Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Alliance of American Football

Re: Alliance of American Football

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The overall talent level of G5 conferences doesn’t matter with regard to individual talent.

The best WR in the NFL over the past 5 years is a MAC player.

Perhaps the best defensive player in the NFL is a MAC player.

These are INDIVIDUAL talents.
    I agree. That being said, Woodside's talent is below that of major college football. I have to add that caveat because if I merely said college football one could ask, "well what do you mean here Sea Ray? He's better than Harvard's QB and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a pretty good NFL QB..."

That's RZ for ya...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The overall talent level of G5 conferences doesn’t matter with regard to individual talent.

The best WR in the NFL over the past 5 years is a MAC player.

Perhaps the best defensive player in the NFL is a MAC player.

These are INDIVIDUAL talents.
    The best WR in the history of football was a non power 5 school player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree. That being said, Woodside's talent is below that of major college football. I have to add that caveat because if I merely said college football one could ask, "well what do you mean here Sea Ray? He's better than Harvard's QB and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a pretty good NFL QB..."

That's RZ for ya...
    Woodside could have gone to a Power 5 school and been a backup. He chose to go to a MAC school and start.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Woodside could have gone to a Power 5 school and been a backup. He chose to go to a MAC school and start.
    I'm not so sure that Woodside couldn't have started for at least 1/2 of the B1G schools (Indiana, for example) during his senior year.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

- - - Updated - - -

No Power 5 school offered him a scholarship so I doubt it. Could he have walked on as a backup? Maybe but so what?

No Power 5 school offered him a scholarship so I doubt it. Could he have walked on as a backup? Maybe but so what?
    If that is your argument then you have no idea how college football recruiting works.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I was watching one of the games the other day, and wasn't really sure what I was watching because I haven't heard of this new league (LOL).

I'm not a basketball fan at all, so I'm in my "dead-zone" until baseball starts. I'll give it a watch-see.
    And you, my friend, represent the AAF's targeted demographic, in which the USFL proved that there is, indeed, a market for spring football.

I'm the opposite, as I enjoy NCAA hoops, NBA and NHL, as the Summer (save for MLB and MLS) is my near dead-zone period. Other than boxing -- the real thing, not that, IMHO, UFC garbage -- I have no interest in the individual sports (such as Tennis and Golf), at last from the standpoint of a spectator and could not care less for the left-turn circuit.

That said, the make-or-break issue in regards to viewership......Whether or not the AAF can garner enough eyeballs from the non-AAF major markets. The fact that the planned XFL features teams in the NY, Chicago and LA markets would seem to give the XFL an advantage. In the end, I'm not so sure that a market exists for two major alternative -- I'm using the aforementioned term due to the fact that all AAF and XFL teams are located in major markets (as opposed to markets in which one has to take a "puddle-jumper" plane to reach -- spring football leagues.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

If that is your argument then you have no idea how college football recruiting works.
    My point is he's not major college football material. YMMV

I think it's great if they have to start as a minor leagues for the NFL sort of thing.

I hope they gain traction and ideally, become the anti-NFL.

In every way that the NFL has nerfed itself, in the name of player safety, I hope this league does the opposite. Let it be what football used to be and see if the ratings follow. Yes these players are human beings but people sign up for all kinds of dangerous jobs because the money's good. If they continue with the pre-nerf NFL rules and continue to attract more and more talent and money, maybe they start challenging the NFL for ratings as well.

Because as great as safety is, don't get me wrong, the NFL has gotten kind of boring. Ironically, the NFL now more closely resembles the 65-55 shootouts of the equally boring Arena League football.

I think the NFL's cooperation here is a big deal. I think that's going to be helpful as the league finds its footing.

And I think it's useful for the NFL to allow AAF to act as a lab for any potential rule changes.
    One thing I was curious about is if the NFL teams allow players on their practice squads to participate. I know the league rosters expand for the offseason but I don't know how the guys signed to "future" contracts are impacted.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think the NFL's cooperation here is a big deal. I think that's going to be helpful as the league finds its footing.

And I think it's useful for the NFL to allow AAF to act as a lab for any potential rule changes.
    One thing I was curious about is if the NFL teams allow players on their practice squads to participate. I know the league rosters expand for the offseason but I don't know how the guys signed to "future" contracts are impacted.
    I think they'll get the NFL's blessing and cooperation but will they get subsidized financially? That's the question. I have my doubts that this league can be self sustaining

Honestly, the biggest talent dropoff is QB and OL. If they can bridge the gap there and still keep the non-nerfed rules, I would love for Cincinnati to get a team.

It would be nice to have a professional football team in this town to root for.

13. Likes:

Chip R (02-15-2019),jimbo (02-15-2019),redhawkfish (02-15-2019)

Anyone watch any more of this? Weekend #2 just reinforces what I saw in week one. Very iffy athletic talent on the field. Slow players. I compare it to watching 4th qtr NFL preseason games.

What's this illegal defense stuff? It's a 15 yd penalty if a defense rushes more than 5 guys. That's Pro Bowl stuff there and that's not good

I bet on my first game and lost. So obviously this league is stupid. And a lot like the NFL in this particular respect!

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I bet on my first game and lost. So obviously this league is stupid. And a lot like the NFL in this particular respect!
    I bet on 3 games, and won all three. This league is awesome, except Marvin Lewis, and I'm actually usually pro Marvin Lewis.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Anyone watch any more of this? Weekend #2 just reinforces what I saw in week one. Very iffy athletic talent on the field. Slow players. I compare it to watching 4th qtr NFL preseason games.

What's this illegal defense stuff? It's a 15 yd penalty if a defense rushes more than 5 guys. That's Pro Bowl stuff there and that's not good
    I prefer it to basketball or soccer. The Salt Lake QB looked like a dog turd, but you find those in the NFL too. Football is football to me, as long as it's evenly matched. I love MACtion too, so that tells you my level of interest.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

19. Likes:

jimbo (02-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?