1 2.50%
  • Josh Van Meter

5 12.50%
  • Other

1 2.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Reds #25 Prospect?

Who is Reds #25 Prospect?

Rylan Thomas was selected as our #24 prospect. A vote came in for Bren Spillane, so he is added and I added Alex Powers (AA Closer) based on article at Doug's site.

https://redlegnation.com/2019/02/07/...e-alex-powers/

Michael Beltre (23) - OF from Dominican Republic. Split time between Dayton and Daytona. .853 OPS in Dayton, .752 in Daytona.
    Michael Byrne (21) - Closer from Univ Florida - 14th Round 2018 pick. Started in Daytona and 1.25 ERA in 20 innings.
    Fidel Castro (20) RF from Havana, Cuba. Oops. Dominican Republic. Posts .921 OPS in Az Rookie league as 19 year old.
    Jacob Heatherly (20) - LHP from Cullman, AL. 3rd Round draft in 2017. 5.82 ERA in Greeneville.
    Ryan Hendrix (24) RHP from Texas A&M. Drafted in 5th Round of 2016 Draft. 1.76 ERA in High A last year
    Connor Joe (26) - INF from San Diego. Claimed off waivers from Dodgers. .935 OPS across 2 levels in 2018.
    Joel Kuhnel (23) - RHP from UT Arlington. 11th round pick in 2016. 3.04 ERA in Daytona out of bullpen.
    Packy Naughton (22) - LHP from Va Tech. 9th Round pick in 2017. 4.03 ERA in Dayton.
    Alex Powers (27) - RHP. AA Closer in 2018. 18/20 Saves. 2.34 ERA and .097 Whip. Acquired as FA after release by W Sox.
    Reiver Sanmartin (23) - LHP from Columbia. 2.81 ERA across several levels in 2018. Acquired from Yankees in Sonny Gray trade.
    Debby Santana (18) 3B from Dominican Republic. Hit .250 with .721 OPS in Az as 17 year old. Signed as Intl Free Agent in Aug 2016.
    Bren Spillane (22) 1b/RF from Univ Illinois. 2018 Big Ten Player of Year, 33rd round pick in 2018. .814 OPS in Billings.
    Andy Sugillo (22) - OF hit .345 with .862 OPS and 20 SB in 2017. .297 and .730 OPS in 2nd half in 2018. Signed as International Free Agent in Oct 2013. Bonus $125K.
    Josh Van Meter (23) .841 OPS in AA and in second half had .356/.568/.924 in AAA. Acquired in trade with Padres for Rule 5 player.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Reds #25 Prospect?

I appreciate the continue dedication of posting these polls.

4. Likes:

HokieRed (02-10-2019),Kinsm (02-10-2019),texasdave (02-10-2019),Tuff Nut (02-09-2019),UKFlounder (02-10-2019)

You guys are sleeping on Connor Joe.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

BillDoran (02-09-2019),HokieRed (02-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    You guys are sleeping on Connor Joe.
    I'm curious as to why he is on this list? He's 26 and should be on the 25 man. In terms of potential I'd have him above a lot of these guys but I don't agree with him being on the list.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 02-09-2019 at 01:14 PM.

He's a Reds minor leaguer, who is Rookie eligible. That's what the list is....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He's a Reds minor leaguer, who is Rookie eligible. That's what the list is....
    He's not a Reds minor leaguer until he's been assigned to a Reds minor league team and expectations are that he'll be on the 25 man.

It's whatever but saying we're "sleeping" on a 26 year old who's expected to be on the OD roster seems off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    He's not a Reds minor leaguer until he's been assigned to a Reds minor league team and expectations are that he'll be on the 25 man.

It's whatever but saying we're "sleeping" on a 26 year old who's expected to be on the OD roster seems off base.
    He qualifies as a rookie, had a .935 OPS in 435 AA and AAA PAs in 2018 and is Reds property. Why would he not be on the list?

Thinking a guy with that profile shouldn't be on the list, is, well, sleeping on him.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He qualifies as a rookie, had a .935 OPS in 435 AA and AAA PAs in 2018 and is Reds property. Why would he not be on the list?

Thinking a guy with that profile shouldn't be on the list, is, well, sleeping on him.
    Because he’s likely going to be on the 25 man, not in the minors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think traditionally this poll has included everyone who's rookie eligible.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Because he’s likely going to be on the 25 man, not in the minors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last year we had Winker and Mahle on the list and the same was true of them.

I think Connor Joe's bat and the fact that it is 25 roster or nothing gives him a good chance to stick. My doubts center around how he will be used. The vast majority of his time has been corner infield. He could give a day off now and then to Votto and Suarez. If the Reds were willing to give Suarez a few games at SS, he could, in effect, give Peraza a day off as well. Is that enough?

I actually like Connor Joe but I always a bit struggle with ranking Rule 5 guys, I remember having the same issue with Jake Cave. They're just a different case from so many of these other guys because these other guys aren't going to make the Reds out of spring training or be out of the org completely.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (02-11-2019)

Connor Joe would have been better served in the American League, since they have the DH. I don't see how he makes the club, aside from the fact that he is a Rule V selectee. 13 pitchers (5 starters + 8 relievers) plus 8 position players gets you to 21. A team definitely needs a backup catcher which pushes the total to 22. There are only three spots left. Versatility is key. Joe's bat may be real, but where does he play? From what I gather only first base. And not even first base very well. He did not play a single game in the outfield in 2018, so marking him down as a corner outfielder seems sketchy. His career minor league fielding percentage at third base is under .900. Josh VanMeter hit well at both AA and AAA last year, and is 3 years younger. VanMeter's positional versatility is light-years ahead of Joe's.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (02-10-2019),RED VAN HOT (02-11-2019)

My bet is Joe ends up back with LA. Seems a waste of a spot to add him but by the informal rules this poll uses he does qualify for inclusion. I went with Beltre here but we've laready reached the point where very little seperates the guys left on the list.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Last year we had Winker and Mahle on the list and the same was true of them.
    You're comparing two guys who've been with the Reds since they left HS and were on last years list at ages 23 and 24 with a rule 5 draft pick who's 26 years old, never played in the Reds system, and has very little chance of playing for a Reds minor league team.

I like Joe but I think its a misperception to say someone like myself is sleeping on him because I view his profile differently than the other guys on these lists.

Turn Off Ads?