Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What odds do you give Kemp of wearing a Reds uni?

What odds do you give Kemp of wearing a Reds uni?

Just curious what y’all think....I can’t imagine he’s part of of the plan but then again I don’t see where he’d go

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What odds do you give Kemp of wearing a Reds uni?

Haven't heard a peep out of him since the trade. Puig, Wood and even Farmer have made the standard "happy to be here" comments.

It's curious, if nothing else.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-19-2019),GADawg (01-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Just curious what y’all think....I can’t imagine he’s part of of the plan but then again I don’t see where he’d go
    My guess. There is a 95% chance the Reds are trying to dump him before the start of the season. And a 30% chance that they are successful. With his big salary, age, and poor defense he's not going to be easy to move. Would have to be a minor part of a bigger trade. Just like the Dodgers dumped him on us - if you want Wood and Puig you have to take Kemp.

6. Likes:

GADawg (01-18-2019),Kilgore_Trout (01-18-2019),RedsManRick (01-19-2019)

I think he keeps getting traded, with each trading team continuing to pick up a portion of his salary. Eventually, a team will get him for about a buck fifty.

8. Likes:

757690 (01-25-2019),CanadianRedsFan (01-19-2019),Chainsaw (01-19-2019),Crosley58 (01-23-2019),dfs (01-19-2019),jwbennett1977 (01-30-2019),OhioRiverBarge (01-19-2019),RedlegJ (01-24-2019),redsmetz (01-18-2019),UKWhoDey (01-26-2019)

i think it's pretty near certain he'll be in a Reds uniform. I just don't see anyone else taking on much of that salary.

10. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-18-2019)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I trot him out there every day. Hopefully he puts up some numbers. Now, I would have to assume the Reds are ready to flip him.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

99.9%. I don't know how they work Winker and Kemp into LF, but Kemp has had a good career, was an All-Star last year, and is still only 34.

If the Reds add another decent starter...say Gray...and things break right, Kemp could be a critical piece on a decent team.
    Last edited by malcontent; 01-19-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

13. Likes:

pedro (02-02-2019)

I’d say it’s 50/50. If the Reds sign a CF, they’ll probably find a way to dump as much of his salary as they can. Or if they can find a team willing to eat a reasonable amount of his salary and give back a C prospect, he’ll probably go in that scenario as well.

I think the Reds can only deal Kemp the same way the Dodgers did. Use him as contract ballast in a deal where the Reds take on Salary to address another need. The trick is for it to end up a better situation than just DFAing Kemp. Kemp in a Greinke deal would work. A deal for Alex Cobb works as well IMO, but it would probably mean the Reds giving up something useful as well (maybe Schebler and one of the young arms like Reed, Sims or Mella or possibly Disco). Maybe for Ellsbury if the Yankees kick in money towards Ellsbury's 2020 salary. There are probably a couple of other deals like that out there, but that will need to be how it works IMO.

Some ideas.

Kemp, Schebler and Mella for Zach Grienke. I doubt the D-Backs toss in any salary unless the Reds add a significant young player like Trammell, India or Greene. Probably too rich for the Reds.

Kemp, Disco and Mella for Alex Cobb. I think this may be an overpay for Cobb, but I wouldn't hate it. The O's move on from Cobb's final two years and sub the cheaper Disco for him. They get Mella for taking Kemp and making the first year a wash money-wise. I'd be fine with that deal. Cobb for the next three years at $14 Million each seems a little pricey, but reasonable to me. Especially if this year is offset by dumping Kemp. The Reds would be getting an oft injured pitcher who has successfully come back in exchange for a cheaper oft injured pitcher that hasn't ever really shown he's come back. If the Reds could get the O's to toss in say $3 or $4 Mill per year for 2020 and 2021 in this deal (maybe by adding Shed Long or something) it becomes a solid move IMO.

Kemp for Ellsbury and Gray with the Reds keeping the money that came with Kemp and the Yankees paying all but $5 Million of Ellsbury's post 2019 salary and buy-out. I'm less thrilled with this one. I don't think the REds really need Gray and Ellsbury but If the money was the same, I'd prefer the CF capable Ellsbury to Kemp.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

goreds2 (01-19-2019)

While I think its time for him to end up in the AL as a DH he could still be extremely valuable to the Reds. He's also heading into a contract year at age 34. I'm sure he'll want to showcase his talents for one last decent contract and if he can go out and OPS 800+ an AL team will almost certainly hand him a deal.

18. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-19-2019)

Every time I hear his name, I just think, Homer Bailey. and I'm suddenly happy again. Hey, I wonder if his jerseys are out yet?

20. Likes:

JustaFan (01-24-2019),jwbennett1977 (01-30-2019),malcontent (01-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    Every time I hear his name, I just think, Homer Bailey. and I'm suddenly happy again. Hey, I wonder if his jerseys are out yet?
    You are in luck. Get it while you can. https://www.mlbshop.com/Mens_Majesti...yABEgJVBPD_BwE

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by madeirawood View Post
    My guess. There is a 95% chance the Reds are trying to dump him before the start of the season. And a 30% chance that they are successful. With his big salary, age, and poor defense he's not going to be easy to move. Would have to be a minor part of a bigger trade. Just like the Dodgers dumped him on us - if you want Wood and Puig you have to take Kemp.
    The Dodgers dumped Kemp on us because they took Homer.

23. Likes:

GAC (01-31-2019)

They could run with an OF of Winker, Puig, and Kemp. It would mean horrendous defense which would cripple the pitching, but they would launch plenty of pretty home runs to put some butts in the seats. Fans don't care about wins. They only want to see the fireworks. That is Reds history in a nutshell.

I think he has a 50/50 chance. I believe he will be sent to an AL team where at this point in his career he belongs. Would like for him to stay. I always liked the idea of Votto and Kemp in the lineup together.
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-19-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: edit misspell.

Turn Off Ads?