K% - 36.4%

if Isabel's numbers followed Gallo's arc, it would get ugly quickly. But prospects represent nothing if not hope.

11. Likes:

mace (01-20-2019)

Could be worse. Jerry Gallo is dead.

I'm going Heatherly here on a hunch that he busts out a bit.
    He threw less than 40 innings in Greenville last year, and I'm hoping that's because they wanted to keep him in instructionals to refine his 4 pitch mix, that reportedly contains three plus offerings.
    He's a 6'2" lefty that the Reds overpaid for his slot.
    He also struck out 11.4/9 last year, do he has something to build on in his SSS.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?