Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Senzel Expectation & Prediction Thread

Re: Nick Senzel Expectation & Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The only reason they would keep him in AAA all year is to drastically screw him over when it comes to service time, which yes, I would view as an extremely bad thing.

Like he was obviously ready last year at the beginning of the season, if they left him down in AAA again all year, he would never play a day beyond arbitration for this team and might even file a grievance, both of which would be very justified.
    No that really isn't the only reason. What if he's not hitting? What if the vertigo returns? What if at the only positions he can play, those spots are filled with guys killing it? (2B, 3B). What if he shows no aptitude for CF? What if he does show an ability to play CF, but it takes 2-3 months before he shows it? What if suring that 2-3 months, Puig and Schebler are crushing it, rotating in CF and RF?

Last year he may have been ready to hit major league pitching. He still had no position to play and the Reds seemed dumbfounded as to where to play him.

It's not as black and white as you are making it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only reason they would keep him in AAA all year is to drastically screw him over when it comes to service time, which yes, I would view as an extremely bad thing.

Like he was obviously ready last year at the beginning of the season, if they left him down in AAA again all year, he would never play a day beyond arbitration for this team and might even file a grievance, both of which would be very justified.
    He might be ready but he's blocked by Scooter Gennett atm. He wouldn't be the first prospect who had to spend an extra year in the minors because a team didn't have an opening. A grievance would be ludicrous.

4. Likes:

TRF (02-13-2019)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Just for the record, I'm calling .280/.330/.450 14HR. Just a precursor to the gonelong prediction thread.

900/900/900 line. Anything lower and he is a bust!

Reds Fan Since 1971

Asuna's Husband

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    900/900/900 line. Anything lower and he is a bust!

Ah the good ol' Jack Parkman vs. Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn line
    Last edited by Kirito-Sama; 02-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Then be honest and call it finagling for service time. It’s definitely not for the team’s or Senzel’s benefit.
    It is absolutely to the team's long term benefit to gain another year of control over Senzel by putting him in the minors for 2 weeks.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

9. Likes:

fondfoat (02-13-2019),mth123 (02-12-2019),TRF (02-13-2019)

The current system is messed up and needs to be fixed, but no way the Reds should purposefully put themselves at a disadvantage compared to other teams because of that. Do it like everyone else, put him in AAA for 2 weeks to "get acclimated to CF" and call him up immediately unless the 4 OFers are killing it and Senzel needs more work in CF.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No that really isn't the only reason. What if he's not hitting? What if the vertigo returns? What if at the only positions he can play, those spots are filled with guys killing it? (2B, 3B). What if he shows no aptitude for CF? What if he does show an ability to play CF, but it takes 2-3 months before he shows it? What if suring that 2-3 months, Puig and Schebler are crushing it, rotating in CF and RF?

Last year he may have been ready to hit major league pitching. He still had no position to play and the Reds seemed dumbfounded as to where to play him.

It's not as black and white as you are making it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    He might be ready but he's blocked by Scooter Gennett atm. He wouldn't be the first prospect who had to spend an extra year in the minors because a team didn't have an opening. A grievance would be ludicrous.
    I was saying that with the assumption that he could adequately play, if not and he’s blocked, then that’s one thing.

But he showed that he could hit last year. He has nothing to prove in AAA any more, unless it’s maybe learning to CF some. I still don’t see what the difference between being injured in the MLB and in AAA is supposed to be either.

If there’s a spot for him to play and defensively he’s ready to go, and they still leave him down, then there’s a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The current system is messed up and needs to be fixed, but no way the Reds should purposefully put themselves at a disadvantage compared to other teams because of that. Do it like everyone else, put him in AAA for 2 weeks to "get acclimated to CF" and call him up immediately unless the 4 OFers are killing it and Senzel needs more work in CF.
    I know that’s what they’ll do, I don’t agree it’s what they should do though. I’d prefer the Reds start off on good terms with their young players upon bringing them to the big leagues, and likely increase their chances of being able to resign them when the time comes.

I know that’s what they’ll do, I don’t agree it’s what they should do though. I’d prefer the Reds start off on good terms with their young players upon bringing them to the big leagues, and likely increase their chances of being able to resign them when the time comes.
    The Reds should be more worried about maximizing team control than worried about giving their odds of keeping guys around for 10 years a small boost. And as others have pointed out, he played 44 games last season, is learning a new position, and the Reds are jammed full on offense. This isn't quite a Kris Bryant or Vlad Jr level of manipulation.

Please be good Senzel!! In “The Bachelor” terms I’ve already “put myself out there” once and Brandon Larson broke my heart

14. Likes:

reds77 (02-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Please be good Senzel!! In “The Bachelor” terms I’ve already “put myself out there” once and Brandon Larson broke my heart
    Yea, but putting yourself out there for Brandon Larson was also giving your heart to Bowden and his blowhard, self-promotion of his own trades, free agent signings, and draft choices. Jimmy stepped on your heart bro.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In terms of upside, I picture Justin Turner (Dodgers-version) or Anthony Rendon.

More middle ground would be like 2016/2017 Matt Carpenter or Mike Lowell.
    When you say 2016/2017 Matt Carpenter are you referring to bat+glove or just bat? Also, is that your expectation for this year or peak or average or what?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Yea, but putting yourself out there for Brandon Larson was also giving your heart to Bowden and his blowhard, self-promotion of his own trades, free agent signings, and draft choices. Jimmy stepped on your heart bro.
    I’m past middle aged but still a sucker for leather pants I guess

18. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-28-2019),reds77 (02-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It is absolutely to the team's long term benefit to gain another year of control over Senzel by putting him in the minors for 2 weeks.
    "Team" as in the guys in the dugout trying to win games in 2019. Not the long-term franchise version.

I tend to think it's in a team's long-term best interest to treat its players as well as possible.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-12-2019)

Turn Off Ads?