Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussions generated by Spring Training 19 Pics, News, notes

Re: Spring Training ‘19: Pics, News, & Notes (Good Vibes Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I hereby hand that bearded man a starting outfield job, no strings attached.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alex Wood wins his arbitration case. He'll get $9.65M for 2019, the Reds number had been $8.7M.
    Thus, the guy who gets paid the most gets to be Opening Day Starter.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Thus, the guy who gets paid the most gets to be Opening Day Starter.
    Roark is making an even $10 mill this year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Is it just me or is he looking a little slimmer?
    I thought so too.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

You realize that there's an entire month of spring training games, right? And that Winker and Senzel are full-go for it? Because it feels like you don't when you talk about how Winker and Senzel need to be on the bench or in the minors to begin the season, respectively, to "prove their health".

I already knew you didn't like Winker but throwing Senzel in here too is a weird wrinkle. Are you really that high on Schebler? Doesn't HE need to prove health?
    Yeah I don’t understand the whole “proving health” thing. If either one isn’t healthy they shouldn’t be playing, and that should be established before they hit the field and reinjure themselves, if they are healthy then they should be playing. What does “proving health” mean anyway? If Senzel is in AAA and takes a fastball of the dome and hits the DL, what does that prove?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

7. Likes:

fondfoat (02-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Yeah I don’t understand the whole “proving health” thing. If either one isn’t healthy they shouldn’t be playing, and that should be established before they hit the field and reinjure themselves, if they are healthy then they should be playing. What does “proving health” mean anyway? If Senzel is in AAA and takes a fastball of the dome and hits the DL, what does that prove?
    If the young bucks have to prove health I assume Schebler and Kemp will need to as well...

9. Likes:

fondfoat (02-14-2019),Griffey012 (02-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Great Puig pic

Attachment 14586
    He needs a Red glove

11. Likes:

drowg14 (02-14-2019),OhioRiverBarge (02-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    To go with the Sal and Winker slimming down story lines, Peraza looks like he put on some muscle. Looks broader, though it could just be the pic.

Attachment 14587
    Peraza’s size has always been underestimated. 6 ft 196 lb (last years MLB measurement) is plenty for a SS.

13. Likes:

lollipopcurve (02-14-2019),OhioRiverBarge (02-13-2019),reds77 (02-14-2019),Tom Servo (02-13-2019)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Peraza’s size has always been underestimated. 6 ft 196 lb (last years MLB measurement) is plenty for a SS.
    You gotta figure those power numbers last year weren’t a fluke. He didn’t show any in MiLB, but a big dude like that with his kind of bat speed should be able knock some out. Maybe he got on the launch angle train last year

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I hereby hand that bearded man a starting outfield job, no strings attached.
    Looks like he's a 7 footer in this picture - forget centerfield, he's a center in the NBA! Can we trade him for a point guard?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

I don't get the continual prove health rhetoric here. Doesn't everybody have to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by fondfoat View Post
    I don't get the continual prove health rhetoric here. Doesn't everybody have to do that?
    No, it's guys who have undergone surgery or had recurring issues that keep them off the field.

Winker's in a gray area because some folks worry a lot about shoulder problems for a hitter (Austin Kearns comes to mind). For me, the fact that he'd been playing through the injury for a matter of years before he got it fixed is cause for optimism. And, as noted by many, his performance at the plate has been excellent. I'd put him in LF and give him 500+ ABs unless he's really fighting it.

18. Likes:

mace (02-14-2019),Ron Madden (02-14-2019)

Asuna's Husband

The only thing I worry about with Senzel in center is that it might force Winker to the bench if they decide to play the veteran bat every day in Kemp....

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Am I the only one who thinks having 12-13 position players on the roster who can be productive starters is a good thing?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

Crumbley (02-14-2019),Griffey012 (02-14-2019)

Asuna's Husband

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks having 12-13 position players on the roster who can be productive starters is a good thing?
    Not at all. I just don't want the corpse of Matt Kemp starting over a 25 year old .400 OBP bat.

Turn Off Ads?