Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Iglesias

Re: Jose Iglesias

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This move convinces me that the Reds are confident with Senzel as the everyday CF.
    it could mean Iglesias at SS an Peraza CF

2. Turn Off Ads?

On an MiLB deal as insurance for a Peraza injury, this is a very good signing. If he actually winds up on the MLB bench on opening day, then I don’t like it all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Not starting, but once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    You mean like Blake Trahan, or Alex Blandino? Or maybe you mean Carlten Daal? Who is this plus-bat SS you speak of?
    I'd personally plug Senzel in at SS on a once a month or a couple innings a week basis and sub Schebler in as CF. YMMV, of course.

As to who could take Peraza's spot if he gets injured, Trahan's on the 40-man. Blandino is too, if they think he can be serviceable defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    50 seems extreme. If he gets more than 300 PAs, something has probably gone wrong (for reference, the 2013 Reds wasted about that many on Jack Hannahan and Cesar Izturis). Less than that and he'll be fine, and be providing a good amount of value with his glove.

Even with his weak bat, Iglesias had a better season offensively than like 7-8 shortstops slated for starting roles in 2019. Can't ask for too much more from a backup infield who plays very well up the middle.
    Problem is, his 90 wRC+ in 2018 is seven points higher than his career wRC+.

Look at the other options available. Kemp is 20% better than league average. Schebler's 10%. Dietrich's 10%. Casali's 15%.

If Iglesias is anything below a 90 wRC+, he shouldn't see any AB's. And that assumes a Gold Glove defense.

Iglesias is arguably a top 5 defensive SS in MLB. Guys like Trahan, Blandino, and even Peraza aren't in his league defensively. Igelsias had an .865 ops in 97 PA vs LHP last year. If you use him in the right matchups there's no reason he can't give the team 200 or so productive AB's.
    Last edited by JCM11; 02-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.

8. Likes:

DocRed (02-23-2019),malcontent (02-23-2019),Old school 1983 (02-22-2019),Redeyecat (02-24-2019)

I doubt the Reds see Blandino as a true SS at this stage. That kind of makes him a marginal MLB player, because his bat doesn't really play as a super-utility who can't play SS or OF. I liked him coming up, and was willing to give him even more chances than he got last season, but he sputtered in most opportunities (except in relief). Much like Jose Lopez, he may find himself getting a courtesy DFA if a true SS vet like Iglesias is brought in.

Senzel at SS, even as a once-a-month backup, is likely in the rear-view mirror too.

And please, no Peraza in CF. And I'd hate to see more than a handful of games where Schebler's noodle arm is in CF. I think I'd rather just put Puig there.

10. Likes:

JCM11 (02-22-2019),OGB (02-22-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

For those having 2013 Cesar Izturis flashbacks, fear not. Jose Iglesias is a much better player than Cesar Izturis. Cesar’s last fullish year was 2010 and he rocked a -0.4 fWAR in 513 PA. He then only got 33 major league PAs in 2011 and then did nothing with his 173 major league PAs in 2012 sporting another -0.4 fWAR before coming to the Reds and doing nothing in 2013.

Jose Iglesias had a 2.5 fWAR last year, and has had at least a 1.5 fWAR for each of the last five years. He also had the aforementioned 90 wRC+ last year and Steamer projects him as an 84 wRC+ in 2019. Their holistic projection for him in 2019 is a 1.3 fWAR in only 370 PAs across 94 games.

Iglesias is much closer to Jose Peraza in terms of performance than Izturis. I am a big Connor Joe fan, but I am more than OK with Iglesias holding a bench spot all year. At full strength, the Reds already have three good bench bats with Dietrich, Kemp and Schebler, so they can afford a glove who can swing the bat a little bit if needed in a pinch. It doesn’t hurt that Schebler and Kemp both hit lefties and righties reasonably well.

12. Likes:

malcontent (02-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Problem is, his 90 wRC+ in 2018 is seven points higher than his career wRC+.

Look at the other options available. Kemp is 20% better than league average. Schebler's 10%. Dietrich's 10%. Casali's 15%.

If Iglesias is anything below a 90 wRC+, he shouldn't see any AB's. And that assumes a Gold Glove defense.
    You're really going all in with this "defense doesn't matter" philosophy" lol

Any SS who is even average defensively, with a 90 wRC+, is going to start and make lots of money.

Considering the Reds have a strong bench offensively, it really isn't a big deal to have a glove first backup SS. He will get around 100 PA's, be not very good at the plate, but provide the defense they so desperately need. It's all about balancing the roster. Iglesias does that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    No.
    There has literally been nothing said or done to indicate Peraza is going to the outfield.

I mean, the Reds COULD sign Betty White as a minor league hitting instructor. It won't happen, though.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

16. Likes:

757690 (02-22-2019),BillDoran (02-22-2019),Kinsm (02-23-2019),OhioRiverBarge (02-22-2019)

Every manager now has to have a 13 man staff apparently. Does not matter how forward thinking these managers are they all end up mimicking everything else. Now you will have a weaker bench because of it all for a 13 man staff.
    If anyone can play the position in an energency for 1 game until they have to call him up from Triple A if they have no choice that would be great. If not have fun giving AB to Juan Castro. More AB than you would have given to a Rick Auerbach circa 1977. I guess they look at Lorenzen as the extra bench player?

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Maybe Scooter is getting traded and they have a platoon at 2b?
    Maybe Jose gets used as a throw in piece for a trade w Scooter or Kemp?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Better, IMO, to let the bog dogs rip for a game and deal with D if Peraza gets hurt.
    Bog Dogs would be an awesome name for a minor league team!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Yeah, something has to be up with one of Schebler or Kemp as David seemed pretty adamant about 13 pitchers.

I know people fall all over the map on their views about defensive statistics but I'm confident in saying you should disregard anything you see that paints Iglesias as being anywhere in the ballpark of an average defensive shortstop. Other than Simmons I'm not sure anyone else is on his level. He's really, really good.

21. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-22-2019),BillDoran (02-22-2019),goldglover9 (02-24-2019),Kc61 (02-22-2019),Kurt Stillwell (02-22-2019),lollipopcurve (02-22-2019),mace (02-22-2019),malcontent (02-23-2019),Old school 1983 (02-22-2019),Revering4Blue (02-23-2019),texasdave (02-22-2019),Tom Servo (02-23-2019),Wonderful Monds (02-22-2019)

I could see an issue with Iglesias getting enougn playing time. He’s always been a starting shortstop, you’d figure Reds will have to convince him he’ll get some PT. Don’t need him in an unhappy situation.

On the positive side, he could be a great mentor for Peraza.

I guess with all the debate, any time you can get a player of Jose Iglesias’ ability, you try and do it. As long as he fits within the budget, you just work things out. I’ve always admired his SS play, would like to see it happen.

23. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-22-2019),JCM11 (02-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?