Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Country Song of All Time

Re: Best Country Song of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    That’s pretty much where I’m at as well. Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Conway Twitty, and Marty Robbins.

But don’t forget Dottie, Tammy, Loretta, and Dolly.

The Country Music Hall of Fame and a show at the Ryman is a must if you’re ever in Nashville. Just great.

My wife is a late arrival for country but loves it. For our anniversary this year, I bought 2 Country Megatickets at Riverbend. 7 shows, Dierks Bentley, Rascal Flatts, Luke Bryan (her favorite), Brad Paisley, FGL, Thomas Rhett, and Jason Andean. I guess I need to buy a cowboy hat.
    aren't there any country artists there?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Likes:

GAC (03-01-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Surprised there's no Guy Clark picks.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-07-2019),westofyou (03-01-2019)

The same thing that happened to C&W music happened to NASCAR. It got preppy! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Boo. Boo to that.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

9. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Could anyone see Merle, Waylon, or George singing a song like Achy Breaky Heart? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Boy, there are so many. Can't give any love to Tennessee Whiskey though, because it's a complete ripoff is Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind". A lot of other great suggestions though.

Even "Trashy Women" by Confederate Railroad deserves an honorable mention.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me...

I live not far from Bellamy Brothers Boulevard.

- - - Updated - - -

I try to embrace it all. Listened to Everly Brothers then Alice in Chains today.

But this country talk has me kinda wanting to put some old stuff on.
    I gotta say, I'm mostly a Classic Rock Guy. I had been listening to Pink Floyd and the Doors when I stumbled on this thread. It's been George Strait stuff since then.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-02-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-03-2019),goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Boy, there are so many. Can't give any love to Tennessee Whiskey though, because it's a complete ripoff is Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind". A lot of other great suggestions though.

Even "Trashy Women" by Confederate Railroad deserves an honorable mention.
    I think Jerry Jeff Walker wrote that. Not sure why I know that. Fun song.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Could anyone see Merle, Waylon, or George singing a song like Achy Breaky Heart? LOL
    Springsteen actually used to do it in concerts. Claimed he liked the song. I lived in Nashville not long after it was out, and there was a story that the writer had been peddling the song around town for years to the point that it was an object of mockery.

But Billy Ray turned it into a couple of nice mansions.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

18. Likes:

GAC (03-03-2019),goreds2 (03-04-2019)

They have all recorded songs just as hokey. I remember George singing a song about drinking from a Flintstone jelly jar.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    They have all recorded songs just as hokey. I remember George singing a song about drinking from a Flintstone jelly jar.
    Absolutely true. But I'm talking more about the beat (style) of the song, not lyrical, and that it just doesn't "fit" into the C&W genre that I grew up with.

JMO, but I loved southern rock (from Allman Brothers to Lynyrd Skynyrd), and I think that has had a big influence on today's C&W artists.

And I noticed this gentleman hasn't been mentioned (my Dad really liked him) ....

Last edited by GAC; 03-03-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Absolutely true. But I'm talking more about the beat (style) of the song, not lyrical, and that it just doesn't "fit" into the C&W genre that I grew up with. (

JMO, but I loved southern rock (from Allman Brothers to Lynyrd Skynyrd), and I think that has had a big influence on today's C&W artists.

And I noticed this gentleman hasn't been mentioned (my Dad really liked him) ....

Does any of the new country songs fit into traditional country sounds? I think it’s more pop/boy band esqe contrived drivel.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I was a Freshman in college. A stupid move, and I'd lost my sweetheart. "Misery and Gin" just released that summer, was my story. Loved that song then, and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I pulled the head off Elvis
    Filled Fred up to his pelvis
    Yabba Dabba Doo, the King is gone
    And so are you

25. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2019),redsfanmia (03-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?