Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-19, Part 3..."They have a Cave Troll!"

Re: NBA 2018-19, Part 3..."They have a Cave Troll!"

Dallas continues it's organic tank...they currently are in the top 6 with a 37% chance to jump into the top 4. Important news for the Mavs as there pick is top 5 protected.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Dallas continues it's organic tank...they currently are in the top 6 with a 37% chance to jump into the top 4. Important news for the Mavs as there pick is top 5 protected.
    How much did Cuban get fined when he openly admitted to tanking in his only Mark Cuban matter-of-fact kind of way?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Big win for the Pacers. Meanwhile, I think the Kings are done.
    Kings will have to win all but two, maybe three, the rest of the way.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

None of that has anything to do with being fast. You either are or you aren't. The two-mile is a distance race (not a race for guys with top-end speed), and boot camp isn't where you're going to find elite distance runners.

And Jerry West and Michael Jordan each had the good fortune of not being a foot shorter. Also, MJ had outrageous physical skills.
    There were multiple State Champion track athletes and Champion athletes from many other sports, including a medium distance runner from Florida. Elite athlets were well represented, but running in boots and full clothing after other events without a break is not the same as track shoes in shorts and a tank-top with rest beforehand. The two-mile was just a third of the testing.

West didn't make his HS Freshman team. I believe MJ did, but didn't start. They didn't come close to reaching their final height before their hard work and determination had already paid off into starting jobs in HS. Furthermore, ask any elite athlete and he will tell you that hard work got them to where they are.

One of the points I was making was that I started in the middle, and within 8 weeks, I was at the top....of 660 males, mostly 18-19 years old, all military personnel who are above average physically to begin with. Fat boys don't go to war.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.

No Allen Crabbe this weekend (knee drained)...addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    There were multiple State Champion track athletes and Champion athletes from many other sports, including a medium distance runner from Florida. Elite athlets were well represented, but running in boots and full clothing after other events without a break is not the same as track shoes in shorts and a tank-top with rest beforehand. The two-mile was just a third of the testing.

West didn't make his HS Freshman team. I believe MJ did, but didn't start. They didn't come close to reaching their final height before their hard work and determination had already paid off into starting jobs in HS. Furthermore, ask any elite athlete and he will tell you that hard work got them to where they are.

One of the points I was making was that I started in the middle, and within 8 weeks, I was at the top....of 660 males, mostly 18-19 years old, all military personnel who are above average physically to begin with. Fat boys don't go to war.
    You haven't seen enough of the modern military, but I digress.

West was the captain of his freshman team. MJ and West both grew in their HS years, a lot. If they hadn't, we're not talking about them in the NBA. Dr. J grew in college. BTW, one of basketball's great what ifs is what if Dr. J went to the NBA and joined the World Champion Milwaukee Bucks, who drafted him?
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

So you put on 10 pounds of muscle mass and cut about 5 minutes (-1 from the first to the second run and -1 from the second to the third run while also losing @3 minutes walking) from your two-mile run time in 8 weeks. Human physiology doesn't work like that.

That's a comic book-level whopper of a story. At what point did the military give you your vibranium shield and send you out with Bucky?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    So you put on 10 pounds of muscle mass and cut about 5 minutes (-1 from the first to the second run and -1 from the second to the third run while also losing @3 minutes walking) from your two-mile run time in 8 weeks. Human physiology doesn't work like that.

That's a comic book-level whopper of a story. At what point did the military give you your vibranium shield and send you out with Bucky?
    Again, you seem to assume because you can't understand it, then it must not be true. Did not know that you knew all things humanly possible. Must be a burden for you.

Most people would find that going from 155 to 165 (while adding more than 10 pounds of muscle...tissue is not just muscle or fat) while going from 14:12 to 13:10 to 12:10 is easily doable if one has the desire strong enough to improve. The 12:10 would have been 11:10-11:40 had I not walked those two sections. That's 2-1/2 to 3 minutes, not 5. Your math is bad. If you had excelled at anything, you would understand how willpower works.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2019 at 12:02 AM.

You haven't seen enough of the modern military, but I digress.

West was the captain of his freshman team. MJ and West both grew in their HS years, a lot. If they hadn't, we're not talking about them in the NBA. Dr. J grew in college. BTW, one of basketball's great what ifs is what if Dr. J went to the NBA and joined the World Champion Milwaukee Bucks, who drafted him?
    This backs up 100% what I said about Jerry West was Jerry West because of his mental toughness and his work ethic and not his physical gifts from God:

https://www.nba.com/history/legends/profiles/jerry-west
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2019 at 12:03 AM.

This backs up 100% what I said about Jerry West was Jerry West because of his mental toughness and his work ethic and not his physical gifts from God:

https://www.nba.com/history/legends/profiles/jerry-west
    Not so much. Had Jerry West remained 5'6" he would not be the NBA logo.

And your humans can do anything story involves covering two miles in a middling time for a HS girl.

Not so much. Had Jerry West remained 5'6" he would not be the NBA logo.
    No doubt.

I always wanted to be his height, 6'4". Did not make it. Only got to 5'10-7/8th's.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2019 at 01:36 AM.

And your humans can do anything story involves covering two miles in a middling time for a HS girl.
    You know I was waiting for that.

There were several state champions who had two-mile times in the 10+, but they couldn't crack 12:00 under these conditions. Only one did and I was even with him through one mile and I knew I could outkick him if I stayed within 60 yards. You obviously never went through those conditions I stated yourself in Basic Training or you wouldn't have said that. To begin the two-mile already exhausted for most of them (while I was fresh) was a lot of the difference, and, of course, the boots and full clothing, and in the Sun. You also didn't get to spend any spare time training by running, as there was no spare time. When I had a few minutes, I did more situps and pushups and practiced technique. When we had some running opportunitites, I pushed myself to make my lungs stronger.

Why do you think that in all sports teams and players win a whole lot more at home decade after decade after decade? It's not because they are "physically better" at home. It's because they are mentally stronger and emotionally stronger at home. Veterans get better on the road because they get mentally stronger and emotionally stronger. Physical abilities have nothing to do with it.

It's why I love College athletics so much. They are so emotionally charged that they have out-of-body physical experiences.

Excellence in athletics or in any venue is all about mental toughness, work ethic and emotional maturity.

Anybody can achieve excellence at anything they want to do. All they have to do is want it strongly enough.

You know I was waiting for that.

There were several state champions who had two-mile times in the 10+, but they couldn't crack 12:00 under these conditions. Only one did and I was even with him through one mile and I knew I could outkick him if I stayed within 60 yards. You obviously never went through those conditions I stated yourself in Basic Training or you wouldn't have said that. To begin the two-mile already exhausted for most of them (while I was fresh) was a lot of the difference, and, of course, the boots and full clothing, and in the Sun. You also didn't get to spend any spare time training by running, as there was no spare time. When I had a few minutes, I did more situps and pushups and practiced technique. When we had some running opportunitites, I pushed myself to make my lungs stronger.

Why do you think that in all sports teams and players win a whole lot more at home decade after decade after decade? It's not because they are "physically better" at home. It's because they are mentally stronger and emotionally stronger at home. Veterans get better on the road because they get mentally stronger and emotionally stronger. Physical abilities have nothing to do with it.

It's why I love College athletics so much. They are so emotionally charged that they have out-of-body physical experiences.

Excellence in athletics or in any venue is all about mental toughness, work ethic and emotional maturity.

Anybody can achieve excellence at anything they want to do. All they have to do is want it strongly enough.
    I'm calling BS. First off, if someone was a state champion with a 10+, it was for a small school division in a slow state. That won't even get you a qualifier time in a lot of state divisions. You were not running against fast people. I appreciate the boots and uniform slow you down, but 12:10 is nothing like fast. Sorry. It's good you stuck with the military because you were not missing out on your potential as a collegiate distance champion.

I'm calling BS. First off, if someone was a state champion with a 10+, it was for a small school division in a slow state. That won't even get you a qualifier time in a lot of state divisions. You were not running against fast people. I appreciate the boots and uniform slow you down, but 12:10 is nothing like fast. Sorry. It's good you stuck with the military because you were not missing out on your potential as a collegiate distance champion.
    Yes. 12:10 is not fast at all if someone was doing it as a track event. Heck, I used to run four miles with my backpack in 28 minutes going to school in the morning for fun a few years later. But, that was fresh getting up in the morning, not after being exhausted from two previous exercises meant to tire you out.

Again, you clearly never participated in these events under these conditions, or you would not be of this belief. You are trying to compare it to pristine track and field conditions when one has nothing to do with the other.

The point again is that emotional and mental toughness is more important than physical ability.

Here's another one...six months before my basic training there was a weekend introduction, or mini-camp. On Friday night, we did two of the tests, the shuttle and the pullups. I had never done more than two pullups in my life (small wrists, small forearms), and I did two....barely. I was embarrassed and spent any free moments I had doing pushups that night through the middle of Sunday, giving my arms some rest before the repeat test on Sunday afternoon. I did 14. There was physical improvement, but it was mostly mental improvement, believing I could do them.

Lillard is who he is because of work ethic, emotional strength and emotional maturity. He will constantly tell you this. He got zero D-1 scholarship offers. He didn't grow physically. He was simply incredibly determined.

The human elemant is everything. Emotional and mental strength is why I watch sports. It drives their physical abilities to excellence.

Speaking of Lillard, after he passed Aldridge tonight for #2 on the Blazer scoring list, he said he's now gunning for Clyde knowing it would occur in the first year of his next contract.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Again, you seem to assume because you can't understand it, then it must not be true. Did not know that you knew all things humanly possible. Must be a burden for you.

Most people would find that going from 155 to 165 (while adding more than 10 pounds of muscle...tissue is not just muscle or fat) while going from 14:12 to 13:10 to 12:10 is easily doable if one has the desire strong enough to improve. The 12:10 would have been 11:10-11:40 had I not walked those two sections. That's 2-1/2 to 3 minutes, not 5. Your math is bad. If you had excelled at anything, you would understand how willpower works.
    You stated the following:

I "maxed out" the 2nd test where you couldn't get credit for doing pushups or situps over a maximum number during the 2-minutes, while I knocked off a minute from my 2-mile.
    Then you stated:

On the 3rd test, I maxed out again (I blew past the max pushups by 8 and was still going as they were telling me to stop, stop) and did so more quickly as I had struggled maxing out on the situps in the 2nd test, wearing me out quite a bit. I was fresh as I began the 2-mile and knocked another minute off of my two-mile
    That's TWO minutes lopped off your times without the walking. You then said:

Had I not been told the wrong number I would have knocked off a minute and a half to two minutes
    Your estimate is wrong. You likely lost nearly three minutes of total time by walking 1/8 of a track twice near the end of a distance race given the conditions (boots at least, lactic acid buildup which forced you to stop running in the first place). That additional three minutes PLUS the two minutes you're already claiming equals a claim of a 5-minute gain over those 8 weeks. My math is quite solid, thank you. Now you seem to be claiming that walking that distance would have only taken you 30 seconds to a minute. No. It would have taken you that long to run two 1/8 track segments combined given the condition you were in; not walk it.

Cutting your original claim in half doesn't help you. It's just another inconsistency.

And I am glad that you posted times, because knocking the required three minutes off 12:10 would have you ending up at 9 minutes and 10 seconds for a two mile run. That's rabbit-hole problematic for you.

The High School US boys record during the 1970's was between 8:36 and 8:40- those were set in 1973 and 1979 respectively. Put boots and/or gear on those two trained, highly dedicated athletes and I can guarantee they'd come in above 9 minutes and 10 seconds. Maybe even above 10 minutes. These were the top teenagers in the country. Yet at 9 minutes and 10 seconds, you're effectively (and unintentionally) claiming that you'd likely have topped every High School runner in the United States over that decade had you not taken a couple strolls. Even if we knock a minute off the "walking" incident(s), that would still likely leave you qualified for a national-level amateur meet after running an official two mile exactly three times. <shakes head, throws up hands>

The 10 pounds of muscle thing? Nah, I doubt you were power lifting 24/7 (endurance running and cardio activity won't do it), had access to the kind of diet and supplements (including a HUGE calorie surplus) you'd need to even approach that. You definitely didn't get the kind of sleep it would take for optimal tissue repair. If you came in at 0% body fat, it's more likely that you started off losing muscle mass as you acclimated because your body would begin devouring it's own muscle tissue almost immediately with no fat stores available to power it.

If you had excelled at anything, you would understand how willpower works.
    I wanted to pull this out and highlight it because I think it's one of the weakest things ever posted on this message board. I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why you would think that would be an appropriate thing to say to another human being regardless of how frustrated you might be. Snark and bait are one thing. But that's fishing with dynamite.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?