Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019

Re: College Football 2019

Yeah, I was a bit worried about Clemson earlier in the year. Turns out they were just bored, I guess. They're now on the proper warpath and will be a very difficult out on 12/31. I assume it will be Clemson/Ohio State as the 2/3 matchup, and that should be one helluva way to bring in the new year!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yeah, I was a bit worried about Clemson earlier in the year. Turns out they were just bored, I guess. They're now on the proper warpath and will be a very difficult out on 12/31. I assume it will be Clemson/Ohio State as the 2/3 matchup, and that should be one helluva way to bring in the new year!
    Yeah Clemson was hung over from winning it last year and bored from no one to play, but they are awake now and look good.

I think Ohio State likely ends up as the 1 seed unless the next couple weeks are close games. I think it’ll be OSU vs Oregon/Utah in Atlanta and LSU/Clemson in Glendale and OSU vs Clemson in New Orleans.

Also just from a schedule standpoint the semis are on 12/28 not 12/31. They put them on the Saturday. Final is on Monday 1/13.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 11-19-2019 at 03:59 PM.

I just can't see the undefeated SEC champs not being the #1 seed, even if Ohio State looks like the better team. But we shall obviously see. Bummer about 12/31. I thought that was a fun idea while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I just can't see the undefeated SEC champs not being the #1 seed, even if Ohio State looks like the better team. But we shall obviously see. Bummer about 12/31. I thought that was a fun idea while it lasted.
    It’ll depend on this Penn State game. If OSU wins 52-20 they’ll be 1 and stay there. If they win 27-24 than LSU will keep it.

There are more than 15 teams better than Wisconsin? Wisconsin laid an egg in a game......just like Georgia did. But there are not 15 teams better.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    There are more than 15 teams better than Wisconsin? Wisconsin laid an egg in a game......just like Georgia did. But there are not 15 teams better.
    I think Wisconsin is a solid top 15 program in the country. I do think that Wisconsin is a team that probably maxes out between 5 and 10. They don't have the athletes to really compete on a regular basis against the top programs. They stand a chance against more talented teams that aren't well coached. But if you have talent + coaching, Wisconsin will struggle. I do think they absolutely could beat Georgia, Georgia just doesn't do much of offense to really put Wisconsin at a disadvantage. Wisconsin has the one bad loss and the one loss to OSU. Had they drawn Maryland, Rutgers, or Indiana from the East, we are probably talking about a one loss or undefeated Wisconsin heading into the game against Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I think LSU is clearly the most tested team. I have no idea how Clemson looks when they get on the field with a LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. A less than mediocre UNC team almost took out Clemson and the rest of their schedule has been super soft. I feel like Ohio State is very good, but I do believe many of Ohio States "big wins" have been against over ranked teams. I do not think Wisconsin is a Top #15 team....nor do I think that highly of Penn State or Michigan who they finish out the season against. It does not mean Ohio State is not good or even the best team, but I will find it very interesting when they take the field against a Clemson or LSU who have equal or better athletes. I feel like LSU is the only team that we have seen take the field against equal or better athletes in some positions multiple times this year and still win those games.
    What 15 teams do you have ahead of Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What 15 teams do you have ahead of Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan?
    That whole post was code for “they don’t have an S, an E, and a C after their name so they must not be that good”. OSU looks “pretty good” this year. Lol
    Last edited by MWM; 11-19-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

10. Likes:

jimbo (11-20-2019)

Only 9 seconds in Auburn on Opening Day keeps Oregon from being undefeated.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401110722
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That whole post was code for “they don’t have an S, an E, and a C after their name so they must not be that good”. OSU looks “pretty good” this year. Lol
    my team is not in the SEC, but I do recognize that the SEC is the most talented conference in the country and it is not close. In contrast, the Big10 historically has most often had over ranked teams in recent decades because of the strong brand names/history and strong representation in sports media because they include some of the best J schools whose alumni dominate the eastern media outlets. I get you may not want to hear that as an Ohio State or Big10 fan, but it has been proven out with multiple evaluations of the AP poll looking at where teams are ranked in the preseason and where they finish the year. You get many teams ranked high before the year, they get through a non con schedule that is often soft, and then play each other. The only team over ranked more often was Notre Dame. I am not suggesting that it is every year or even every team...but it happens most years. For example, this year Michigan State was ranked #18 in the preseason and by the time they play Ohio State, they are still ranked which appears like a good win for Ohio State.....but Michigan State was never a Top 25 team. Nebraska who is also garbage was ranked in the preseason. You had 7 teams ranked in the Top 25 before the season....8 in the Top 30 as Northwestern was ranked #30!?!

If teams like Wisconsin, Michigan or Penn State were in the SEC, they would be around .500 in conference. The top half of the SEC and Clemson is just a different brand of football. It is nearly impossible to evaluate your top teams because they mostly played cream puff non conference schedules. I think Penn State was the only top half Big10 team that even played a P5 school (Pitt), a game they should have lost. It really just becomes a big circle jerk based on preseason rankings. Also, I did not say Ohio State was "pretty good"....I said they appeared to be "very good" and "maybe even the best team in the country." That said, I will need to see it because the last time Ohio State was in the playoff and ranked higher than Clemson....we know how that ended.

I really am not trying to offend anyone....my team is not good enough to talk down to anyone and I know how emotionally invested we become in our teams. Still, if you are going to be snarky commenting on my post, I am going to be honest about the way I view it. The SEC is better in football than the Big10 from top to bottom....it is better than every conference.

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (11-20-2019),WVRed (11-20-2019)

On a lighter note...

Gamecocks football staffer dismissed after allegedly fighting man dressed as Will Muschamp

https://www.postandcourier.com/sport...b131a57f6.html
    Go Gators!

my team is not in the SEC, but I do recognize that the SEC is the most talented conference in the country and it is not close. In contrast, the Big10 historically has most often had over ranked teams in recent decades because of the strong brand names/history and strong representation in sports media because they include some of the best J schools whose alumni dominate the eastern media outlets. I get you may not want to hear that as an Ohio State or Big10 fan, but it has been proven out with multiple evaluations of the AP poll looking at where teams are ranked in the preseason and where they finish the year. You get many teams ranked high before the year, they get through a non con schedule that is often soft, and then play each other. The only team over ranked more often was Notre Dame. I am not suggesting that it is every year or even every team...but it happens most years. For example, this year Michigan State was ranked #18 in the preseason and by the time they play Ohio State, they are still ranked which appears like a good win for Ohio State.....but Michigan State was never a Top 25 team. Nebraska who is also garbage was ranked in the preseason. You had 7 teams ranked in the Top 25 before the season....8 in the Top 30 as Northwestern was ranked #30!?!

If teams like Wisconsin, Michigan or Penn State were in the SEC, they would be around .500 in conference. The top half of the SEC and Clemson is just a different brand of football. It is nearly impossible to evaluate your top teams because they mostly played cream puff non conference schedules. I think Penn State was the only top half Big10 team that even played a P5 school (Pitt), a game they should have lost. It really just becomes a big circle jerk based on preseason rankings. Also, I did not say Ohio State was "pretty good"....I said they appeared to be "very good" and "maybe even the best team in the country." That said, I will need to see it because the last time Ohio State was in the playoff and ranked higher than Clemson....we know how that ended.

I really am not trying to offend anyone....my team is not good enough to talk down to anyone and I know how emotionally invested we become in our teams. Still, if you are going to be snarky commenting on my post, I am going to be honest about the way I view it. The SEC is better in football than the Big10 from top to bottom....it is better than every conference.
    Put the crack pipe down...

- - - Updated - - -

Put the crack pipe down...
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

16. Likes:

jimbo (11-20-2019)

If you’re argument is that preseason ratings are stupid and wrong, well yeah.

If you’re arguing that Big Ten teams get over ranked and receive the benefit of the doubt compared to other conferences absolutely not. Teams like Texas A&M, Auburn, Missouri will all end up with five losses some years and still end up ranked to make the top teams look better.

The Big Ten and the SEC are basically the same right now.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 11-20-2019 at 11:22 AM.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-20-2019),Revering4Blue (11-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If you’re argument is that preseason ratings are stupid name wrong, well yeah.

If you’re arguing that Big Ten teams get over ranked and receive the benefit of the doubt compared to other conferences absolutely not. Teams like Texas A&M, Auburn, Missouri will all end up with five losses some years and still end up ranked to make the top teams look better.

The Big Ten and the SEC are basically the same right now.
    The SEC has more top teams, 3, than any other conference. But the middle and bottom of the conference gets a massive benefit of the doubt. I think you can lump about 5 teams together who are top tier, Bama, Clemson, OSU, LSU, and Georgia. I think the next tier is Oklahoma, PSU, and a host of other teams who are good, not great.

I think the B1G was in bad shape prior to Urban's arrival. They had fallen behind the SEC, and Tressel has slipped a little bit in his recruiting, he became a little more content in dominating the B1G instead of being a national challenger. I think the SEC's reputation as being the top conference is based in the mid 00's, even though the conference has gotten quite a bit better as of late.

20. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (11-20-2019),HeatherC1212 (11-21-2019),Revering4Blue (11-20-2019)

If teams like Wisconsin, Michigan or Penn State were in the SEC, they would be around .500 in conference.
    What's the list of teams in the SEC who would beat Wisconsin, Michigan, or Penn State? Don't forget that the B1G plays 9 conference games while the SEC only plays 8...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

Turn Off Ads?