Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Discussions generated by Spring Training 19 Pics, News, notes

Re: Discussions generated by Spring Training 19 Pics, News, notes

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The thing is, he was.

In his first 62 games, and 39 starts, he was 16-15 with a 3.83 ERA.
    you are correct that he was a good mlb pitcher for one year. i was alluding to long-term. kansas city had already soured on him is my memory. i could be wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds made him have that attitude problem.

The Reds pushed him off that boat.

The Reds continually giving him a chance to pitch for their organization is contributing to his poor performance.

4. Likes:

Crumbley (03-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    every young pitcher sees an increase in the amount of innings they pitch. Like I said, maybe the jump from 105 innings to 170 "broke" him, maybe it contributed to his poor performance, but I don't see any direct proof of that, nor does it seem logical that this is the main reason for his poor performance.
    A 62% innings increase is pretty steep. Could swear that in previous years when we've been trying to figure out potential IP on the minor league side that 20% was the standard jump. Can't say exactly what's gone wrong with Finnegan, but he has suffered a noticeable loss of stuff following a dramatic increase in his innings.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I don't know why this became a Finnegan thread, but for the record:

If Finnegan was broken due to an increase in innings, then it was done by KC in 2014, going from 79 innings at TCU in 2013 to 170+ innings in 2014 between TCU's regular season, TCU's playoff run, the minors, KC's regular season, and KC's playoffs.

His walk rates, in 2015 and 2016, were crazy bad at every level.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 03-17-2019 at 08:57 PM.

7. Likes:

Crumbley (03-17-2019),Kingspoint (03-17-2019),Senzling Hot (03-18-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I love lefties, but Finnegan has never really passed the eye test. Decent FB, but little command of it. Unimpressed by the rest of his repertoire. Probably past time to move on from him.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

The good news is if Finnegan somehow makes the roster we'll have the biggest whipping boy since the glory days of Corey Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A 62% innings increase is pretty steep. Could swear that in previous years when we've been trying to figure out potential IP on the minor league side that 20% was the standard jump. Can't say exactly what's gone wrong with Finnegan, but he has suffered a noticeable loss of stuff following a dramatic increase in his innings.
    "the rule of 30"

it's not a percentage...it's 30 innings.

Bill James figured that out in one of his encyclopedias from the '70's.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?