Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 167

Thread: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

  1. #61
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  2. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-04-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,698

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Rutgers isn't a bad loss? Northwestern?
    I only looked up KenPom because it was faster but KenPom has Northwestern ranked #74 and Rutgers #68.
    Losing to a top 75 team on the road is really not a bad loss.

    For comparison's sake, here's the last four in from Jerry Palm's Bracketology.
    Seton Hall is 16-12, and has losses to #110 Depaul (Home & Away) and #135 St. Louis(away). Assuming Seton Hall loses to Marquette and Villanova to finish season, they'd be 16-14.
    Texas is 16-13, with losses to #103 Georgia(Away) and #106 OK State(Away)
    Arizona St is 20-9 but have losses to #116 Utah(Home), #159 Princeton(Home), #139 Vanderbilt(Away), and #204 Washington State(Home)
    Clemson profiles fairly close to IU but with a better record, so I'd have no argument if it came down to IU vs Clemson.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  5. Likes:

    Playadlc (03-06-2019),Revering4Blue (03-04-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (03-10-2019)

  6. #63
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I only looked up KenPom because it was faster but KenPom has Northwestern ranked #74 and Rutgers #68.
    Losing to a top 75 team on the road is really not a bad loss.

    For comparison's sake, here's the last four in from Jerry Palm's Bracketology.
    Seton Hall is 16-12, and has losses to #110 Depaul (Home & Away) and #135 St. Louis(away). Assuming Seton Hall loses to Marquette and Villanova to finish season, they'd be 16-14.
    Texas is 16-13, with losses to #103 Georgia(Away) and #106 OK State(Away)
    Arizona St is 20-9 but have losses to #116 Utah(Home), #159 Princeton(Home), #139 Vanderbilt(Away), and #204 Washington State(Home)
    Clemson profiles fairly close to IU but with a better record, so I'd have no argument if it came down to IU vs Clemson.
    Well Jerry doesn't have Indiana listed anywhere from what I can see. I don't know that a victory over Rutgers and one vs Ill should be the difference

  7. #64
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    NET rankings have Northwestern and Rutgers at 95 and 98. Illinois 92.

    Clemson and IU or not very close. Clemson 40. IU 55

    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

  8. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,698

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    NET rankings have Northwestern and Rutgers at 95 and 98. Illinois 92.

    Clemson and IU or not very close. Clemson 40. IU 55

    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings
    As others have said, it’s not so much beating those teams as winning enough games overall. If they win the two this week, and Seton Hall loses to Marquette & Villanova, then IU would be 17-14 while SH would be 16-14 heading into tourneys. In that situation it seems hard to put Seton Hall in front of IU then.
    As I think I said, if it came down to IU vs Clemson, That’s the one I think IU comes out the least favorably.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  9. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (03-04-2019)

  10. #66
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    As others have said, it’s not so much beating those teams as winning enough games overall. If they win the two this week, and Seton Hall loses to Marquette & Villanova, then IU would be 17-14 while SH would be 16-14 heading into tourneys. In that situation it seems hard to put Seton Hall in front of IU then.
    As I think I said, if it came down to IU vs Clemson, That’s the one I think IU comes out the least favorably.
    Why are you making it all about only two teams? There will be a lot more than IU and Seton Hall going for those last few spots

  11. #67
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why are you making it all about only two teams? There will be a lot more than IU and Seton Hall going for those last few spots
    Yes there will be. Two fell last night in TCU and Texas. Hoosier fans are actually pulling for Purdue and UK tonight. Tennessee and Kansas wins as well tonight. Minnesota, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., and Oklahoma are teams we want to see lose.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  12. #68
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Per Rivals.....



    Speaking of make-or-break weeks, there are five teams standing out to me as having incredibly important weeks ahead of them when it comes to their NCAA Tournament chances. I wanted to touch on them real quick.

    Arizona State - The entire country has spent the winter banging on the Pac-12 and openly wondering whether or not the league deserves a second team in the Big Dance. The Sun Devils would look to have the best chance as they have some impressive wins (to go with some inexplicable losses). But a win at Arizona to close out the season would be really helpful to their chances. If they lose on Saturday, there’s a good chance they’ll have no alternative but to win the Pac-12 Tournament.

    Indiana - It’s crazy that Indiana is even within sniffing distance of the NCAA Tournament at 15-14 overall and just 6-12 in the Big Ten. But beating Michigan State for a second time has kept the Hoosiers' hopes alive. If they can beat Illinois and Rutgers this week and then get at least one (preferably two) wins in the Big Ten Tournament then the Hoosiers would have a great shot at making the field of 68 despite a stretch where they lost 12 of 13 during Big Ten play.

    Minnesota - If the season ended today, then Minnesota is likely in. But, the Gophers still have games at home against Purdue and on the road against Maryland. A win over either of them should have Minnesota in pretty good shape but it can’t afford to lose both games. If the Gophers miss the NCAA Tournament again, one has to worry some for Richard Pitino’s future in Minneapolis.

    Oklahoma - Despite only being 6-10 in Big 12 play, the NET ranking still likes the Sooners a lot and at No. 42, they would seem to be in good shape. But, they finish conference play by hosting Kansas and going on the road to Kansas State. Not an easy road for a team that is getting closer and closer to the bubble. Win at least one of them and they look pretty good but if they lose them both it’s really hard to see a team with a 6-12 conference record making the field without some kind of minor miracle.

    Ohio State - The Buckeyes ship has been taking on water as they’ve dropped to 18-11 overall (8-10 in Big Ten play) and lost star Kaleb Wesson for an indefinite amount of time due to suspension. Luckily, the schedule looks pretty favorable for their final week. If they can’t beat Northwestern they probably don’t deserve to be in the Tournament and getting a chance to host ranked Wisconsin and rack of one last quality win in their season finale bodes well for Chris Holtmann’s group.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  13. #69
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think beating 3 non tournament bound teams should be what gets them in.
    Beating 3 non tourney wont be what gets them in, but losing to 1 of them will keep them out!
    I'm out...like a fat kid in dodgeball

  14. Likes:

    Assembly Hall (03-05-2019),BRM13 (03-06-2019),Hoosier Red (03-07-2019),Revering4Blue (03-05-2019),Sea Ray (03-05-2019)

  15. #70
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Well we got some help last night, but we also got some hurt. Right now, I am thinking the only way we got a chance is to win out and win two in the BTT. And then just maybe. Or we could just win the tournament to get the auto bid.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  16. #71
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Well we got some help last night, but we also got some hurt. Right now, I am thinking the only way we got a chance is to win out and win two in the BTT. And then just maybe. Or we could just win the tournament to get the auto bid.
    I wouldn't worry about the other games. All you can do is win.

    Personally I think it's nuts that you're even contemplating an NCAA bid. Look, you've won 4 games in the calendar yr. That's right, 4 wins in all of 2019 and you needed a total of 3 OTs to win those. You're 4-12 in 2019. And you're thinking wins against a couple teams in the 90s of NET rankings (Illinois, Rutgers) could vault you into the tournament? What kind of world is this?

    If you're in a 4-12 hole, you gotta do a helluva lot more than that to earn a spot.

  17. Likes:

    jimbo (03-06-2019)

  18. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,698

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the other games. All you can do is win.

    Personally I think it's nuts that you're even contemplating an NCAA bid. Look, you've won 4 games in the calendar yr. That's right, 4 wins in all of 2019 and you needed a total of 3 OTs to win those. You're 4-12 in 2019. And you're thinking wins against a couple teams in the 90s of NET rankings (Illinois, Rutgers) could vault you into the tournament? What kind of world is this?
    If you're in a 4-12 hole, you gotta do a helluva lot more than that to earn a spot.
    That would be true if the games played prior to the calendar turning have no impact.
    Also, worth noting that pretty much everyone here is suggesting they'd have to win at least one probably two in the Big Ten Tournament. So that's 4 wins likely between now and the Tournament selection.
    I'm not saying they're definitely in, but I think when looking at the overall resume, there's no question IU is and deserves to be in the conversation.

    According to the composite of all the matrices tracked here; http://www.bracketmatrix.com/ the Hoosiers are currently in the first four out. That seems fair. Add 4 wins to their resume and my guess is they move up. Three wins could do it, but is probably not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  19. Likes:

    Assembly Hall (03-06-2019),dubc47834 (03-07-2019),Revering4Blue (03-06-2019)

  20. #73
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the other games. All you can do is win.

    Personally I think it's nuts that you're even contemplating an NCAA bid. Look, you've won 4 games in the calendar yr. That's right, 4 wins in all of 2019 and you needed a total of 3 OTs to win those. You're 4-12 in 2019. And you're thinking wins against a couple teams in the 90s of NET rankings (Illinois, Rutgers) could vault you into the tournament? What kind of world is this?

    If you're in a 4-12 hole, you gotta do a helluva lot more than that to earn a spot.
    Us contemplating a tournament bid is like you contemplating about a bowl bid.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  21. #74
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,171

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Us contemplating a tournament bid is like you contemplating about a bowl bid.
    Bowl talk from an IU fan? You gotta be kidding me. Your record was just as pathetic as the Vols last yr. While we're at it, when was the last time your team had a football season over .500? Your football record is about as pathetic as it gets. Just sayin'

    As of the last couple of yrs I had no such contemplations. Having said that, half the Div 1 schools get into Bowl games whereas only about a sixth get into the NCAA tournament, thus this is a much more exclusive group. Just about every .500 Div 1 team gets into a Bowl.



    Here's the issue. Is IU even capable of stringing a few wins together or is such thinking dreamy?

  22. #75
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    1,968

    Re: Hoosier Basketball: Archie’s Tiki Torch

    Stringing a few wins together against the two remaining teams on their regular season schedule, plus one game in the B1G tournament?

    Yes, it's possible; not saying that it WILL happen.

    Stringing a few wins together against NCAA Tournament-caliber teams?

    I have my doubts; as free throw shooting woes alone could come back to haunt the team.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator