8 20.00%
  • Wennington Romero

1 2.50%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Reds #28 Prospect?

Who is Reds #28 Prospect?

Micheal Byrne was selected as our #27 Prospect. I've added Drew Mount.

Fidel Castro (20) RF from Havana, Cuba. Oops. Dominican Republic. Posts .921 OPS in Az Rookie league as 19 year old.
    Jacob Heatherly (20) - LHP from Cullman, AL. 3rd Round draft in 2017. 5.82 ERA in Greeneville.
    Ryan Hendrix (24) RHP from Texas A&M. Drafted in 5th Round of 2016 Draft. 1.76 ERA in High A last year
    Joel Kuhnel (23) - RHP from UT Arlington. 11th round pick in 2016. 3.04 ERA in Daytona out of bullpen.
    Drew Mount (22) - PF from Kansas St. 16th round pick in 2018. 8 homers, .310 Avg and .850 OPS in Billings
    Packy Naughton (22) - LHP from Va Tech. 9th Round pick in 2017. 4.03 ERA in Dayton.
    Alex Powers (27) - RHP. AA Closer in 2018. 18/20 Saves. 2.34 ERA and .097 Whip. Acquired as FA after release by W Sox.
    Wennington Romero (21) LHP form DR. 4.82 ERA in full season as starter at Daytona as 20 year old.
    Reiver Sanmartin (23) - LHP from Columbia. 2.81 ERA across several levels in 2018. Acquired from Yankees in Sonny Gray trade.
    Debby Santana (18) 3B from Dominican Republic. Hit .250 with .721 OPS in Az as 17 year old. Signed as Intl Free Agent in Aug 2016.
    Bren Spillane (22) 1b/RF from Univ Illinois. 2018 Big Ten Player of Year, 33rd round pick in 2018. .814 OPS in Billings.
    Andy Sugillo (22) - OF hit .345 with .862 OPS and 20 SB in 2017. .297 and .730 OPS in 2nd half in 2018. Signed as International Free Agent in Oct 2013. Bonus $125K.
    Josh Van Meter (23) .841 OPS in AA and in second half had .356/.568/.924 in AAA. Acquired in trade with Padres for Rule 5 player.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-16-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Reds #28 Prospect?

Wennington Romero please
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wennington Romero please
    Done
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

mth123 (02-16-2019)

Is there a scouting report out there on Castro? Have a hard time evaluating a guy whose career consists of 65 PA in the Arizona League after a year in the Dominican League.

Throwing my votes to Reiver. Good control lefty who attacks the zone, sits in the 88-92 mph range.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Is there a scouting report out there on Castro? Have a hard time evaluating a guy whose career consists of 65 PA in the Arizona League after a year in the Dominican League.
    https://redsminorleagues.com/2018/12...-fidel-castro/
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (02-16-2019)

Last time I'll stump for VanMeter.

I have a hard time understanding what people are voting on with Castro. Even Doug's scouting report includes this caveat: "I have never seen Fidel Castro play in person, and the number of people I’ve talked to about him can be counted on a few fingers – so the report below may be a little bit vague compared to some others in this series."

People are voting on 65 stateside PA in the lowest level of organized MLB-affiliated baseball. The limited look we had sent off a big warning as well, 35 percent K rate. He wasn't a big money signing either. He's a fun name and some power at very very low levels of professional baseball.

VanMeter on the other hand -- a 5th round pick out of high school -- posted RC+ of 138 in AA and 114 in AAA during his 23-year-old season. He can credibly field 2B and 3B. He's not exciting, but he can probably play replacement-level baseball in the worst case scenario, and the upside is Neil/Todd Walker.

The most likely outcome for Castro is washing out (as it is for the overwhelming majority of low-level players).
    Last edited by BillDoran; 02-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.

11. Likes:

mace (02-16-2019),OGB (02-19-2019),Rojo Rijo (02-20-2019),texasdave (02-16-2019)

Castro still has upside to hope for while Van Meter has a pretty good shot at being a ML utility guy for a couple seasons maybe but upside just isn't there. Pick your poison - the guy who probably makes it as a fungible part or the guy with tools but a couple big holes who is likely to never see the majors but probably a better player if he beats the odds and does.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

13. Likes:

marcshoe (02-16-2019),UKFlounder (02-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Castro still has upside to hope for while Van Meter has a pretty good shot at being a ML utility guy for a couple seasons maybe but upside just isn't there. Pick your poison - the guy who probably makes it as a fungible part or the guy with tools but a couple big holes who is likely to never see the majors but probably a better player if he beats the odds and does.
    I get that this is the same argument we have every year at this point in the rankings exercise: potential vs. production, but betting on 65 PA in glorified instructionals is betting on a horse before its first race. There's no discernible pedigree either. He put up reasonably good numbers against very low-level competition while he was more than a year older than his competition. He struck out a lot and hit some homers. Sounds like he can possibly play multiple outfield positions. That's the sum-total.

I suppose it shouldn't be all that mystifying. We're all staring at the same stat lines trying to divine some kind of future. We never see the players or their competition. And those are big numbers put up by Castro, but egads, I'd mark him a success if he ever took an AB in AA.

VanMeter may well be an above-average big leaguer. It's a real possibility.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I voted Debby Santana. I just dig the name.

Jacob Heatherly

2017 3rd round pick who is a LHP with a high K rate in limited work.
    He'll turn 21 in May and likely pitch in Billings.
    I don't understand why guys in the DSL are getting votes over him.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Last time I'll stump for VanMeter.

I have a hard time understanding what people are voting on with Castro. Even Doug's scouting report includes this caveat: "I have never seen Fidel Castro play in person, and the number of people I’ve talked to about him can be counted on a few fingers – so the report below may be a little bit vague compared to some others in this series."

People are voting on 65 stateside PA in the lowest level of organized MLB-affiliated baseball. The limited look we had sent off a big warning as well, 35 percent K rate. He wasn't a big money signing either. He's a fun name and some power at very very low levels of professional baseball.

VanMeter on the other hand -- a 5th round pick out of high school -- posted RC+ of 138 in AA and 114 in AAA during his 23-year-old season. He can credibly field 2B and 3B. He's not exciting, but he can probably play replacement-level baseball in the worst case scenario, and the upside is Neil/Todd Walker.

The most likely outcome for Castro is washing out (as it is for the overwhelming majority of low-level players).
    It's crazy the things you see in these RZ prospect polls.

- Voting a guy 22nd who then gets DFA
    - Voting a Rule 5 26 year old in who's likely off the roster w/the Dietrich addition
    - No love for a 22 year old lefty w/a career 2.62 ERA 1.2/7.8 BB/K per 9 minor career

Now we've got a 20 year old w/little in the power or speed department, who struck out 23 times in 63 ABs, hits .315 in AFL and has OPSd .920 in '18 DSL and .931 in '18 AFL and he's getting voted over multiple guys who might actually contribute at the ML level at some point (Heatherly, Sanmartain, Vanmeter etc.)
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 02-20-2019 at 09:09 AM.

18. Likes:

OGB (02-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    It's crazy the things you see in these RZ prospect polls.

- Voting a guy 22nd who then gets DFA
    - Voting a Rule 5 26 year old in who's likely off the roster w/the Dietrich addition
    - No love for a 22 year old lefty w/a career 2.62 ERA 1.2/7.8 BB/K per 9 minor career

Now we've got a 20 year old w/little in the power or speed department, who struck out 23 times in 63 ABs, hits .315 in AFL and has OPSd .920 in '18 DSL and .931 in '18 AFL and he's getting voted over multiple guys who might actually contribute at the ML level at some point (Heatherly, Sanmartain, Vanmeter etc.)
    It was the AZ league, not the AFL. He's got warts, but he was 19 at the time he did that not 20. He turned 20 in December.

.278 .407 .517 .924 in 214 PA's in 2 countries as a 19 year old. That shows some poise. That shows he can handle situations. He's a guy that can still add size and strength to his 6'3" frame. I think he rockets up the prospect depth chart this year. Or he could crater. But you have to think it is interesting that his numbers got BETTER after he moved up to the AZ League. I'd think the pitching is a little better there. Fields and the defense are probably better too. He certainly wasn't old for the league.

Frankly, I think he should be much higher than this. He's going to be fun to track, I hope he starts in Greeneville.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

20. Likes:

M2 (02-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It was the AZ league, not the AFL. He's got warts, but he was 19 at the time he did that not 20. He turned 20 in December.

.278 .407 .517 .924 in 214 PA's in 2 countries as a 19 year old. That shows some poise. That shows he can handle situations. He's a guy that can still add size and strength to his 6'3" frame. I think he rockets up the prospect depth chart this year. Or he could crater. But you have to think it is interesting that his numbers got BETTER after he moved up to the AZ League. I'd think the pitching is a little better there. Fields and the defense are probably better too. He certainly wasn't old for the league.

Frankly, I think he should be much higher than this. He's going to be fun to track, I hope he starts in Greeneville.
    I'm not sure there are many places where you can credibly cite DSL statistics (which is 70 percent of your sample).

His numbers got better, but it's still an incredibly low level of baseball, literally the lowest in MLB-affiliated stateside baseball.

It was 65 PA! It's the very epitome of a small sample size.

Playing in DR and then America shows poise? That is some wild extrapolation. (You can save the story about the harrowing journey to Goodyear, Arizona; the uprooting of his life.)

He's 6'3"! I mean, sure that means he could add weight and power, but so could all other tall players.

Castro isn't a pedigree guy either. From what I can find on the internet, he wasn't signed as a big prospect, didn't receive a big bag of cash (though his trainer/buscone is simply known as "Banana." There is very little in the way of scouting reports. So, it's not as if the optimism is buoyed on pedigree. It's just the few stateside AB.

Of the little information out there, Fangraphs Eric Longerhagan spoke of him in the same breath as another Reds DSL prospect, a guy named Allan Cerda. (Link) That's the level of prospect he is. He's Allan Cerda outside the lunatic fringe of a Reds minor league board.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-20-2019)

AZL is now the same thing as the DSL just played on the mainland. There were no primary English speakers on that club last year.

And Castro did sign for peanuts, not to say he hasn't become worth more than that now.

Turn Off Ads?