Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB and Players Union discussing several possible future rule changes.

Re: MLB and Players Union discussing several possible future rule changes.

Hate the three batter rule. I don’t like taking decisions away from managers.

I like the 12 man pitching staff, but not sure how it’s enforced, especially with more two way players in the game, and more position players pitching on blow outs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Younger me lived and died for the National League way of life & anyone who disagreed was wrong- down with the DH. Eh, I'm older now, have kids, and look at life from a different perspective. I'm okay with the DH especially if it extends the careers of players I like watching. Griffey Jr. could have perhaps performed better when with the Reds if the DH existed in the NL, Adam Dunn maybe would have launched nearly 500 HRs as a Red, etc.
    It's not a matter of right or wrong about the DH. It is a matter of preference. You are okay with it, I am assuredly not.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    It's not a matter of right or wrong about the DH. It is a matter of preference. You are okay with it, I am assuredly not.
    But why are you against it, do you enjoy the thrill of bunting or watching a pitcher hit 2 times then get subbed out for a pinch hitter anyways who is just a poor man's DH.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Re: MLB and Players Untion discussing several possible future rule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would prefer they have the trade deadline during the all-star break. Expand it by a day and fill those days with deals. Have deadline 24 hours before first game so players can get to new teams.
    Ex Monday- derby
    Tuesday- game
    Thursday 4pm deadline
    Friday 7 pm games resume
    I doubt they would risk star players switching teams or leagues who are already in the ASG.
    I remember that happening one time ever, when the Reds traded Jeff Shaw after the lineup announcement but before the game.

If the deadline was that close, I feel like it would happen often.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

A three-batter minimum for pitchers - I kind of like the idea as it would speed up the game, but no thanks.

A universal designated hitter - No. No. NO. NOOOOOOO.

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break - Sure, why not.

A 20-second pitch clock - I don't want clocks in baseball. But reminds me one time I was pissed at the umpire in a high school game I was pitching. I held the ball forever and threw over to first base about 5 times straight. Pissed a lot of people off, lol. Always used to wonder what would happen if you just never threw the ball, haha.

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum - Sure.

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams - Interesting.....but gives a bigger advantage to the rich teams. The draft is supposed to balance the league, not make the strong teams stronger. If you want teams to not tank for lottery picks....somehow make attendance matter to the owners moneywise. No one wants to watch a loser (besides cub fans). With all the crazy TV deals, it seems it really doesn't matter if anyone actually attends the games.

A study to lower the mound - No thanks. Make bigger park dimensions instead. Bigger parks, more hits, less homers, same strikeouts (until league adapts), more fun.

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts - Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Younger me lived and died for the National League way of life & anyone who disagreed was wrong- down with the DH. Eh, I'm older now, have kids, and look at life from a different perspective. I'm okay with the DH especially if it extends the careers of players I like watching. Griffey Jr. could have perhaps performed better when with the Reds if the DH existed in the NL, Adam Dunn maybe would have launched nearly 500 HRs as a Red, etc.
    Yep, I argued all the time the NL non-dh style of play to all of my friends who were Indians fans that loved the dh.

8. Likes:

reds77 (02-06-2019)

HATE the DH - love the 3 batter rule, or as I call it "the anti-Larussa" rule.

The other ones I don't care that much about but think that limiting September call ups would probably need larger rosters the rest of the year for the union to consider it.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    But why are you against it, do you enjoy the thrill of bunting or watching a pitcher hit 2 times then get subbed out for a pinch hitter anyways who is just a poor man's DH.
    I've already gone over this ad nauseam in other threads. But here are the talking points in a nutshell.

- roster makeup: Bench is much more important without the DH
    - lineup decisions : Balancing the relative skill sets of the lineup is much more important without the DH. One example: the #8 hitter is less likely to see good pitches to hit early in the game. Another example: production from 1-6 hitters is more important.
    - strategy: Extends way beyond whether you intentionally walk the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. It may change the way the earlier hitters are approached as well. It may change how aggressive you are on the base paths. It also allows you to force decisions on the opposing team.

With the DH, baseball is more bland for me.

11. Likes:

NC Reds (02-06-2019)

Warm up pitches! Get rid of warm up pitches!

There is nothing worse than: commercial, pitcher faces one batter, commercial. Elapsed time: 8 minutes.

I understand pitchers want/need to warm up, but limit it to 2, maybe 3 pitches from the mound and get the game going. There's no need for 8 warm up pitches for every pitching change.

I've already gone over this ad nauseam in other threads. But here are the talking points in a nutshell.

- lineup decisions : Balancing the relative skill sets of the lineup is much more important without the DH. One example: the #8 hitter is less likely to see good pitches to hit early in the game. Another example: production from 1-6 hitters is more important.
    - strategy: Extends way beyond whether you intentionally walk the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. It may change the way the earlier hitters are approached as well. It may change how aggressive you are on the base paths. It also allows you to force decisions on the opposing team.

I understand there's more strategy in a non DH game, but I want to see players do what they do best. With the exception of a rare few pitchers, they're not hitters.

14. Likes:

reds77 (02-06-2019)

Makes sense, unfortunately for the people who share the same viewpoint as you it seems as if the DH is going to come to the NL sooner or later.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Hi, my name is reds77 and I like the DH. I openly admit, I'm shocked that I favor it being brought to the NL.

A three-batter minimum for pitchers
    Doesn't really matter. I'd like to see what happens if a pitcher gets two outs on his only two batters and then his spot's up next in the lineup. Can you pinch hit for him or does he have to bat? More than likely a manager would double switch out of that situation but it would be intriguing.

A universal designated hitter
    Not only no but hell, no!

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break
    I don't like this. There are four times a season where MLB catches the sporting public's fancy. Opening Day, the All Star Break/Game, the trade deadline and the postseason. You move the trade deadline to or near the All Star break no one is going to care about baseball until the playoffs. Basically you have until the All Star Break to improve your team. After that, if there's an injury or something else, with the trade deadline over, you're screwed.

A 20-second pitch clock
    I guess I'm OK with it but there are some pitchers who are more effective if they work slow and vice versa. Plus doesn't the clock restart when the pitcher steps off the rubber or throws to first or the batter steps out of the box?

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum
    No problems there but I wouldn't mind seeing a 25 man roster and inactives like hockey, football, and soccer have. Make your starter inactive a day or two after his start and fill that with another bench guy or reliever. You might even be able to go to a 24 or 23 man roster if you do that. Plus you minimize September callup advantages. You don't have a 28 vs. 32 man matchup.

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole point of a draft is to get bad teams better. So they get first crack at the best amateur players. You really want to give the Red Sox, Yankees, Astros and Dodgers high draft picks after making the playoffs?

A study to lower the mound
    I thought there was already enough offense in the game.

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts
    A solution in search of a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

919191 (02-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would prefer they have the trade deadline during the all-star break. Expand it by a day and fill those days with deals. Have deadline 24 hours before first game so players can get to new teams.
    Ex Monday- derby
    Tuesday- game
    Thursday 4pm deadline
    Friday 7 pm games resume
    Add in no trades involving all-stars can be announced from Sat until after the game ends.

I suppose the draft penalty for losing teams stems from how free agency has played out the last couple of seasons? Teams are purposely passing on free agents and looking to follow the "Astros way" of building through the draft even it means losing for a 3 to 5+ years. MLBPA wants the big contracts for as many players as possible. Thus, their proposal is if you don't sign free agents and tank, then you should be penalized. If you spend and win, you should be rewarded.

Turn Off Ads?