Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How strong will rotation be in AAA this year?

How strong will rotation be in AAA this year?

Let's say Cincy rotation is Gray, Roark, Wood, Castillo and Disco.

You could be looking at a AAA rotation of

1) Mahle
    2) Reed
    3) Sims
    4) Romano
    5) Mella
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How strong will rotation be in AAA this year?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

1) Mahle
    2) Reed
    3) Sims
    4) Romano
    5) Mella
    I suspect at least two of those will be relievers in Cincinnati.

Especially with Gutierrez and Santillan nearly ready as well.

I like this bullpen someone posted

1) Iglesias
    2) Hernandez
    3) Hughes
    4) Lorenzen
    5) Wisler-long man
    6) Garrett
    7) Reed

That only has one guy from my list (Reed). Sign another bullpen arm (especially a lefty) and Reed's in AAA rotation. Where I'd like to see him. Santillan and Gutierrez still in AA for some more seasoning.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I suspect at least two of those will be relievers in Cincinnati.

Especially with Gutierrez and Santillan nearly ready as well.
    I'd say Reed is probably a reliever now. I'd rather he keep starting and the Reds acquire a real late inning lefty. Santillan def starts in AA. I wonder if they make Mella a reliever.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

1) Mahle
    2) Reed
    3) Sims
    4) Romano
    5) Mella
    &

Felix Jorge
    Clayon Blackburn
    Jose Lopez
    Robert Stephenson
    Vladimir Gutierrez
    Jon Moscot
    Nick Travieso
    Seth Varner
    etc.

Plenty of people to eat innings.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-29-2019)

Not Robert Stephenson. He will be in Cincy or somewhere else because he is out of options. I just cannot see the Reds giving up on him unless he comes to camp just pitching awful. I think the new coaching staff will be given a chance to work with him before another staff for another team does.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I'd say Stephenson's chances of being on the Reds come opening day are closer to 0% than 100%.

10. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Not Robert Stephenson. He will be in Cincy or somewhere else because he is out of options. I just cannot see the Reds giving up on him unless he comes to camp just pitching awful. I think the new coaching staff will be given a chance to work with him before another staff for another team does.
    I'm betting if he's not part of a deal for <insert game changing player here> that the Reds may try and sneak him through waivers. The smart move is to put him in the pen and and see if he's got the mental stuff to handle that.
    There is nothing you keep there is only your reflection.

"There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Best competition I've seen at the AAA level in 40 years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

What is Wisler's situation on options?

My philosophy would be to move on from some of these guys if still not ready; and if they are ready, to keep them in the bigs if possible. Move things along.

Not sure of the purpose of Sal Romano in the minor leagues. He’s 25, has over 230 MLB innings. If he can’t make the Reds even as a long reliever, I’d try to trade him.

Obviously same with Stephenson, out of options. Cody Reed should be in the majors, it serves no purpose to send him down still again.

I could see a bit more time at AAA for Mahle, he’s a little younger and somebody has to be the first call up if an injury. Mella seems like a true AAA man for this year.

Generally, I’m not in favor of treating every pitching prospect like fine wine in the cellar. At some point, either call them up or move them.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-30-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Ł
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My philosophy would be to move on from some of these guys if still not ready; and if they are ready, to keep them in the bigs if possible. Move things along.

Not sure of the purpose of Sal Romano in the minor leagues. He’s 25, has over 230 MLB innings. If he can’t make the Reds even as a long reliever, I’d try to trade him. We have a lot of fine wine that has turned to vinegar and needs to be thrown out. The only reason it isn't is because a full cellar looks good.

Obviously same with Stephenson, out of options. Cody Reed should be in the majors, it serves no purpose to send him down still again.

I could see a bit more time at AAA for Mahle, he’s a little younger and somebody has to be the first call up if an injury. Mella seems like a true AAA man for this year.

Generally, I’m not in favor of treating every pitching prospect like fine wine in the cellar. At some point, either call them up or move them.

So, let's look at the depth chart.

Rotation - ESPN
    Alex Wood
    Tanner Roark
    Luis Castillo
    Tyler Mahle
    Anthony DeSclafani

Bullpen - Reds.com
    A. DeSclafani
    L. Castillo
    T. Roark
    S. Gray
    A. Wood
    T. Mahle
    C. Reed
    S. Romano

Bullpen - ESPN
    Iglesias
    Michael Lorenzen
    Amir Garrett
    Jared Hughes
    David Hernandez
    Wandy Peralta

Bullpen - Reds.com
    R. Iglesias (CL)
    J. Hughes
    A. Garrett
    D. Hernandez
    M. Lorenzen
    J. Stephens
    W. Peralta
    M. Wisler
    L. Sims
    K. Mella
    J. Reyes

No mention of Stephenson or Reed as a bullpen candidate, and Reed is way down on the SP chart. I'm going with ESPN's 6 relievers at this point with Peralta on the bubble. Generally the Reds use a 12 man pitching staff I think. So two spots are up for grabs. Who starts in AAA? Mahle, Mella, Sims, maybe Gutierrez. I think Reed is in the rotation at AAA or dealt. Romano needs to adjust to life in the pen. Same with Stephenson, who could be a force there. Wisler is also an option
    There is nothing you keep there is only your reflection.

"There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What is Wisler's situation on options?
    Pretty sure he is out of options. Stephenson and Wisler may be reasons why Reds are slow to pick up middle innings relievers. They may want to look at these two first before exposing them to other teams. I believe they have plenty of arms capable of covering the middle innings.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I'd say Stephenson's chances of being on the Reds come opening day are closer to 0% than 100%.
    If he is actually taking to his coaching (which was rumored to be an issue in the minors), I would hope the Reds give him a shot in the bullpen over signing a journeyman who doesn't have much upside.

19. Likes:

HokieRed (01-31-2019)

Turn Off Ads?