7 17.95%
  • Josh Van Meter

2 5.13%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Reds #23 Prospect?

Who is Reds #23 Prospect?

Jose Lopez was named out #22 prospect. Andy Sugillo and Debby Santana added. Open for suggestions

Michael Beltre (23) - OF from Dominican Republic. Split time between Dayton and Daytona. .853 OPS in Dayton, .752 in Daytona.
    Michael Byrne (21) - Closer from Univ Florida - 14th Round 2018 pick. Started in Daytona and 1.25 ERA in 20 innings.
    Fidel Castro (20) RF from Havana, Cuba. Oops. Dominican Republic. Posts .921 OPS in Az Rookie league as 19 year old.
    Jacob Heatherly (20) - LHP from Cullman, AL. 3rd Round draft in 2017. 5.82 ERA in Greeneville.
    Ryan Hendrix (24) RHP from Texas A&M. Drafted in 5th Round of 2016 Draft. 1.76 ERA in High A last year
    Connor Joe (26) - INF from San Diego. Claimed off waivers from Dodgers. .935 OPS across 2 levels in 2018.
    Joel Kuhnel (23) - RHP from UT Arlington. 11th round pick in 2016. 3.04 ERA in Daytona out of bullpen.
    James Marinan - (20) - RHP from Lake Worth FL. 3.98 ERA in Billings. 4th Rnd pick by Dodgers in 2017, acquired in Dylan Floro trade.
    Packy Naughton (22) - LHP from Va Tech. 9th Round pick in 2017. 4.03 ERA in Dayton.
    Reiver Sanmartin (23) - LHP from Columbia. 2.81 ERA across several levels in 2018. Acquired from Yankees in Sonny Gray trade.
    Debby Santana (18) 3B from Dominican Republic. Hit .250 with .721 OPS in Az as 17 year old. Signed as Intl Free Agent in Aug 2016.
    Andy Sugillo (22) - OF hit .345 with .862 OPS and 20 SB in 2017. .297 and .730 OPS in 2nd half in 2018. Signed as International Free Agent in Oct 2013. Bonus $125K.
    Rylan Thomas (21) .892 OPS at Greeneville. 26th Round Draft Choice out of UCF in 2018
    Josh Van Meter (23) .841 OPS in AA and in second half had .356/.568/.924 in AAA. Acquired in trade with Padres for Rule 5 player.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Reds #23 Prospect?

Went with Comrade Castro, but it's a crapshoot, and Conner Joe is interesting. Wasn't he mentioned in a Replacements song?
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

4. Likes:

TRF (02-04-2019)

Thomas has the best shot of any 1Bman in the Reds farm to actually be able to replace Votto some day IMHO (I don't buy Ibandel). The Reds gave the UCF sophmore 6th round money to leave his D1 scholarship early and convert from 3rd to 1st. Perfect Game had ranked him the 200th best prospect in the country coming out of highschool 2 years ago.

He'll likely be starting this year in Dayton as a 22 year old.

Naughton and it's not even close. He should have been off the board a while ago

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Naughton and it's not even close. He should have been off the board a while ago
    Based on what? He's ok, but he gave up more hits than innings pitched and struck out less batters than innings pitched. I can see saying he's your guy....but not even close?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Whoops! I voted for Heatherly because I thought Marinan was already off the board...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

Not sure I get the votes for dudes that put up okay numbers in Rookie ball. Thomas, as a college bat, hit .253 in Greeneville (mind you with some nice power and patience). Marinan posted a 4 ERA and a 1.58 WHIP.

I get that older, closer-to-the-bigs prospects don't excite much and there's much less to dream on, but I think it's a pretty fair bet to consider whether either Thomas or Marinan ever make it to AAA, much less put up respectable numbers. I know this is the age-old prospect debate, but I don't really care what players do in Rookie ball, doubly so if they don't come in with much pedigree. At least, give me some numbers in full-season ball to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Based on what? He's ok, but he gave up more hits than innings pitched and struck out less batters than innings pitched. I can see saying he's your guy....but not even close?
    Agree. Given their ages, I think you can argue Jared Solomon, who's not even on the board yet [and who might be a candidate for inclusion soon], is at least as good a prospect as Naughton. Solomon's 2018 at Billings was more impressive than Naughton's 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Not sure I get the votes for dudes that put up okay numbers in Rookie ball. Thomas, as a college bat, hit .253 in Greeneville (mind you with some nice power and patience). Marinan posted a 4 ERA and a 1.58 WHIP.

I get that older, closer-to-the-bigs prospects don't excite much and there's much less to dream on, but I think it's a pretty fair bet to consider whether either Thomas or Marinan ever make it to AAA, much less put up respectable numbers. I know this is the age-old prospect debate, but I don't really care what players do in Rookie ball, doubly so if they don't come in with much pedigree. At least, give me some numbers in full-season ball to think about.
    I voted for Marinan so I will defend that choice. IMO he has the highest upside along with Heatherly of just about anyone left. He is a big dude with good stuff and he held his own in Billings at 19 years old which is a notorious hitters paradise. He was a fourth round choice by the Dodgers but was given double the slot to sign so I would say he's no slouch. He was a good get for the reds and I'm very intrigued to see how he will do in Dayton this season. Sure it was only rookie ball but like I said he was young for the league and showed pretty solid peripherals.

12. Likes:

BillDoran (02-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

Thomas had a .900 OPS and hit .275 after his first week in Greenville, those are more than respectable numbers for a 21 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Thomas had a .900 OPS and hit .275 after his first week in Greenville, those are more than respectable numbers for a 21 year old.
    But why Thomas and not, say, Michael Byrne? Both got good sized signing bonuses. While Byrne didn't blow anybody away, he posted a 1.25 ERA in A+. I'm generally discounting any Rookie ball stats, but at least give me some pedigree or some reason to buy into the hype. I need some kind of substance, whether it be scouting reports or some notable production.

Thomas, who was nearly a year old for the league, put up decent numbers. He has limited physical projection (5'11", 235 lbs) and is 1B-only (he was a butcher at 3B). With his profile, he'll have to absolutely mash, or he'll be in independent ball in a few years.

If you're completely ignoring RK ball then what is there to show you for production?

Seriously?

And I'm probably voting Hendrix before Byrne, more upside.

I'm hoping the Reds really challenge Castro this year. They may have uncovered a real gem.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    If you're completely ignoring RK ball then what is there to show you for production?

Seriously?
    Of course, you look at them, but with a big ole grain of salt. They count but not for much. Nobody cared about Senzel's dismal 41 PA in Billings. Yet, we're ready to jump on the bandwagon of a late round pick, because he took some walks and mashed a few taters against fresh out of high school pitchers.

Earlier in the minors, pedigree matters more than production. As a player progresses, production matters more and more. A 26th-round 1B hitting fairly well in Greeneville does next to nothing for me.

I just don't think rookie level stats tell us a whole heck of a lot one way or another.

Turn Off Ads?