• Rylan Thomas

6 13.33%
  • Josh Van Meter

2 4.44%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Who is Reds #22 Prospect

Who is Reds #22 Prospect

Hendrik Clementina becomes the darling of Reds fans and is our #21 prospect.

Michael Beltre (23) - OF from Dominican Republic. Split time between Dayton and Daytona. .853 OPS in Dayton, .752 in Daytona.
    Michael Byrne (21) - Closer from Univ Florida - 14th Round 2018 pick. Started in Daytona and 1.25 ERA in 20 innings.
    Fidel Castro (20) RF from Havana, Cuba. Oops. Dominican Republic. Posts .921 OPS in Az Rookie league as 19 year old.
    Jacob Heatherly (20) - LHP from Cullman, AL. 3rd Round draft in 2017. 5.82 ERA in Greeneville.
    Ryan Hendrix (24) RHP from Texas A&M. Drafted in 5th Round of 2016 Draft. 1.76 ERA in High A last year
    Connor Joe (26) - INF from San Diego. Claimed off waivers from Dodgers. .935 OPS across 2 levels in 2018.
    Joel Kuhnel (23) - RHP from UT Arlington. 11th round pick in 2016. 3.04 ERA in Daytona out of bullpen.
    Jose Lopez (26) - RHP from Seton Hall University, New Jersey. Drafted in 6th round of 2014 draft. 4.47 ERA in AAA
    James Marinan - (20) - RHP from Lake Worth FL. 3.98 ERA in Billings. 4th Rnd pick by Dodgers in 2017, acquired in Dylan Floro trade.
    Packy Naughton (22) - LHP from Va Tech. 9th Round pick in 2017. 4.03 ERA in Dayton.
    Reiver Sanmartin (23) - LHP from Columbia. 2.81 ERA across several levels in 2018. Acquired from Yankees in Sonny Gray trade.
    Rylan Thomas (21) .892 OPS at Greeneville. 26th Round Draft Choice out of UCF in 2018
    Josh Van Meter (23) .841 OPS in AA and in second half had .356/.568/.924 in AAA. Acquired in trade with Padres for Rule 5 player.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Reds #22 Prospect

Jose Lopez, set for a return to prospect status. I liked him in the past, and I'm not ready to give up on him yet.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2019),mace (01-30-2019)

Marinan only turned 20 in the fall and didn't embarrass himself in a tough Pioneer League environment. Big guy, good velocity, "clean arm" as Fangraphs describes it. I'll go with him.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

6. Likes:

Mitri (01-30-2019),mth123 (01-30-2019)

Been voting for Marinan, but I think some guy named Joe gets my vote here. .900+ OPS in AA and AAA in 2018 would have us calling for the Reds to open a position for him if he came up through the Reds system. He's on the 40 man roster and probably opens on the 25 man. Most of these guys will never reach the big leagues.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Most of these guys will never reach the big leagues.
    Nah.

Lots of the lower level guys might not pan out, but almost all the pitchers will at least get a cup of coffee as a relief arm and many of the bats who do well early also receive some time. Catchers are also good bets, especially defense-first guys who can hit their weight.

The first year MLB did a top 30 was 2015. Seven Reds between 21 and 30 have already gotten at least some time at the major league level. (That doesn't include at least a couple-- Gavin LaValley and Wyatt Strahan-- that could eventually make it.)

Sickels did a top 20, but had 15 others listed at the bottom in 2014. Of those, nine made it.

In 2010, eight made it (out of 17).

In 2005, 11 of 20 prospects rated between 21 and 40 made it, including a couple full-time starters.

Looking at past prospects who earn at least some time, Byrne, Hendrix, and Kuhnel are all hard-throwing successful minor league relievers. Almost all of those (barring injury) make it to the show-- though most are fungible arms at best. For smaller market teams, they're even more likely to at least make an appearance.

Sanmartin is a southpaw. If nothing else, he'll take up a spot as a LOOGY somewhere.

Lopez has enough stuff to be converted to long relief and is already in AAA. He's also on the 40-man roster already, the biggest hurdle for any of them.

The others are obviously less certain.

Naughton is a long way away, but another lefty. That is a decided advantage.

Heatherly and Marinan are also a long way away and bigger longshots. What helps each is pedigree and scouting reports. Both are in the Reds' 30 top prospect list and still have some time to climb.

After perusing the list, I feel better about the chance of Michael Beltre making it too. Toolsy OF with speed are advantageous. (Though he may well be blocked at the MLB level by some combination of those ahead of him both on the ladder and in the pecking order.)

Probably not a popular pick, but I'm voting VanMeter until he's off the board.

I think he's the heir apparent to Blandino, a guy that can hit and has some versatility. You keep them on your roster as the 24th or 25th man and let them prove themselves. If they don't, you move on, and find solace in knowing you filled the back end of the roster with someone with some potential (as opposed to a washed-up vet).

Last season, VanMeter posted a 138 RC+ in Pensacola (in 121 PA) and a 114 RC+ in Louisville (in 362 PA). His peripherals have been all over the map, but he's shown that he can take a walk and that he has some pop (his ISO in Louisville was .211).

Defensively, he's a utilty guy that won't embarrass himself anywhere. He's got a career .967 fielding percentage. Across AA and AAA in 2018, he played ~455 innings at 2B, ~300 innings in LF, ~90 innings at 3B, 75 innings at SS and another 15 innings in RF. The stats suggest he's fairly sure-handed. His minor league career at SS has resulted in a .953 fielding percentage in a good number of innings/chances (810/422).

He's entering his 24-year-old season and will be a key cog in in the Bats lineup. If he hits this year, he's a roster possibility going forward. If he doesn't, he probably enters the next phase of his career as a journeyman AAAA player. To my mind, a VanMeter (who has some pedigree himself as a fifth-round pick out of high school) has more value than these lottery tickets who strung together 150 good AB in Greeneville or Billings. He hit last year, and if he continues to do so, or even takes a step forward, you've got yourself a big league contributor. I'll take that for the 22nd prospect in the organization.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (01-30-2019),mace (01-30-2019),WrongVerb (01-30-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I really think that Michael Beltre could be a big beneficiary of the launch-angle revolution. He has a great eye and physical tools. If he sustains elevation of the ball, I could really see him jumping up this prospect list.

12. Likes:

M2 (01-30-2019),Rojo Rijo (01-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Probably not a popular pick, but I'm voting VanMeter until he's off the board.

I think he's the heir apparent to Blandino, a guy that can hit and has some versatility. You keep them on your roster as the 24th or 25th man and let them prove themselves. If they don't, you move on, and find solace in knowing you filled the back end of the roster with someone with some potential (as opposed to a washed-up vet).
    Blandino can play a big league SS in a pinch, VanMeter can not.

Turn Off Ads?