Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Tom Terrific" battles Dementia

Re: "Tom Terrific" battles Dementia

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This card was in the first pack of baseball cards I ever bought, so Seaver was always a favorite of mine, even before he became a Red.

Attachment 14642
    Is this a 74 card? This was one of the coolest sets ever with all of the action shots. My first Seaver card would be a 78 one with him in a Reds uni.

Thanks for posting that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

757690 (03-08-2019),goreds2 (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Is this a 74 card? This was one of the coolest sets ever with all of the action shots. My first Seaver card would be a 78 one with him in a Reds uni.

Thanks for posting that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good call. Yes, that is the 1974 set, and it was full of great action shots. A nice clean design too, making it one of my favorite years of cards.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

5. Likes:

goreds2 (03-08-2019)

Seaver also pitched for Mets?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

7. Likes:

Always Red (03-13-2019),dreghorntwo (03-14-2019),wlf WV (10-13-2019)

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

My prayers and best wishes go out to this HOF Piitcher, his family and friends.

I’ve always thought Tom was one of the true definitions of Class..

10. Likes:

Always Red (03-13-2019),cumberlandreds (03-08-2019),goreds2 (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-13-2019),Roy Tucker (03-08-2019)

He was my first favorite player. When I was a 7 year old pitcher mowing down batters, umpires, and backstops all across Miami Valley little league fields in the early 80’s, I was channeling my inner Tom Seaver. I was crushed when he didn’t win the Cy in 81, (he was robbed) and then when he was traded after the 82 season.

This is sad news. Getting old sucks.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (03-08-2019),cumberlandreds (03-08-2019),dreghorntwo (03-14-2019),goreds2 (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-13-2019)

I really hated to hear about this. He would have been one of the last people you would have thought would have this terrible disease. He had such a bright and articulate mind. You could tell by the way he talked and carried himself he was a very smart person. As we know this disease does not discriminate. Seaver was always one of my favorite MLB players even before he was a Red. Before he came to Cincinnati I would think how nice it would be for him to play for the Reds. But I would always think then it would never happen. When the rumors in 1977 started to ramp up that the Mets wanted to move and the Reds were interested I couldn't believe it. When it finally happened I was estatic. The Reds would now over come the Dodgers and cruise to the pennant and be unstoppable for the next few seasons. Well it didn't quite happen that way but it was a pure delight to see him pitch for the Reds. As someone else said the battery of Seaver and Bench may have been the best of all time. I always hoped he would broadcast more than he did. He was very well spoken and certainly knew the game. But I guess he just didn't want all the travel that goes with that and I had always read and heard he was very happy tending to his vineyards in California. My best goes out to him and his family. It's a terrible disease that I have seen first hand with my mother. I can only hope things goes as well as possible for the Seaver family over the next few months or years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Always Red (03-13-2019),Big Klu (03-08-2019),goreds2 (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-13-2019),Roy Tucker (03-08-2019),Tracy Jones (03-08-2019)

I will never forget when my father and I were riding in the pickup truck and heard about the trade to get Tom Seaver. Like cumberlandreds said, I thought we were going to win the division and a 3rd straight World Series. Unfortunately, he could not start EVERY game for the Reds that year.

I got this poster at a giveaway going to a Reds game I think in 1978. It is in my basement and now am going to make a point to hang in up somewhere. I recently moved and have not had a chance to place it anywhere. Here is the poster picture..........

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 1995 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-13-2019),Tracy Jones (03-08-2019)

giving up Dan Norman was huge

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a funny story from Reds Fantasy camp When the Reds traded for Seaver, Pete Rose knew about it first, so he called Doug Flynn over and said to him Hey youve been traded to the Mets, and Flynn said for whom and Rose said Seaver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Likes:

goreds2 (03-08-2019)

Really sad to hear this. Seaver was one of my favorite players even before he was a Red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I was just using Seaver as an example for my 11 year-old pitchers who don't seem to want to use their back led to drive off the rubber and who stay remarkably upright throughout their delivery. Told them about Seaver's knee getting dirty because he got so low.

Very sad to hear, and I hope his mental decline is very slow.

21. Likes:

cr_redsfan (03-08-2019),cumberlandreds (03-08-2019)

I'm so sorry to hear this news, as he was so smart and what you want a pitcher to be. I still remember the day the Reds got him from the Mets. He should've won the Cy Young in '81 - he was so consistent and I thought better than Valenzuela. It was always great if you got to go to a Reds game that he was starting.

23. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2019),dreghorntwo (03-14-2019),goreds2 (03-08-2019)

TIL that Seaver lived about 20 miles from me before I moved south. He and his family have a small vinyard at the north end of Napa Valley and make some higher end wines.

It really is too bad and very sad, but aging happens to the best of us. Hopefully he lives out the rest of his days in relative comfort.
    The world is a messy place. People are inconsistent and complicated. Maybe we should see how different things could be if we gave grace and forgiveness to our fellow human beings when they fail to be perfect in our eyes. -- me

25. Likes:

goreds2 (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-13-2019),Ron Madden (03-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's tragic. One of the things that always stood out about Seaver was his active mind. Hate to hear that's going on him.
    I was too young to really get to see and know what I was watching with him-I remember seeing him pitch but didn't realize just how good he was at the time.
    I have heard much about how smart he was, as a pitcher and person which I can only imagine makes this disease so much more harder to accept and deal with. When Dean Smith was diagnosed and going through this so many stories came out about how sharp a mind he always had, could remember every name/detail he came across and so sad to see him lose that.
    My dad retired almost 2 years ago, 45+ years of teaching anatomy and physiology, knew it frontwards and backwards. Said it was becoming too hard to recall what he knew so well, and has been diagnosed with dementia now as well, and it hurts to watch him going downhill physically and mentally so quickly after retirement. I am glad Mr. Seaver already had his vineyard going, and can be in that environment and use it as a therapy for now.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

27. Likes:

goreds2 (03-08-2019),Revering4Blue (03-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I was just using Seaver as an example for my 11 year-old pitchers who don't seem to want to use their back led to drive off the rubber and who stay remarkably upright throughout their delivery. Told them about Seaver's knee getting dirty because he got so low.

Very sad to hear, and I hope his mental decline is very slow.
    I can remember throwing in my backyard and emulating Seaver my trying to get my knee dirty like his.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

29. Likes:

Boston Red (03-08-2019),BRM13 (03-08-2019),goreds2 (03-08-2019),Tracy Jones (03-08-2019),westofyou (03-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?