Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 180

Thread: The Sonny Gray Thread

  1. #46
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Thanks for your pointless non-rebuttal. Anyone else unable to argue my point?
    Your "point" is at best a dull attempt at trolling an already worn out Redszone meme. Every team has injury concerns all the time. Kremcheck has been the Reds team physician for decades and you named two relievers who got injured during his tenure and want to throw some blame at his feet for some absurd reason.
    And you brought it all up because a current Reds pitcher--who's not actually hurt--missed a start with arm stiffness in spring training, something that happens all the time.
    Kremcheck is a well respected doctor/surgeon and your post was an ignorant, half-baked attempt at pot stirring on a baseball message board where practically everyone else reading said post is immeasurably more intelligent than you.
    Hence, nobody responded to it but me, because I'm dumb and I take troll bait.
    Blaming doctors for injuries in sports is about as intelligent as blaming the fence when an outfielder runs into it and hurts himself.
    Is that better?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  2. Likes:

    Chip R (03-12-2019),HammerTime (03-12-2019),Hoosier Red (03-12-2019),TRF (03-19-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #47
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,468

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Your "point" is at best a dull attempt at trolling an already worn out Redszone meme. Every team has injury concerns all the time. Kremcheck has been the Reds team physician for decades and you named two relievers who got injured during his tenure and want to throw some blame at his feet for some absurd reason.
    And you brought it all up because a current Reds pitcher--who's not actually hurt--missed a start with arm stiffness in spring training, something that happens all the time.
    Kremcheck is a well respected doctor/surgeon and your post was an ignorant, half-baked attempt at pot stirring on a baseball message board where practically everyone else reading said post is immeasurably more intelligent than you.
    Hence, nobody responded to it but me, because I'm dumb and I take troll bait.
    Blaming doctors for injuries in sports is about as intelligent as blaming the fence when an outfielder runs into it and hurts himself.
    Is that better?
    That's a lot more words but the same amount of actual content.

    The Reds have been in the top 5 for injuries on nearly every report I've seen since Kremcheck has taken over in 1996. Here's the last one I remembered seeing on fangraphs and another I just found:

    2002-2011: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/10-year-...d-list-trends/
    #4 in Pitcher trips to the DL and #2 in Pitcher days lost to the DL.

    2013-2017: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2017-d...t-information/
    #3 in Pitcher trips to DL and #2 in Pitcher days lost to the DL
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 03-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  5. #48
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    That's a lot more words but the same amount of actual content.

    The Reds have been in the top 5 for injuries on nearly every report I've seen since Kremcheck has taken over in 1996. Here's the last one I remembered seeing on fangraphs and another I just found:

    2002-2011: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/10-year-...d-list-trends/
    #4 in Pitcher trips to the DL and #2 in Pitcher days lost to the DL.

    2013-2017: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2017-d...t-information/
    #3 in Pitcher trips to DL and #2 in Pitcher days lost to the DL
    Blaming a physician for every trip to the DL is like blaming your mechanic because your car needs new brakes.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  6. Likes:

    HammerTime (03-12-2019),RED VAN HOT (03-19-2019)

  7. #49
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    In 2012, the Reds 5 starting pitchers didn't miss a single game. Was Kremcheck having an uncharacteristically good year or something? What's that all about?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  8. Likes:

    TRF (03-19-2019)

  9. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,700

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    I hope Sonny Grey is not a hybrid of

    Sonny Ruberto and ace reliever Jeff Grey
    Look, this isn't the first time Sonny came home with a pitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

  10. #51
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,468

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    In 2012, the Reds 5 starting pitchers didn't miss a single game. Was Kremcheck having an uncharacteristically good year or something? What's that all about?
    I pointed out a long-term, observable trend against every other comparable franchise.

    You pointed out that 1) cars brakes wear over time and 2) that in one cherry-picked year, Reds pitchers were injured less than most of the league.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  11. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I pointed out a long-term, observable trend against every other comparable franchise.

    You pointed out that 1) cars brakes wear over time and 2) that in one cherry-picked year, Reds pitchers were injured less than most of the league.
    I do not believe that the Reds are high on the list because of the Medical staff. They are high on the list because of the lousy way they handled pitchers work loads especially the increase in innings between years. Many of the starting pitchers that got injured came after huge jumps in innings pitched. And once you get injured it is easy to get injured again roughly 80% of guys that are injured during this year were hurt last year.

  12. Likes:

    M2 (03-19-2019),Revering4Blue (03-23-2019),Ron Madden (03-19-2019),TRF (03-19-2019)

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Redsland
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    That's a lot more words but the same amount of actual content.

    The Reds have been in the top 5 for injuries on nearly every report I've seen since Kremcheck has taken over in 1996. Here's the last one I remembered seeing on fangraphs and another I just found:

    2002-2011: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/10-year-...d-list-trends/
    #4 in Pitcher trips to the DL and #2 in Pitcher days lost to the DL.

    2013-2017: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2017-d...t-information/
    #3 in Pitcher trips to DL and #2 in Pitcher days lost to the DL
    I think having good pitchers is what makes the difference.

  14. Likes:

    HammerTime (03-14-2019),OGB (03-12-2019)

  15. #54
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    I pointed out a long-term, observable trend against every other comparable franchise.

    You pointed out that 1) cars brakes wear over time and 2) that in one cherry-picked year, Reds pitchers were injured less than most of the league.
    Cherry picking? If that second list was from 2012-2017 the results would be completely different. Your argument is based around compiling historical injury data and then omitting the year where the Reds were healthier than almost any team in the league.

    And somehow making the leap that doctors cause injuries.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  16. #55
    Backup First Baseman OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,095

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    That's a lot more words but the same amount of actual content.
    Apparently you glossed over the part of that post where I pointed out that Sonny Gray isn't injured. He may become injured at some point. It happens in sports. He didn't come to the Reds with some ailment that Kremcheck missed or misdiagnosed.

    That said, maybe you should leave this thread and start a new one since the Kremcheck talk isn't applicable here.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

  17. #56
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23,352

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    My two cents is that the injury bug is directly linked to the low budget approach to stocking the roster. You buy a fixer upper because it's affordable, expect to spend time and money on repairs. You buy a completely restored property where everything is immaculate and new, it costs a lot of dough, but the repairs are minimal until it gets some age or mileage on it. It's why I've never bought the bad luck argument over the last few years. It's not bad luck when you hitch your wagon to guys with a known injury history.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  18. Likes:

    marcshoe (03-19-2019),Revering4Blue (03-23-2019)

  19. #57
    Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    ‘Nati
    Posts
    1,646

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Anybody else notice tomorrow is Sonny’s day to pitch, but Sims is scheduled to start?

    Wonder if they’re jimmy-rigging the rotation to get Sonny lined up for OD.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

  20. Likes:

    757690 (03-18-2019),Griffey012 (03-19-2019),Old school 1983 (03-19-2019)

  21. #58
    Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    ‘Nati
    Posts
    1,646

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    MLB has Sims today, Roark tomorrow, Disco Wednesday. If Sonny pitches Thursday or Friday, he’ll be lined up for OD with an extra day of rest thrown in there somewhere. My guess is he pitches a bullpen today or tomorrow, starts Friday.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

  22. Likes:

    Griffey012 (03-19-2019),marcshoe (03-19-2019),Ron Madden (03-19-2019)

  23. #59
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Evil Pugomancer
    Posts
    9,363

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    MLB has Sims today, Roark tomorrow, Disco Wednesday. If Sonny pitches Thursday or Friday, he’ll be lined up for OD with an extra day of rest thrown in there somewhere. My guess is he pitches a bullpen today or tomorrow, starts Friday.
    Thanks; I got out a calendar earlier, but didn't get around to looking at it.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

  24. #60
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    19,743

    Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    How many times have our pitchers been injured and it was missed by Kremcheck?

    Gary Majewski, Ryan Madson come immediately to mind.
    Probably as many times as it has happened to literally every professional sports teams on earth?

    Looking for perfect records in medicine is like tilting at windmills.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator